• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wall books in a restaurant??

63 posts in this topic

There's a comic shop in Tulsa that has the same thing. The wall books are all faded so bad, they look like they were printed with only 2 colors of ink.

They've probably been there for 40 years or more.

Bummer...

He couldn't possibly be running a two bit restaurant, made enough dough to buy those books AND be stupid enough to then put them on the wall.

I think you've been punk'd.

He probably has copy covers over generic books.

I think his restaurant made more than around5 bucks (cover price)

I won't say where I saw this but I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. Below is one of several frames. None of the others are up to the caliber of this but they're all sun faded in a bad way. I left my number with an employee for the owner. Truthfully, even if he won't sell, I want to convince him to take them out of the sun before even more damage occurs.

BTW, these are real books not just covers or photocopies.

framed2.jpg

at least the good ones are on the top.

From eGerber's site

"All plastics and glass stop some UV light, so many advertise that their "Protector" blocks UV. The truth Is that they stop only some of the damaging rays. Even Mylar will not stop all UV.

Our specially Impregnated Mylar D stops 99% of the UV light. Mylar D is accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums."

Sad that someone would have enough money to get those books, but not enough sense to protect them. Even if he protected them, why take the change of putting them on the wall of your restaurant? I'd make color copies, frame them individually, and hang them up around the restaurant separately.

you know I bet it is kind of funny to have that posted where you work.

I bet you spot a comic collector from a mile away with one of these hanging.

Everybody else would be that's cool and move on...

a comic collector would have that "I just pee'd myself" look on their face...

lol

He probably bought them from himself as a business expense at a grossly inflated price and pocketed a nice tax savings.

What he should have done was buy them from himself at a grossly inflated price, store them in the store safe, depreciated them 100% and then sold them back to himself again for cover price.

As for where, I'm not fessing up til I hear from the owner. I got a pretty good look at them and I don't think any are reprints. Combine that with the fact that is another frame full of common SA books and 2 more full of photo cover Dells and I think they might have been his own copies at one time. Further, the place is covered with photos and other pop related stuff on the walls. There is a horizontal frame with about 10 Simpsons comics in a nice shaded area of the place. :makepoint: The magazines and other stuff are all in decent shape since they don't get as much sunlight.

I'll post 2 more pics tonight that I took of the SA and Dell frames.

As for where, I'm not fessing up til I hear from the owner. I got a pretty good look at them and I don't think any are reprints.

Even with the small low-res photo, they look like the real deal - they all have prices. doh!

Good luck! I hope he'll sell.

I have seen the same thing in a chain of stores here in the Scottsdale area.

The owners have 4 or 5 stores and should know better. UXM #94 they finally took that down and put it behind a case. They still want 400.00 for this light olive green cover!

I politly mentioned this issue several times and the kids behind the counter looked at me like I was nutz.