• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis and their grading

82 posts in this topic

Yes it's all old. But, unlike BIG JIM who is probably rather small... I am new and I asked a simple question. What is the relationship between High GRade Comics and Metropolis? What is the relationship between CGC and any of them? Why does Metropolis send all their really good stuff to be graded, then saves the rest for others as they jack up the grade and price????? Answers???? Lick this

You guys are classic especially awe4one and his ad nauseum . But, hey, this is my first day. I'm not nauseated by you yet

Maybe not...but you've become old in less than a dozen posts...Congrats... (thumbs u

Jim

Just use this function.

*** You are ignoring this user *** :cloud9:

Yes. All of the examples will be such. I have a few that will be coming back soon as well. I should get these back from CGC in a week or so. Curious copies. I'll know more about it after I get these back. But, the ones I have purchased and sent in.. are X-Men #106 and #104, both represented as 9.6 with white pages which were not. In addition, I thought I would buy a couple of "moderns" from them just because they claimed they were 9.8. Guess what? They came back 9.0, I was stunned. I contaced CGC and they said there was some sort of transferrence? or something like that.. I'm thinking... maybe since I sent this stuff in the Metropolis mylar that they have something against it? who knows we'll see how my Strange Tales 102 (claimed to be 8.0) but has a horrible back cover, and the Strange Tales 106 (claimed to be 8.5) to me looks 9.2 if not for the INTERIOR FRONT AND BACK COVER HALO of about an inch around... I mean really. Also. .... my wife bought me a present from them.. Strange Tales 124 in supposed 9.4 condition and I said... well.. I looked at it and it is clean. It is. I said.. 9.2 just to allow for CGC and the nit-picking. We shall see.

That's fantastic. That's all I wanted from this, not to insult people but to see if anyone has had the same problem or experience. I realize that if a comic is truly a 9.6 (an older comic), it would be sent to CGC. If it is marginal (with a flaw or two) it will be sold on their site as a 9.6. Gotcha baby

I have bought books from Metro that have come back higher and lower and right on,but I don't buy high grade, I buy vg/fns, etc...they grade on the Metropolis Scale, not the cgc scale (and they will tell you that)...the same applies the other direction, cgc grades on their scale, not the Metropolis scale, and neither company grades on my scale (or maybe your scale)...so, the old addage of buy the comic, not the grade, should be employed with any dealer....

that said, the only dealer I have bought books from that have consistently come back at, or higher from CGC, is Jim Payette....and, all the books that I grade tend to come back higher from cgc to :)

I realize that if a comic is truly a 9.6 (an older comic), it would be sent to CGC. If it is marginal (with a flaw or two) it will be sold on their site as a 9.6. Gotcha baby

This is simply not true. I have submitted for encapsulation a number of raw purchases, and many of them have come back with CGC grades matching or, uncommonly, exceeding the dealer grade on the raw book. Since comic grading is not an exact science, there will certainly be plenty of examples in which the CGC grade is lower than the dealer grade. This will occur with books from nearly ALL dealers.

If you want to solicit public opinion on the relative "tightness" of the grading of different dealers, please search the many threads addressing this topic, for it is one that has been discussed numerous times on the boards already.

it's my first day. I didn't know you Einsteins had it worked out already

No need to be condescending. Nobody here has claimed to "work" anything out regarding comic grading. Since it is your first day, it will save you a great deal of time in your search for information to find and read the many prior threads that offer a plethora of opinions on the grading strengths and weaknesses of various dealers of raw books, including Metro.

There are always pros and cons with every dealer. Some are more consistant then others.

You mentioned some dealers and I will go with that :

Bought raw from Superworld as a NM-

conan9043.jpg

Bought raw from North Coast Collectibles at a convention in Chicago as a NM

conan10046.jpg

Bought raw from HighGrade Comics as a NM

subby45006.jpg

Bought raw from Doug Sulipa as a NM-

conan25045.jpg

Another book I bought at a convention Raw as a VF/NM

jungleact5113.jpg

and believe me there are also some negative dealings.

I can also show you a bunch of positive transactions with forumites here. And no I am not a dealer and many here are also your average comic collector.

Has anyone here ever bought something from Metroplis and had it come back from CGC higher than what they said it was? My experience so far is that they are almost a full point off on the negative side. I know most of you here are dealers who sell for a living, but I would like to know experiences people have had with Metropolis or Superworld (which is even more far off)

I would try a search like so many other board members have posted already :baiting:

linky dinky for the lazy

MY RESULTS

Overgraded:

IM #21 Tremont

Metro says 9.2.....CGC says 9.0

IM # 21 (second copy)

Metro says 9.4.....CGC says 9.0

On the money:

IM #12 Tremont

Metro says 9.2.....CGC says 9.2

IM #20 Tremont

IM #22 Tremont

IM #27 Tremont

Metro says 9.6.....CGC says 9.6

(two claps, very very very sweet, newstand fresh book)

and last but not least:

The UNDERGRADED:

IM # 43 Tremont

Metro says 9.0.....CGC says 9.4

IM # 45 Tremont

Metro says 9.2.....CGC says 9.6

IM #54 Tremont

Metro says 9.3.....CGC says 9.6

Suffice to say I'm pretty impressed with Metro's grading on all of these books.

Hi. Yes, I don't need to be a member here for any amount of time to say what I feel. I'm not insulting anyone. Thanks for answering. Now, let me tell you that I have developed a report card on the various dealers that I buy from. What they stated the grade was and what it wound up being after coming back from CGC. When I get the comic from the dealer, I grade it myself, and my grading is just like CGC. Unfortunately, the dealers are not on the same page. What I really don't like is that.. when CGC first started, and I was one of the first to try out their new service, you could buy raw books for a normal price. Meaning... Overstreet. Now, the dealers price the comics AS IF they were already CGC graded, but the reality is that when you get them back from CGC they are a full grade lower, so now the dealers are really getting over. Which is why I wondered if any of you have had success with someone who is upstanding and trustworthy in their grading.

Who said anything about you not saying what you feel?? Geez, just trying to help you out dawg.

Thanks,. JIMI .. it's my first day. I didn't know you Einsteins had it worked out already

That's because you were in such a rush to get your answers that you didn't think "hey, maybe someone else has already asked + answered my question."

Sarcastic responses from new posters go over here like steel wool-lined pantyhose. You might want to take a day or so and read through the forums before you ask your next question. Or not. Just hop into general and ask everyone what they think about pressing as it relates to restoration