• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This pleases me...

6 posts in this topic

This pleases me... cloud9.gif

Fantagraphics Announces Complete Peanuts Publishing Initiative

Lead Stories, Diamond Daily, Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Fantagraphics Books has announced plans to publish a complete reprinting of acclaimed cartoonist Charles M. Schulz's Peanuts, marking the first time that the long-running, beloved comic strip will be collected in its entirety.

Scheduled to launch on April 1, 2004, the 25 books in The Complete Peanuts series will be released over a 12 1/2-year period, and will be designed by Seth (Palookaville) in full cooperation with United Media, Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates, and Schulz's widow, Jean Schulz.

"Peanuts is a towering achievement in the history of comics," said Fantagraphics Co-Publisher Gary Groth. "I can't think of a better way to honor Schulz's artistic legacy than to make his oeuvre available to the public in a beautifully designed format that reflects the integrity of the work itself."

The project began in 1997 when Groth approached Schulz with the proposition of publishing Peanuts in its entirety. After Shulz's death in January 2000, Groth continued discussing the project with Jean Schulz. "It's safe to say that this project wouldn't have happened if Jean Schulz weren't as enthusiastic and supportive as she's been," said Groth.

"This seemed like an impossible project, given all the 'lost' strips," said Jean Schulz, "but Gary's determination never flagged, and we are so happy with the aesthetic sensibility of the Fantagraphics team."

"It's a genuine honor to be designing these Schulz collections," said Seth. "I want to emphasize the sophistication of Schulz's work by creating a package that is both austere and direct. I would like to try to reflect the quiet and melancholy of the strip in a package that, hopefully, shows the proper amount of respect for Mr. Schulz. Undoubtedly, Peanuts is a great newspaper strip and I am humbled and gratified to help steward this complete strip compilation into the world."

Each volume in the series will run approximately 320 pages in a 8 1/2" x 7" hardcover format, presenting daily and Sunday strips in chronological order along with supplementary material. Since the strip began in late 1950, the first volume will include all the strips from 1950-1952, but subsequent volumes will each comprise exactly two years. Dailies will run three to a page, while Sunday strips will each take up a full page and be printed in black-and-white.

They should get Lee and Loeb to do a Snoopy: Hush series and get Michael Turner on Peppermint Patty and Marcy...get Linser to do the "red headed girl" that Chalie Brown is in love with...Pat Lee can draw the Red Baron dogfights that Snoopy has as the WWI Flying Ace...

They should get Lee and Loeb to do a Snoopy: Hush series and get Michael Turner on Peppermint Patty and Marcy...get Linser to do the "red headed girl" that Chalie Brown is in love with...Pat Lee can draw the Red Baron dogfights that Snoopy has as the WWI Flying Ace...

shocked.gif Seduction of the Innocent, indeed.... grin.gif

Very good...but I think Kubert should do all the war scenes cloud9.gif

On a somewhat related note, Gary Larson has released a nice, HC two volume set of all the Far Side cartoons ever printed ($140 at Borders).

Now if they could ever get Bill Waterson to come back...

- D.