• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-screening?

8 posts in this topic

Whats that process called when CGC check for anything over a specific grade?

And is does it work out better for bulk submissions?? And if it is moderns wouldnt it just be better to get them slabbed ($15 a piece compared to.......)??

"Whats that process called when CGC check for anything over a specific grade?"

Pre-grade screening I think.

I was wondering about how this works myself... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To start, you have to submit a minimum amount (not sure the actual number). Then, you get charged $3.00 for each book that did not meet the pre-decided grade. For all books that do, they will be slabbed and you will be charged the regular amount ($17.00 per each for moderns). Hope this helps.

Actually, this may be a little controversial, but there were some anecdotal accounts about how pre-screening raises the CGC grade or at least biases the CGC grade. (I'm not accusing CGC of doing this consciously, of course. I'm just wondering if there are steps in the process to mitigate this potential problem.)

(I probably shouldn't bring this up just before I send a bunch of books in to be pre-screened...) shocked.gif

if you send in 100 VG books and ask them to prescreen for 9.4 and 9.6 only to be slabbed - you will get all your books back plus a bill for $300 and shipping/insurance....

I have prescreened moderns for 9.4 and 9.6 and ended up with 10.0's 893scratchchin-thumb.gif hmmm...that's quite an odd bias...

I guess it is possible for somthing like that to occur, as common sense would dictate that a submitter who knows something of grading would send in a batch of books around the same grade and prescreen for the 2 closest grades. I think Harshen answers a prescreen question in the aSK CGC section and several forum members (including myself) have given breakdowns of a recent prescreening...

I do know that for Moderns the minimum amount of submissions is 100 books.

I think the way it works is, you specify a grade you want pre-screened for, all books above that grade are graded at the normal fee rate for each book. (i.e. you say 9.0 and any books that grade higher than that will be slabbed.)

All books that do not meet the grade you specify are then returned to you at the $3 rate for each book, as Darth said. (i.e. all books that pre-screen 8.5 or lower are returned to you for $3 each)

I also think they charge additional shipping to return both the unslabbed books that didnt meet the required grade and the slabbed books that did meet the required grade. Although Darth might know more about this.

It is interesting how CGC doesn't note pre-screening in their fee chart.

It is interesting how CGC doesn't note pre-screening in their fee chart.

too confusing, as evidenced by many of the questions confused-smiley-013.gif Really need to talk to a CGC customer service rep all about it to "walk you thru"; once you do it you'll be like foreheadslap.gif "that was real easy! Why don't I always submit via prescreen?" confused-smiley-013.gif