• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
47 47

18,022 posts in this topic

Just got the rest of the books I submitted at the comiccon in May back.

All of the covers by a local artist I like.  The Spidey and Miles books are next to each other as they form a scene (the Miles one is my son's).  The Star Wars one was a late addition when I found out Paul Sun-Hyung Lee was attending.  While he plays Carson Teva in the Mandalorian, I'm a big fan of his from Kim's Convenience.  Those familiar with that show will recognize the phrases "Sneak Attack" and "Ok - See You".  :)

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Happy with this grade, especially. I'm now 9.6+ on all first-printing books from the 12-issue series itself, with just one second printing lower.

image.thumb.jpeg.197ff9b290b3cc1cfa72879cacc98aab.jpeg

Took forever to find a copy of this. At least one video-game-to-comic adaptation list says this was a digital-only book. Solid, solid black cover + international shipping made me a lot nervous, too. Glad it ended up 9.8 because I didn't want to do that again.

image.thumb.jpeg.519521ccc864b6078b08a115efbfaae3.jpeg

My wife approves of the Labyrinth branch of my personal collection. These two had been white whales for several years: the ECCC and Wondercon convention exclusive covers to Labyrinth: Coronation #1. I don't think they ever announced print runs on these, but based on availability, they can't have been very large. The ECCC one was especially tough; this is the only copy I've seen.

image.thumb.jpeg.e5c0cd18b0137a017a81440d38e4fffc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.81e04245b4e8d478a6a4ee8026a17240.jpeg

And submitted this because it was funny (although it's actually fairly scarce).

image.thumb.jpeg.05dd784f6563ddeabe627abb9db9abce.jpeg

On 7/13/2024 at 4:55 PM, GawkHawk said:

PXL_20240710_210645623.jpg

It's a miracle, man. :x

On 7/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, Qalyar said:

Happy with this grade, especially. I'm now 9.6+ on all first-printing books from the 12-issue series itself, with just one second printing lower.

image.thumb.jpeg.197ff9b290b3cc1cfa72879cacc98aab.jpeg

Took forever to find a copy of this. At least one video-game-to-comic adaptation list says this was a digital-only book. Solid, solid black cover + international shipping made me a lot nervous, too. Glad it ended up 9.8 because I didn't want to do that again.

image.thumb.jpeg.519521ccc864b6078b08a115efbfaae3.jpeg

My wife approves of the Labyrinth branch of my personal collection. These two had been white whales for several years: the ECCC and Wondercon convention exclusive covers to Labyrinth: Coronation #1. I don't think they ever announced print runs on these, but based on availability, they can't have been very large. The ECCC one was especially tough; this is the only copy I've seen.

image.thumb.jpeg.e5c0cd18b0137a017a81440d38e4fffc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.81e04245b4e8d478a6a4ee8026a17240.jpeg

And submitted this because it was funny (although it's actually fairly scarce).

image.thumb.jpeg.05dd784f6563ddeabe627abb9db9abce.jpeg

That contra is sweet, I'd be biting my nails as well. Was it on regular ebay or a another countries ebay?  On either count, if that is what current video game collecting takes I admire the dedication and etc. I'm not sure if I'm willing lol but it is great to hear about! ^^

This next tow pic's are beautiful as well. :cheers: @Qalyar

Screenshot_20240713_171003_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240713_172003_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/13/2024 at 5:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a miracle, man. :x

That contra is sweet, I'd be biting my nails as well. Was it on regular ebay or a another countries ebay?  On either count, if that is what current video game collecting takes I admire the dedication and etc. I'm not sure if I'm willing lol but it is great to hear about! ^^

This next pic is beautiful as well. :cheers:

Screenshot_20240713_171003_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks very much!! I don't always (ever?) collect what's mainstream popular, but I take my targets pretty seriously all the same. It's still gonna be years until I have all the Labyrinth stuff. There's just so much of it, and because it's sort of niche and not "hot", it's shockingly hard to find copies that aren't 32nd-degree secret masters in the Fraternal Order of Spine Ticks because no one cares about how they get stuffed in boxes. #Notbitter.

And yeah, that Contra was purchased from a Japanese seller via the Japanese ebay, with substantial assistance from Google Translate. Shipping costs were obscene, and it was in transit for over a month. I own quite a few books I've had to source from Europe, but that's been my only trans-Pacific purchase so far, and I'm not planning to make a habit of it! I was really happy when it arrived and the shipper had reinforced that package like it needed to be bomb-proof. Even still, I was bracing for a 9.6 just because, you know, if there's ever going to be a time to get lowballed into a 9.6... But sometimes there are happy endings.

But yeah, a lot of the video game spinoff books are cheap and easy pickups. But as @FloridianDemon can also tell you, the ones that aren't, really aren't.

Edited by Qalyar

On 7/13/2024 at 5:40 PM, Qalyar said:

Thanks very much!! I don't always (ever?) collect what's mainstream popular, but I take my targets pretty seriously all the same. It's still gonna be years until I have all the Labyrinth stuff. There's just so much of it, and because it's sort of niche and not "hot", it's shockingly hard to find copies that aren't 32nd-degree secret masters in the Fraternal Order of Spine Ticks because no one cares about how they get stuffed in boxes. #Notbitter.

And yeah, that Contra was purchased from a Japanese seller via the Japanese ebay, with substantial assistance from Google Translate. Shipping costs were obscene, and it was in transit for over a month. I own quite a few books I've to source from Europe, but that's been my only trans-Pacific purchase so far, and I'm not planning to make a habit of it! I was really happy when it arrived and the shipper had reinforced that package like it needed to be bomb-proof. Even still, I was bracing for a 9.6 just because, you know, if there's ever going to be a time to get lowballed into a 9.6... But sometimes there are happy endings.

But yeah, a lot of the video game spinoff books are cheap and easy pickups. But as @FloridianDemon can also tell you, the ones that aren't, really aren't.

Lol In my post I added the completion rates as well (didn't show up in the quote) to show your dedication. I somehow remember or know.labyrinth had a lot of titles or books, don't ask me why I remember lol 🤔 😂 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/13/2024 at 5:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol In my post I added the completion rates as well (didn't show up in the quote) to show your dedication. I somehow remember or know.labyrinth had a lot of titles or books, don't ask me why I remember lol 🤔 😂 

And the Labyrinth set currently badly undercounts the amount of Labyrinth books because there are a lot that still do not have a slabbed example to permit addition to the set (also, we're on addition freeze for the annual awarding). At a minimum, that set is missing:

• The Coronation #1 ECCC and Wondercon variants I just got back and posted in this thread.
  • Coronation #1 2nd printing. I have a copy that's probably a 9.4 or 9.6 and I keep arguing with myself if that's good enough.
  • Coronation #2 through #12, inclusive (except #4, because someone else randomly has one 9.8 of that book already)
  • Coronation #2 through #12 Rebekah Isaacs subscription variant covers
  • Coronation #2 2nd printing. I have like 4 copies of this book and every one has an absolutely travesty of a spine.
  • Boom Studios Summer Blast 2016 FCBD
  • Boom Studios Ten Year Celebration 2015 FCBD.
  • Mouse Guard/Rust FCBD 2013 Flip Book. Which is wide enough I think it might wind up needing a magazine slab, to my dismay. I guess it'll get to go live next to the Marvel Super Special #40.
  • Labyrinth Archive Edition #1 through #3, plus their variant covers. All 6 of these will be in my next submission set. Props to Westfield Comics.

I did get a couple more of those back in this tranche of books for when Registry adjustment reopens. I just didn't think they were cool enough for my Back from CGC post, haha! But that still looks to be 34 slots that will eventually get added to the existing Registry for complete completion, assuming I haven't overlooked anything, which we can safely assume I have. I own copies of a lot of that, but copies in submission-compatible grades is a very, very different story.

This is a hell of a lot cheaper title to work on that the absolute mad lads who have done this kind of thing with Walking Dead or Spawn but it's still been far more challenging than I expected when I got started. But hey, every time I get to show a new Ludo cover to my wife, she re-approves the project. Win/win.

image.thumb.jpeg.92d4a03280668ffebc08c7a881cf61ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.78ea1803067e2a30651aef1a899dfad5.jpeg

On 7/14/2024 at 6:34 PM, Ninja0215 said:

@ADAMANTIUM

MY MAN, 100 GRAND! 🤣👍💪👊

:shy:

I noticed the mishap on my cable Deadpool #1 slab, but when I noticed the curvature and it was also on the other slabs but cable deadpool looked affected. They looked lower grade but correctly graded. Sometimes I put my foot in my mouth, not perfect, but I've sent in several subs, and if we're talking a total recall lol . :ohnoez:?

I'm sure it must depend on the book in the slabe, but it is up to cgc to figure it out, and if they can't notice the squeeze on every book just like me? Then I'd assume the bowing seemed tolerable or "not a bad thing" and depends on the book? That kind of thing idk.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/14/2024 at 7:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

:shy:

I noticed the mishap on my cable Deadpool #1 slab, but when I noticed the curvature and it was on the other slabs, they looked lower grade but correctly graded. Sometimes I put my foot in my mouth, not perfect, but I've sent in several subs, and if we're talking a total recall lol . :ohnoez:?

I'm sure it must depend on the book in the slabe, but it is up to cgc to figure it out, and if they can't notice the squeeze on every book just like me? Then I'd assume the bowing seemed tolerable or "not a bad thing" and depends on the book? That kind of thing idk.

Idk either but I don't want to not send books in. I have an order ready to go when I get home and I'll see what happens. 

On 7/13/2024 at 6:40 PM, Qalyar said:

And yeah, that Contra was purchased from a Japanese seller via the Japanese ebay, with substantial assistance from Google Translate. Shipping costs were obscene, and it was in transit for over a month. I own quite a few books I've had to source from Europe, but that's been my only trans-Pacific purchase so far, and I'm not planning to make a habit of it! I was really happy when it arrived and the shipper had reinforced that package like it needed to be bomb-proof. Even still, I was bracing for a 9.6 just because, you know, if there's ever going to be a time to get lowballed into a 9.6... But sometimes there are happy endings.

100% on that last part lol. I will add an extra 'really' to that! IMO there are two types that give me the most trouble, the 1st are the cons exclusive to cons because some were invite only like e3 or just ones that are hard to get into like SDCC or simply not super known ones like WonderCon in 2012. The second would be ones that were either preorder bonuses or given out in special edition versions of the game because of the condition issues(a book sitting in a game box for 10+ years can be rough), price, and overall availability of them.

Been awhile and there are a bunch more I didn't post because life has been getting in the way this year (three parent types in long-term care unfortunately). Cool stuff here though I think...

20240308_221455.jpg

20240502_223509.jpg

20240714_215922.jpg

20240714_220013.jpg

20240714_220139.jpg

20240714_220235.jpg

A few more I don't think I posted previously...If anyone is interested in any of these in the last few posts let me know in a PM for a great deal. I have not reopened my sales thread in some time, but I will be doing so in the next month or two as time allows. :) My eBay thread link is in my profile and you can send me a message through there just mention if I haven't dealt with you before so I know who you are  on the cgc boards.

20231215_175201.jpg

20231215_175244.jpg

Edited by CHASEnBLUE