• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,955 posts in this topic

Yea I would def call and get the graders notes and tell them this was a resubbed 9.2 becuase an 9.2 to an 8.5 should never happen unless the book got damaged in shipment.
Let's not forget the 6 years between the cracking and resubbing. Doesn't take more than the slightest of dings or mildest of creases to go from 9.2 to 8.5.

Yea I would def call and get the graders notes and tell them this was a resubbed 9.2 becuase an 9.2 to an 8.5 should never happen unless the book got damaged in shipment.
Let's not forget the 6 years between the cracking and resubbing. Doesn't take more than the slightest of dings or mildest of creases to go from 9.2 to 8.5.

No damage either in my possession or with shipping.. The book was resubmitted expecting a 9.2 with the hope of a 9.4. It is nicer than any other 9.0 annual or king size comic I've seen, and I've owned at least two 9.2s that weren't as nice. In fact, the book easily has 9.4 structure, but a very small area of minor soiling on a lower portion of the back cover at the spine as the only defect potentially keeping it from NM. There are no dings or creases that may have occurred during shipping or grading.

Fact is, CGC grading has a capricious component to it, as this book attests to once again.

Foolkiller is coming over tonight, and I'll get his unbiased and independent opinion on the book after we crack the sucker out. I'll also post scans of the front and back covers. That way, all you pundits can weigh in about this defect and that flaw that makes the book only an 8.5 (even though the identical book graded a well deserved 9.2 before). Let's face it, the tendency here on the boards is to think that a book with a particular numerical grade on its label is, in fact, that very grade, or at the most one grading unit off. Those of you who have submitted lots of books will know, however, that CGC can occasionally miss by more than one grading unit. Heck, sometimes, it can even happen in the submitter's favor.

I know someone who recently re-subbed a book in the slab and the book dropped from 4.0 to a 3.0.

He re-subbed a book still in the 4.0 slab and they knocked down to a 3.0?? wow

The graders don't know that the book was submitted in a 4.0 slab.

I thought they were supposed to give the book the same grade if it is just a re-holder unless it was damaged when they took it out... ?

Same grade if it's simply a reholder. Sounds like the slabbed 4.0 was resubmitted for grading.

I thought they were supposed to give the book the same grade if it is just a re-holder unless it was damaged when they took it out... ?

Same grade if it's simply a reholder. Sounds like the slabbed 4.0 was resubmitted for grading.

Regarding a reholder, here is what I was told by CGC:

- The book is taken out of the inner well . I thought it stayed in.

- The book is rechecked for grade and it is possible the grade will change.

Regarding an error on the label, the same process is performed as a reholder.

Based on this information I am very hesitant to send back a book for any reason.

So does a resub have to have the book already been taken out of the holder then? Otherwise why would anyone pay for this more expensive process when they could just send it in for a reholder and it would undergo the exact same process? (shrug)

So does a resub have to have the book already been taken out of the holder then? Otherwise why would anyone pay for this more expensive process when they could just send it in for a reholder and it would undergo the exact same process? (shrug)
As I understand it, a reholder doesn't get regraded unless the damage to the current slab is such that there's a possibility that damage was done to the book. Generally speaking, they just reholder it and give a cursory glance.

A resub goes thru the whole process, resto check, 3 graders, used as a coaster, etc. Resubs are mostly used in an attempt to get a higher grade when the owner disagrees with the one originally received.

As I understand it, a reholder doesn't get regraded unless the damage to the current slab is such that there's a possibility that damage was done to the book. Generally speaking, they just reholder it and give a cursory glance.

A resub goes thru the whole process, resto check, 3 graders, used as a coaster, etc. Resubs are mostly used in an attempt to get a higher grade when the owner disagrees with the one originally received.

Perhaps we need an English to Canadian translator? hm

Fresh back from CGC (see my forth coming sales thread in a bit) -- I had two disappointments I graded these two 9.4 and they both came back 9.2:

Avengers78cgc.jpg

Avengers78label.jpg

Avengers95-1.jpg

Avengers95label.jpg

However... the other 7, were all higher than expected:

I thought 9.4, came back 9.6

Thor200cgc.jpg

Thor200label.jpg

I thought 9.4/9.6, came back 9.6

ForeverPeople10.jpg

ForeverPeople10label.jpg

I thought 9.6, came back 9.6

ForeverPeople9.jpg

ForeverPeople9label.jpg

ForeverPeople8.jpg

ForeverPeople8label.jpg

I thought 9.4/9.6, came back 9.6

Hulk117.jpg

Hulk117label.jpg

Adventure403cgc.jpg

Adventure403label.jpg

I thought 9.4/9.6, came back 9.8

NewGods11.jpg

NewGods11label.jpg

Perhaps we need an English to Canadian translator? hm

Is that supposed to be a crack? :sumo: