• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,990 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2024 at 10:27 PM, Danger Haggis said:

@Stefan_W  Were those strictly cracks & resubmits, or did you have them pressed as well?  That's crazy you got that many bump ups.  Makes me curious about a couple of mine...

I press my own books. The last ones I posted were all crack and resubs. For perspective, I am pretty selective about which books I buy to crack and resub which helps keep my success rate pretty high. 

On 7/7/2024 at 12:20 AM, Danger Haggis said:

Do you press other people's books (for a fee, of course)? 

Also, any idea how to get marker off of a cover?

I dont believe you can get marker off of a cover. Some processes can probably make it more faint but I dont muck with stuff like that. 

I do press books for local friends, but I do not do it for people who have to ship books to me. This is mostly because there is a high demand and I would never have time to press my own books if I expanded, but also because a part of what I offer is a quick screen before and after pressing to make sure the person knows what is likely to happen if they send a book in. For example, I had a friend give me a small group of books that he figured were 9.8s and when I showed him the flaws under lights, and went through what a press can and cannot fix, he pulled half of them back and decided to keep them as raws. That type of process really doesnt work well when shipping books back and forth. Plus I am in Canada which adds a significant wrinkle for people who are in the USA.