• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The LCS Experience- Two Different Sides of the Coin

12 posts in this topic

Today I began my much needed spring break. All the kiddies have flown home for 3+ weeks, and I get a little time to finish the last bits of editing on the thesis, paint another room in the house, and catch up on my comic reading. :banana:

This afternoon, I decided to swing by my LCS. I promised the owner I would bring my ASM 1 in for him to check out along with the 2 & 4 I picked up back in DEC. Soon as I came in, we chatted it up, all the while he was graciously greeting and helping all of the other customers who came in. He also picked up some ASMs from a collection, and offered to hold for me for a few months. Even though I shouldn't have, I bought one of the books just because I didn't want him to wait on all of the books. A good time overall.

Tonight, I was killing about 45 minutes while my wife was at choir practice so I went to another LCS that was close to the church. I've had a bad experience with this one with the owner over the phone (very unfriendly), but I figured I'd just swing in to browse. I walk in and he's cussing at his soda fridge not even noticing a customer entered his store. I walk around and am looking at his books in the case (some of the more expensive stuff), and instead of traditional greetings, offers of assistance, etc, he asks me to move cause he's working on something. hm Needless to say, he made it very easy to behave and not buy anything. Suffice to say, even boredom won't be guiding me to this storefront any longer.

It's funny because my friend who owns the first LCS was joking about how many are "called" but few make it through the comic store business. Funny just how spot on he was with that assessment.

Bad Business Owners are not strictly limited to LCSs. Running a business is tough work. You really have to like what you're doing! I'm glad you've found a nice LCS in your neck of the woods.

What did you buy?

A comic book store owner should treat each customer entering his store as a friend.

Their BEST friend.

He's the guy that allows them to make a living selling comic books, instead of working for the MAN.

Any comic dealer that forgets this simple fact should be, and hopefully will be looking for a job soon.

- Lee

:

Tonight, I was killing about 45 minutes while my wife was at choir practice so I went to another LCS that was close to the church. I've had a bad experience with this one with the owner over the phone (very unfriendly), but I figured I'd just swing in to browse. I walk in and he's cussing at his soda fridge not even noticing a customer entered his store. I walk around and am looking at his books in the case (some of the more expensive stuff), and instead of traditional greetings, offers of assistance, etc, he asks me to move cause he's working on something. hm Needless to say, he made it very easy to behave and not buy anything. Suffice to say, even boredom won't be guiding me to this storefront any longer.

I would have thrown him a couple of super lowball offers to complete his day.

When I moved to Queens in the 1990s,I was equi-distant to two shops.

I walked into one and was greeted nicely by the guy behind the counter.He asked if I was looking for anything and I told him I had just moved into the area.We chatted for awhile and he tried to get me to sign up for his pull service.At this point I explained I was a former shop owner and was able to get what I wanted from friends still in the biz for very nice discounts.After some more discussions,I bought an $8 dollar BI that he discounted a bit and I left feeling good.

A week or so later I entered store B. It was much nicer than store A. Newer fixtures,nicer showcases,brighly lit. A huge sign stated 25% off everything sale.The counter guy looked up briefly when I entered and went back to whatever he was doing.I found a BI I was looking for and went to the counter.Guy asked me for my membership card. I said it was the first time in the store and didn't have one.

He says okay and tries to charge me full price. I ask about the 25% off and he tells me thats only for members.I ask what the benefits of membership are,and how much it costs. Just then the phone rings. Its his friend and he says that business sucks,no one has been in for the last hour or so,and they start talking about something,ignoring me. I left the book on the counter and never again entered the store.

They are both long gone now but store A lasted much longer than store B.

Coincidence? Methinks not.

Bad Business Owners are not strictly limited to LCSs. Running a business is tough work. You really have to like what you're doing! I'm glad you've found a nice LCS in your neck of the woods.

What did you buy?

It's funny because talking to my reg. LCS owner, you'd never know it was hard work--just a generally upbeat guy and really engaging. :gossip: Probably why I regularly visit his store ;)

What did you buy?

It's funny because talking to my reg. LCS owner, you'd never know it was hard work--just a generally upbeat guy and really engaging. :gossip: Probably why I regularly visit his store ;)

What did you buy?

:baiting:

:hi:

A comic book store owner should treat each customer entering his store as a friend.

Their BEST friend.

He's the guy that allows them to make a living selling comic books, instead of working for the MAN.

Any comic dealer that forgets this simple fact should be, and hopefully will be looking for a job soon.

- Lee

Amen!

That's really the only thing an LCS owner needs to remember....it's amazing how many forget this simple fact when their livelyhood depends on it. What's really amazing is when it's the owner that behaves this way. It's one thing when a hireling does it....quite another when it's the guy calling the shots.

But kudos to the guys that do it right....you make the hobby enjoyable.

Today I began my much needed spring break. All the kiddies have flown home for 3+ weeks, and I get a little time to finish the last bits of editing on the thesis, paint another room in the house, and catch up on my comic reading. :banana:

This afternoon, I decided to swing by my LCS. I promised the owner I would bring my ASM 1 in for him to check out along with the 2 & 4 I picked up back in DEC. Soon as I came in, we chatted it up, all the while he was graciously greeting and helping all of the other customers who came in. He also picked up some ASMs from a collection, and offered to hold for me for a few months. Even though I shouldn't have, I bought one of the books just because I didn't want him to wait on all of the books. A good time overall.

It's funny because my friend who owns the first LCS was joking about how many are "called" but few make it through the comic store business. Funny just how spot on he was with that assessment.

Okay Mac, spills the beans. I'm guessing that the "good" store is Omni (perhaps) but the bad one? No idea.

I didn't buy anything too expensive since (since I really shouldn't be buying very many comics as is). But if he was going to hold a bunch of SA-early BA fillers for me, I figured I should at least pick one of 'em up.

And Jeffro, you're right about the good shop, and I'll PM you the other one.

I go to 3 LCS's and they all have pros cons. My number one gets my business for new books, has a sweet .50 cent bin (or 5 comics for 2.00's) that has everything from late bronze to 6 mos back titles. Dollar boxes that have comics that are generally $8-$35.00 comics and gives me 10% off whatever I buy, plus holds variant covers.

#2 used to get my new comic business as well as supplies and some back issues, but dropped the discount when one guy left. So now its just supplies and once in a blue moon back issues.

#3 is low traffic and doesnt cut deals, BUT I can generally find any back issue from the last 8 months for cover.

All in all im pretty fortunate, I wouldnt even buy anything from a shop that has rude owners/employees and probably tell them to kiss my *##. As stated you have a sweet job owning a store, there are people who want comics, your business and attitude will mandate how long your doors stay open.

I guess the way I look at it is if you can't bother to give a rat's @$$ about me as a customer, then you aren't getting a dime from me. Nor will you get any good word of mouth... though you will get some form of word of mouth.

I can find discounts all the time online. When I go to an LCS, however... I guess I expect a little more, even if the comic is a touch more than I'd find elsewhere. Frequent a place enough though, and I find the prices are about as nice as you find online :)