• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Bread?

124 posts in this topic

This is where it gets nit-picky.

If you have a dot of dried snot on the cover of your book and scrape it off with your finger, is it now restored?

Not sure what others are thinking but I'm talking about using an eraser to lightly pick up some surface dirt/dust off white areas of the front or back cover. That's it.

Not trying to erase pencil or ink marks or to try to lighten ink transfer stains.

If you have a dot of dried snot on the cover of your book and scrape it off with your finger, is it now restored?

'tis a known fact...that leaving the snot on the cover will lower the grade... hm

Dry cleaning is not considered restoration by CGC. That decision certainly stems, at least in part, from an inability to definitively detect dry cleaning in every case.

Wet cleaning is considered restoration, and typically involves disassembly and reassembly of the book.

Thats informative. Is there any type of list of cgc's grading criteria ?

:roflmao:

I use one to clean my desk surface before I grade books, but I wouldn't recommend using it on a comic book cover. :)

I would if used properly. I posted this in October 2003. Still agree with it.

"Also, you ca get a "cleaning pad" - which contains basically very finely granulated white eraser substance in a small "pillow" shaped pad about 3 x 5 inches. You raise the pad above the cover and gently squeeze some of the granules onto the cover. Then very gently move the pad in a circular motion, often stopping and lifting to see if ink is being lifted."

It is the same stuff as a white eraser just very finely granulated. Nothing to fear here. I would stress the " very gently", but that holds true with an eraser as well.

I agree, the bag can be effective if used carefully. Of course too much elbow grease no matter what you use and bad things can happen. Thing to remember is that yes you can clean the white areas of a comic(some argue whether or not gloss is removed , I guess it depends on the material/technique used as well as the comic itself) But that still leaves inked areas of a cover that display dirty areas. So a cleaning pad would be used more for a book that was going to be wet washed to remove as much dirt from the entire cover as possible before getting it wet.

Another thing to remember about the cleaning pad/bag is that the granuals are very fine and can get everywhere , even into the interior pages.

:eek:

I use one to clean my desk surface before I grade books, but I wouldn't recommend using it on a comic book cover. :)

"Also, you ca get a "cleaning pad" - which contains basically very finely granulated white eraser substance in a small "pillow" shaped pad about 3 x 5 inches. You raise the pad above the cover and gently squeeze some of the granules onto the cover. Then very gently move the pad in a circular motion, often stopping and lifting to see if ink is being lifted."

It is the same stuff as a white eraser just very finely granulated. Nothing to fear here. I would stress the " very gently", but that holds true with an eraser as well.

I respectfully disagree with both of my "scouring" colleagues . . . if they took a moment and actually looked at the surface of the item they have cleaned, perhaps with the aid of an ocular device :baiting: they would see very fine minute abrasions caused by the (albeit small) abrasive quality of said tool. :grin:

I respectfully disagree with both of my "scouring" colleagues . . . if they took a moment and actually looked at the surface of the item they have cleaned, perhaps with the aid of an ocular device :baiting: they would see very fine minute abrasions caused by the (albeit small) abrasive quality of said tool. :grin:

Scouring?.. :o You make it sound like we are buffing out a scratches with a belt sander! I was talking more in terms of using the pad to lightly clean off soiled areas when a book is going to be wet washed because dirt can become set into the book. And even then one does not work the inked areas too long for fear of lifting them off. If you are working an area hard enough to take off ink..thats obviously not good. GA books are much more forgiving then SA/BA, you look at a SA book wrong and the inks start floating off as if to mock you.

I would agree with you though that just dry cleaning a cover too hard can damage the inks and paper, even if only on a very minor level. But if a book is so heavily soiled that you are not even touching the inks but rather just the surface dirt, then I think a pad can be more helpful then harmful.

All depends on the book, your technique and to remember to err on the side of caution. Like a bad haircut..you cant put it back on.

Why don't you take a moment and utilize an ocular device to examine the orifice out of which you are speaking. Now this WILL entail a mirror and a bendover. :baiting:

Seriously - VERY GENTLE is the key. I started using that pad in this way well over 20 years ago and always looked using a loupe at the surface. Used properly it will not abrade. And the granules ARE ground rubber eraser.

I think that's the beauty of "wonderBread"...the flour and other ingrediants are ground much finer than the eraser bag and the bread is somewhat "moist" which is probably what allows the ability to use "elbow grease" to remove contamainants from the book...

I will try to run a test and again post it here for posterity once I find the right book that best shows the benifits of this procedure... ;)

Seriously - VERY GENTLE is the key. / Used properly it will not abrade.

:sumo: As I said :grin:

As *I* said - used properly it will not abrade. Now if only certain forumites could have such a quality. :sumo::hi:

:mad::hi:

I think that's the beauty of "wonderBread"...the flour and other ingrediants are ground much finer than the eraser bag and the bread is somewhat "moist" which is probably what allows the ability to use "elbow grease" to remove contamainants from the book...

I will try to run a test and again post it here for posterity once I find the right book that best shows the benifits of this procedure... ;)

wonderbread.JPG

Seriously - VERY GENTLE is the key. / Used properly it will not abrade.

:sumo: As I said :grin:

As *I* said - used properly it will not abrade. Now if only certain forumites could have such a quality. :sumo::hi:

A word about "elbow grease" - it is dangerous. You should be especially aware of the cleanliness of the area, of what is on the bread, in the bread, on the surface of the book etc. Elbow grease can easily dislodge a small hard bit of dirt that is then merrily rubbed hard on the surface of the cover.