• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

I bought this one from another collector. I have submitted nicer copys then this of other books and was shot down to a 9.6... So I bought this w/ out seeing it. But as I said when I submit nicer copys and they only score a 9.6 I expect when I pay for a 9.8 to get a 9.8...

I just dont understand how someone can clearly miss that big crease that breaks paint....

I would never ever submit a modern book w/ creases on it even if it breaks or dont break paint, yet they keep coming back to me w/ creases on them...

I have come up w/ a new packaging system and its been helping alot. I think my problems at the beginning was w/ shipping.. However back to the above book how does one miss that?? I have nicer 9.6 copys then this book...

Edited by bcruze

Spine stress should definitely bring it down to a 9.6 atleast in my books. I guess the guy at CGC was feeling kind though. Some graders are just odd. I think giving that a 9.6 would be generous tbh. Not to say it's not a nice copy though - I'd love it! :D

Ah well, finally got this back. Norwegian edition of some DC release from the sixties. Anyone know the original issue they snagged the cover from? Nice clean pages but got lots of spine stress and some stains on the backcover. Received the expected grade. hm

Not too easy to come by in nice shape these Norwegian variants.

rh03.jpg

rh02.jpg

Yah, flash sucks...but couldnt do w/o it cus of poor light. :frustrated:

Ah well, finally got this back. Norwegian edition of some DC release from the sixties. Anyone know the original issue they snagged the cover from? Nice clean pages but got lots of spine stress and some stains on the backcover. Received the expected grade. hm

Not too easy to come by in nice shape these Norwegian variants.

rh03.jpg

rh02.jpg

Yah, flash sucks...but couldnt do w/o it cus of poor light. :frustrated:

Those appear to be the red-costumed Blackhawks (started in issue 203). Don't have the issues in front of my, but probably from one of the DC comics in the 230s. Based on the date, it would appear it was published very shortly after being published in the U.S.

Cool stuff. I'm sure you are the only kid on your block to have one.

I had to splash out to get this :( Wrong time really, but I think it'll just increase more after the movie, so made sense to get it now. I love it anyway!

"Splash out"? (shrug)

JB, I think this one will shoot up once the trailer hits and War Machine graces the big screen.

Edited by AGGIEZ

well i paid a nice price for the book and it was described as a 9.8 i get it in the mail and had that tick... pretty bummed out.. This should clearly be a 9.6

goons003.jpg

Hmmmm...Looks like one of the graders didn't have their coffee that morning...

:) Splash out = Pay a bit.

Exactly! That's why I figured i'd get it now - cuz from the trailer I saw, I most definitely got the impression that people were gonna hop on the wagon and get a copy!

I had to splash out to get this :( Wrong time really, but I think it'll just increase more after the movie, so made sense to get it now. I love it anyway!

"Splash out"? (shrug)

JB, I think this one will shoot up once the trailer hits and War Machine graces the big screen.

Edited by LloydJBailey

well i paid a nice price for the book and it was described as a 9.8 i get it in the mail and had that tick... pretty bummed out.. This should clearly be a 9.6

goons003.jpg

For a second there I thought I was alone. I have recieved 2 books back from CGC in the last 6 months with the same issue. A color breaking crease recieving a 9.8 when I clearly knew that it wouldn't be higher than a 9.6.

Atom Age Combat (8.0) 1958 Double Cover, Daredevil 1 Mexican edition (1.0)1966, ASM 300 Mexican Edtion 1989 (4.5)...just got them..low grades but they sure are :cloud9: Sorry for the camera pics.. :grin:

85609.jpg.5e51b0eb9919afd805f733c7978f33a4.jpg

85610.jpg.598428f65cbd46c0d4f92a1ab6214b7f.jpg

85611.jpg.bc1489a9dac53a153f8645bed6826923.jpg

Atom Age Combat (8.0) 1958 Double Cover, Daredevil 1 Mexican edition (1.0)1966, ASM 300 Mexican Edtion 1989 (4.5)...just got them..low grades but they sure are :cloud9: Sorry for the camera pics.. :grin:

Those are cool, when you get a Mexican scanner, I'd love to see them even better. That DD 1 is especially interesting to me.

i finally got my 1st group in!!!! and im pretty happy with the outcome all but one book...but all and all im super happy

my 1st white pages book!

mowhawk006.jpg

got this as a Fine

mowhawk005.jpg

got this as a Fine =(

mowhawk004.jpg

got this from a friend for 50 bucks good deal for sure

mowhawk007.jpg

VERY happy on this one

mowhawk008.jpg

Edited by c-mack

Those are cool, when you get a Mexican scanner, I'd love to see them even better. That DD 1 is especially interesting to me.

I think he is using a Mexican scanner. :grin::kidaround: Those books are freakin cool.

how this book isn't a 9.8 is beyond me.

:baiting:

Avengers93corner.jpg

You know, even seeing that, I'd still put it at 9.8 given the rest of the book and taking into account the gross inconsistencies I've seen at 9.8s on squarebounds -- some with ugly glue rippling etc. I suppose if it was consistent all the way across, I'd go with 9.6 as a technical grade. That corner is, I suppose, the real problem.

I'd be really disappointed if I bought that as a 9.8.

In regards to glue rippling, a book might appear ugly, but you can't downgrade something with a "bad appearance" as it's due to the way it was manufactured.

Yeah just barely enough to bring it down for the point deduction bringing it down to a 9.9 . It's so miniscule you can barely notice it and everything else looks super on this book So this book to me is worth the 9.8 grade. This isn't a big white tick mark that grabs your attention. I also lighten up the image of the book so people could examine more closely with better clarity on flaws. Go check at the two 9.6's on ComicLink.com squashed spine on one, and how the other one got a 9.6 is beyond me as it displays ticks and dings all over the cover.They don't start deducting from 9.8 they start at 10. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by colugo