• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your most expensive comic buy

36 posts in this topic

I have to update my most expensive purchase..I managed to negotiate out a deal with a private collector and purchased a very nice CGC 9.0 copy of ASM 1 for a little over 15k and some stuff in trade. Needless to say, my excitement was short lived as I had to leave it at home as I don't trust my collection to this college city :\

Brian

$2400 for Avengers 4 in CGC 9.2. I probably overpaid, but it is my favorite comic next to Captain America 1, which I'm sure I will never be able to own. A 9.4 would probably run $4000, so I "settled" for a 9.2. I can only justify that purchase based on the proceeds from my Giant Size XMen 1 in CGC 9.6 that I sold a couple years ago at $1825. I wish I still had that book, it usually sells for about $2200 - $2400 now. I also once spent nearly $2 G's on a Special Edition 1 in mid-grade unrestored. Another foolish purchase, but it's a superb, undervalued Golden Age treasure, with Kirby through-and-through art.

My most expensive buy was $450. Bought a bunch of books in the $100-300 range.

Side note: When I was younger a friend of mine was neighbors with a guy who was a Marvel freak! He had everything! Coolest book I ever saw was his AF#15, he still had the receipt and certificate. It said (I'll paraphrase):

Mr. ****, Congrats on your purchase of AF#15, the first app. of Spider-Man for $4.00.

Uhg! Can you imagine! And he had 2 copies! Soooooo Jealous!

Chris

My most expensive comic buy happened about a year ago. A guy comes around to my table at the show looking for $100 for a raw ASM 129. Looking at the book I expected it to slab around 9.0, but I had a wantlist customer at the shop looking to pay $150 for a similar copy, so I picked it up.

Five minutes later, the dealer next to me leans over and asks me if I am willing to buy his Fine+ copy of X-Men 1 for $500. I have bought from him before and know hs grading is tight, so I ask what the deal is. He tells me he's got an opportunity to buy a great collection but he's $500 short and the guy will only take cash. Check the money clip... have only $425 left in cash. Dealer friend sells the book to the guy on the other side of him.

Find out at the next show that the book came back at 7.5... So I figure the ASM 129 cost me around $2500...

More in the spirit of the question, most I have spent on a book for the shop is around $2,000 on a half-dozen different books. The most I have spent on a book for myself is $625, for my nicest copy of TOS 49...

The most money I paid was $35 and that was even for a slabbed book.

I got a X-Men #94 for fifty bucks back in 1990 at my first convention (I was 13). Turns out the book is an 8.5... not terrible. Certainly not good. lol

But the sentimental value is priceless.

The best copy I have, which I don't keep with the others, is on the cusp between 9.4 and 9.6 depending on the day. I don't want to slab it, because I have no interest in selling it. And I know that if I get it slabbed I will sell it within a couple weeks. The only reason I could see getting it slabbed is if I have another copy come through of similar caliber. Then I might slab both to know which one to keep. But considering my current 2nd best is about a 9.0, maybe a 9.2, there's no hurry.