• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,959 posts in this topic

Okay, everytime I look at this thread I see reports of excellent grades. I am both happy for the submitter and envious at the same time. I just submitted a 10 book

Standard Tier and the highest grade I got was one 9.0. Granted, they were all early Silver Age, in fact I am very happy with an 8.0 on my Showcase 24 (3rd Green Lantern), but this thread makes me feel like I am the only submitter with less than stellar grades. I am not saying CGC is overgrading or undergrading, the books should speak for themselves, but doesn't anyone else get 'normal' grades. Should I be embarrased by my 8.0 on an FF 25 ? Was I stupid to submit it ? Boy I feel alone and discouraged.

Okay, everytime I look at this thread I see reports of excellent grades. I am both happy for the submitter and envious at the same time. I just submitted a 10 book

Standard Tier and the highest grade I got was one 9.0. Granted, they were all early Silver Age, in fact I am very happy with an 8.0 on my Showcase 24 (3rd Green Lantern), but this thread makes me feel like I am the only submitter with less than stellar grades. I am not saying CGC is overgrading or undergrading, the books should speak for themselves, but doesn't anyone else get 'normal' grades. Should I be embarrased by my 8.0 on an FF 25 ? Was I stupid to submit it ? Boy I feel alone and discouraged.

Dude No Way.

Seriously early SA 8.0 and up makes my submission look so basic.

Post the scans and congrats on the grades. (thumbs u

Just got graded today but here are some raw scans:

Showcase 8.0 . As stated I am very happy with this grade. I thought it was a borderline 7.5/8.0.

scan0045-1.jpg

Journey Into Mystery 3 7.0 .

scan0044.jpg

FF 25. 8.0 .

scan0046.jpg

Strange Tales 78 6.0 . I really thought this would grade higher. It must have a hidden defect.

scan0043.jpg

Strange Tales 104. 7.0 . I really thought this would grade higher. It's funny but every Strange Tales I have submitted I have been disappointed in the grade.

scan0042.jpg

Tough to tell from a scan, but it looks like you got hosed on the FF#25..Wanna sell it????

The Showcase is a little different story. DC used a much better quality paper than Marvel did, so their books seem to hold up a bit better. In my experience, DC's get graded much harsher than similar age/looking Marvel...IMHO

Tough to tell from a scan, but it looks like you got hosed on the FF#25..Wanna sell it????

The Showcase is a little different story. DC used a much better quality paper than Marvel did, so their books seem to hold up a bit better. In my experience, DC's get graded much harsher than similar age/looking Marvel...IMHO

The FF25 also got hit with a Cr/OW page quality, which probably knocked it down from an 8.5 . From my recollection, the page quality was closer to OW/W ???

I got it from Showcase New England about 10 years ago, direct from an OO collection. At the time it was graded a 9.0 .

If you are interested in it, send me a PM as I may sell it. PLease note it was just graded today and probably won't ship for another week but we can talk about it.

Just got graded today but here are some raw scans:

Showcase 8.0 . As stated I am very happy with this grade. I thought it was a borderline 7.5/8.0.

scan0045-1.jpg

Journey Into Mystery 3 7.0 .

scan0044.jpg

FF 25. 8.0 .

scan0046.jpg

Strange Tales 78 6.0 . I really thought this would grade higher. It must have a hidden defect.

scan0043.jpg

Strange Tales 104. 7.0 . I really thought this would grade higher. It's funny but every Strange Tales I have submitted I have been disappointed in the grade.

scan0042.jpg

Sweeeet books Bob! :applause:

And when I read them, I'd place an open magazine on the table, usually a Sports Illustrated, and place the comic on top of that.

Funny you mention that technique. I just read a book last night using an old Wizard publication as a holder.

Just arrived today. I expected a 9.4 Doesn't happen often, but whan it does, boy howdy is it nice!!!! :grin:

image33.jpg

What a beautiful book, congrats !!! Nothing like a White paged 9.6, the cover looks very white also.

Just arrived today. I expected a 9.4 Doesn't happen often, but whan it does, boy howdy is it nice!!!! :grin:

image33.jpg

You should post this in the ASM collecting thread in the Silver forum :)