• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do MP and EP books look/feel different?

4 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Comics General section, but thought I might get a better response here.

I have never held (at least that I know of) a moderately or extensively restored book. If a book has pieces added or spines reinforced as part of professional restoration, does it look and feel different than an unrestored book? Can you easily tell that extensive work has been done, or do you need to look closely or have special equipment to tell the extent of restoration? I am not talking about slight color touch, but more extensive work. I am thinking about purchasing one (a comic which I could never afford to own unrestored.)

Also, can you notice differences in the quality of conservation/restoration depending on restorer?

for example...

Thank you.

The example you posted has both "cover cleaned" and "re-glossed".

I do remember one book where as soon as I touched it I though "uh-oh". It felt wrong. Hard to describe, but "toothy" is what came to mind. "Toothy" meaning a texture that shouldn't be there, and the paper not as pliable as normal. Thicker,stiffer to the touch. It had been cleaned and re-glossed.

You can absolutely tell the difference. I have had many MP and EP restored books pass through my hands, some of which I sold on consignment. The paper feels different, looks slightly different and, depending on the quality of the work, may or may not look good overall. I have seen some fairly extensive resto jobs that were fantastic (Centaurman's MM 4) and some that were terrible (a GA Cap I sold with white infills on the interior). It really just depends. The best work, even if moderate or extensive, takes a good eye to spot, though it will never look exactly like an untouched book.

I would suggest that you see it in-hand before buying any MP or EP restored comic...or at least make sure the seller has a good return policy.

It depends on what has been done. Piece replacement, wet cleaning, reglossing can all affect the "feel" of the book. Tear seals & reinforcement generally do not. Color touch depends on what kind & how much (heavy acrylic can get kinda stiff).