• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help!!....Need some recommended reading....

32 posts in this topic

forgot a couple by rucka. They are now being reprinted in smaller size format definitive editions which read real nice. They are about darkhorse omnibus size..

Queen and Country vol 1

Whiteout

Meltdown

If you're interested in X-Men, Morrison's New X-Men run has a lot of zany ideas and can be picked up without having read the books in a long time. Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men reads really well in trade form and has beautiful art and great character ticks.

-Bob

Sleeper, a pair of 12-issue maxis by Brubaker and Phillips, is one of my favorite books of all time. The 5-issue prologue, Point Blank, starring Grifter of all people, is also very good and enhances Sleeper.

Powers is very good. Lots of cool superhero-crime stuff from Bendis's sometimes sick imagination.

Alias, Bendis's sweet 28-issue series with Michael Gaydos, was at some points so cool it made me ill. So many clever references to Marvel mythology. There is a big all-in-one omnibus, but it's OOP and expensive. But the whole series can be picked up for under $50. I do wonder, though, if Bendis is undoing it all in the current Avengers series.

Bendis's run on Daredevil, 16-20 and 25(?)-80something was one of the finest long runs on a book by a perfectly complementing artist (Alex Maleev). Brubaker and Michael Lark picked it up seemlessly after that.

Planetary is one of the best books ever done, just layers and layers of Big 2 revisionism and expansionism.

Authority, a book sort of in the same theme but executed much differently, was great for the first 20 issues of volume 1, then kind of ran out of steam. It ended after #28 or #29, then came back with volume 2 or more that I haven't read.

I concur on all these series. The first year (12 issues) of Sleeper was as good as comics get. Authority & Planetary are both outstanding, as is Bendis' run on Daredevil & Alias. The first arc of Powers, "Who Killed Retro Girl?", was some of the best reading I had come across in a long time. Another title that many people enjoy is The Goon. And of course my obligatory plug for Deep Fried and Arsenic Lullabies :grin:

Here's some stuff I loved :

Identity Crisis

Miller's run on Daredevil

Sin City

Hush Vol 1

Goon

Ultimate Spider-man (I know, but I really enjoy these trades)

JLA Tower of Babel

Superman -Man for all Seasons

Batman Long Halloween

Flash Return of Barry Allen

DC New Frontier

Maus

Powers

Midnight Nation

A lot of good reading posted so far such as Fell, Planetary, Fear Agent, Fables, Daredevil, and several others.

A couple I like that I didn't see yet if you want to try something a little different:

Mouse Guard

All-Star Superman

Criminal

Supermarket - IDW publishing, Brian Wood (DMZ) is the writer

The new Jeff Smith (Bone) book has potential to be interesing: RASL.

It's about a dude (a thief from the looks of it) that has a way to transport himself to an alternate dimension briefly to escape people that are chasing him. Only one issue out so far, but it was pretty good.

The new Thor series is surprisingly good (great covers so far too).

The 'New Day' Spidey is not bad so far...but will have to play out a bit more before reserving judgement.

Funny enough, one of Annihilus's favorite series is Ultimate Fantastic Four. It's actually very well done (and you gotta love a series that introduced Marvel Zombies :thumbsup:

A lot of good reading posted so far such as Fell, Planetary, Fear Agent, Fables, Daredevil, and several others.

A couple I like that I didn't see yet if you want to try something a little different:

Mouse Guard

All-Star Superman

Criminal

Supermarket - IDW publishing, Brian Wood (DMZ) is the writer

Just because you didn't mention it specifically, are you reading Cap?