• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

front cover looks 8.5 to me

tanning edges+ spine, spine wear

No edge tanning and no interior cover haloing. Just three small impressions along the spine that neither break color nor paper.

Bob: That's not what the scan shows, looks like some major tanning/staining issues.

Jim

front cover looks 8.5 to me

tanning edges+ spine, spine wear

No edge tanning and no interior cover haloing. Just three small impressions along the spine that neither break color nor paper.

Bob: That's not what the scan shows, looks like some major tanning/staining issues.

Jim

Jim, not only are there no major tanning/staining issues, there aren't even minor tanning/staining issues. I owned the book before encapsulation, and so can say this with complete certainty. Two bits of supportive evidence. First, the book has ow/w page quality, a designation rarely if ever seen for books that suffer from edge tanning. Also, the first time the book was graded it received a 9.0.

Something must be wrong with your scanner. (:

So help me out. Where is there major tanning and/or staining?

All I can tell you is two things. First, viewed in person it is a really nice copy with no tanning or staining issues whatsoever. The only nicer copy of this ish that I've seen is the gorgeous 9.4 copy that Blazing Ali Baba has currently. Second, it was graded once before and was considered a 9.0 at that time. These two things support the notion that the current grading may have been overly harsh.

As for my scan of the book, it looks essentially the same on the front cover as the copy of ish 13 shown below, which is from the Northland collection reknowned for the outstanding color preservation of its early SA Marvels:

FF13NL.jpg

I didn't say it wasn't a nice book or even a tough grade. I fully believe the book was in a 9.0 holder before.

Since you asked.

The right edge definitely has discoloration. From the scan there appears to be some discolration around or near the bottom staple in the shape of a semi-circle. In the scan I also see what looks like three color breaking stresses on the spine.

There is a clear difference between the #13 you used for comparison. Maybe I'm just :screwy:

Edited by MCMiles

Bob, before your book suffers further scrutiny and indignity at the hands of Forumites, you should sell it to me at a steep discount. :devil:

Seriously nice book.... :applause:

Hey, it's got major tanning/staining issues. You don't want it. :grin:

Bob, before your book suffers further scrutiny and indignity at the hands of Forumites, you should sell it to me at a steep discount. :devil:

Seriously nice book.... :applause:

Hey, it's got major tanning/staining issues. You don't want it. :grin:

I used to own a White Mountain copy of # 10 that I sold as a CGC 9.2 for crazy money in 2000. It had that same halo around the outer right edge....the page quality was still a gorgeous OW/W and the color strike was amazing....love those White Mountains.... :cloud9: