• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

My first CGC submission.. got a counterfeit Cerebus #1 9.4 tied for top census, and the only blue label 9.8 Cerebus #12 and some other 9.6s. That's the good news.. the bad news is that they gave me a full point lower on my Cerebus #1 and #2 than I expected (and paid :( ).. and on top of that the case for the authentic Cerebus #1 arrived all scuffed up on the inside. :frustrated:

Win some, lose some.

Cerebus1ACGCfront.jpg

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITACGCfront.jpg

Cerebus11CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus12CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus18CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus3CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus4CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus3CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus5CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus7CGCfront.jpg

Cerebus2ACGCfront.jpg

Posted these in the mag section, but who the heck ever looks there. (shrug)

Here is my latest shipment. The highlights include:

Savage Tales #1 9.2

Savage Sword of Conan #1 9.8 (white pages) - Highest

Vampirella #1 1969 Commemerative Blue Foil 9.8 (white pages) - Highest (& only)

Scream #1 Skywald 9.0

Vampirella #1 8.5

Vampirella #6 9.4

Creepy #3 9.8 Highest (& only) :cloud9:

Creepy #4 9.2

Creepy #11 9.8 (white pages) Highest (only 2 at 9.8) :cloud9:

Creepy #11 9.8 - (other highest)

Creepy #16 9.0

Creepy #17 9.4 (white pages)

Eerie #2 9.4

Eerie #17 9.0

Of course some pics (not great shots, but too lazy to scan right now:

grp2.jpg

grp3.jpg

grp4.jpg

grp5.jpg

My first CGC submission.. got a counterfeit Cerebus #1 9.4 tied for top census, and the only blue label 9.8 Cerebus #12 and some other 9.6s. That's the good news.. the bad news is that they gave me a full point lower on my Cerebus #1 and #2 than I expected (and paid :( ).. and on top of that the case for the authentic Cerebus #1 arrived all scuffed up on the inside. :frustrated:

Win some, lose some.

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITACGCfront.jpg

Curious as to what is with the "counterfeit" book, have never heard of this per se...is this something common to this issue? And why wouldn't CGC just reject grading it and return it with that comment rather than grading and encapsulating it? (shrug)

Edited by trmoore54

Curious as to what is with the "counterfeit" book, have never heard of this per se...is this something common to this issue? And why wouldn't CGC just reject grading it and return it with that comment rather than grading and encapsulating it? (shrug)

Some background info on the counterfeit:

http://rogerowengreen.blogspot.com/2007/05/cerebus-1-counterfeit.html

And some more trivia from a board member:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2635852#Post2635852

The letter from Deni Sim on the inside cover of Cerebus 32 (I think.. or around that issue.. 1982ish) describes their reaction to discovering the counterfeits. They are tough to find in high grade (just like the real thing). I heard that Dave Sim will (or used to) sign Cerebus counterfeit books but would forge the signature of another artist.. like "Here's a fake signature to go with your fake #1 -Frank Frazetta".. although I haven't seen one of these signed books yet.

It's a part of comic history now.. and especially cool if you are a Cerebus collector.

I know more about the fake Cerebus #1 than I know about the actual series itself(nothing). Thats a historic book in some regards, a well known counterfeit that really fooled alot of people. I'd like to own one just because of it's importance, and no I won't buy your copy Cheezywiz :grin:

001 Uncanny X-Men 215 3/87 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY ALAN DAVIS & CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Alan Davis & Dan Green cover & art First appearance of Stonewall

Super Sabre and Crimson Commando.

002 Uncanny X-Men 213 1/87 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY ALAN DAVIS & CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Alan Davis & Paul Neary cover & art Wolverine vs. Sabretooth.

Psylocke joins the X-Men.

003 X-Men 131 3/80 Marvel Comics Signature 9.6 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

John Byrne & Terry Austin cover & art Second appearance of Dazzler.

Emma Frost appearance.

004 Uncanny X-Men 233 9/88 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Marc Silvestri & Dan Green cover & art

005 Uncanny X-Men 217 5/87 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Jackson Guice & Steve Leialoha art

Walt Simonson & Bob Wiacek cover Dazzler vs. Juggernaut.

006 Uncanny X-Men 232 8/88 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Marc Silvestri & Dan Green cover & art

007 Uncanny X-Men 214 2/87 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 & BY BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH ON 12/10/08 Chris Claremont story

Barry Windsor-Smith & Bob Wiacek art

Art Adams & Barry Windsor-Smith cover Dazzler joins the X-Men.

008 Uncanny X-Men 227 3/88 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Marc Silvestri & Dan Green cover & art Freedom Force & Forge appearance.

009 Uncanny X-Men 148 8/81 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont story

Dave Cockrum & Josef Rubinstein art

Dave Cockrum cover First appearance of Caliban.

Spider-Woman and Dazzler appearance.

Magneto cameo.

010 X-Men 117 1/79 Marvel Comics Signature 9.8 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE SIGNED BY CHRIS CLAREMONT ON 10/4/08 Chris Claremont and John Byrne story

John Byrne & Terry Austin art

Dave Cockrum & Terry Austin cover 1st app. of Amahl Farouk (Shadow King).

Origin of Professor Xavier.