• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deamentia's WonderCon Report - Day 2

48 posts in this topic

Lots of photos at the link below. Here's the my rundown...

http://weeklycomicbookreview.com/wondercon-2008/

Day 2

WonderCon Day 2 was packed. Despite heavy rains and 65 MPH winds, fans flocked to the convention and packed the floor. Here, once again, are some of my observations and highlights of the show.

* Tracked down Mark Bagley as he got to his seat at Artist Alley. Had him do me and another person from the CGC Boards a nice sketch on a “Fallen Son” blank cover. He did was wonderful Mary Jane for me on the back as well. He also told me he’s already working on DC’s Trinity #4!

* Missed getting a sketch again from Tim Sale. Rats!

* Arthur Adams is booked forever when it comes to sketches. He keeps telling me to come back but it’s not been working out.

* Saw my old friend Jeremy Love who did the online comic Bayou for DC’s Zuda Comic line. His art has come so far in the last 15 years. It’s great to see him doing well.

* Jim Lee’s cronies begin writing on people’s thumbs at 10:30AM - giving everyone a number for when Jim comes to sign at 11:30. He *never* shows up but does show up at the Hero Initiative booth at 12:30PM where anyone who wants two autographs is charged $10. I pay $20, get the books I needed signed, and he refuses to do any sketches (despite the tiny line of people). I am not pleased. Biggest disappointment for me at WonderCon so far.

* Picked up some awesome Betty Page prints but some famous guy who’s name I forget.

* Met a ton more board members especially at the dinner.

* The X-Files 2 Panel was a lot of fun. I thought Star Trek fans were nerdy, but female X-File fans are 10 times worse! David Duchovny and Chris Carter making fun of a fan dressed up as Link from Zelda was the funniest thing ever.

* The Iron Man movie looks hot!!! We got to see new footage of Stark testing his boots and then the Mark II armor. We also hear Jarvis pleading with him not to take the armor for the test drive. During this sequence we get to see the heads up display that Stark uses in the armor. It’s just amazing.

* Where is the Hulk footage? This movie’s due out in May!

* Chris shelled out $700 for an Aaron Lopresti Red Sonja cover. Beautiful piece of work.

* Picked up a Spider-Man Vs. Venom statue for $125 only to break it when I got home (dropped it on the ground). Anyone have any glue recommendations?

* Pixar’s Wall-E is going to be an amazing movie. I couldn’t believe what I was watching. The visual effects for that movie is heads and shoulders above anything Pixar’s ever done. It also carries that kind of sci-fi mystique of movies made in the early to mid-1980s. It’s going to be incredible.

* I became a Certified CGC Signature Series witness! Thanks to Paul and Chris for getting me in.

* Daniel tracked down Ben Templesmith to get his Fell book signed. He introduced himself as the man who gave his Wormwood a scathing review. Templesmith chuckled and told me he appreciated his honesty.

Good con this year. I was happy. Seemed bigger. It was also nice to meet some new faces.

On another note, I heard over the rumor mill that another one of the Church mega keys was just graded. Sounds cool. I don't know if its common knowledge or not so I'll wait.

great report! i'm very sorry to read about what happened to your statue. That X-Files panel must have been awesome. I absolutely love and miss that show.

this sounds like a really solid con. I hope Kevin Boyd got all my sketches done for me that I requested.

Games Workshop makes two products, when combined, will do a great job of putting your statue back together. The first is called "green stuff," essentially, an epoxy-based putty. The second is a fine epoxy-type of glue. You can find these supplies anywhere Warhammer / Warhammer 40,000 models are sold and usually run somewhere around $20 or so for both items.

1. Take an oh-so-small piece of greenstuff, wet it, and roll it so the blue and yellow mix evenly.

2. Roll this piece into a flattened, round shape. You're going to want to put this little gluey-pancake in between the two pieces, so it should be half the size of the piece. (i.e. the arm broke and it's the width of a quarter. The green stuff piece should be no larger than half a quarter).

3. Take a little bit of the epoxy glue and put a drop on the green stuff. DO NOT GET ANY ON THE OUTTER PORTION OF THE STATUE!!! Otherwise, it will create a filmy residue and won't look too hot.

4. You will need to find a way to hold the broken pieces in place while it dries, but believe me. This stuff will do a phenomenal job of holding it together.

I hope this helps man!

Hey, let's see some names to those faces from the forum dinner! :grin: I really, really like that Lopresti Fallen Son sketch--a very nice Spidey sketch!

I totally would if I could remember everyone's handle!

wondercon_day2_26.jpg

L to R (including background): The Brain, Poverty Row, Houseofcomics, Divad and Rosland