• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Bread?

124 posts in this topic

As an update to this I asked a friend of mine who owns a book binding business about using wonder bread to clean a book and he told me that he is well aware of the practice and the reason it works is that white bread is made from "bleached" flour. The bread being fresh would also be moist and would use the bleach in the flour as a cleaner. He also said it would work with any WHITE bread and better or worse depending on how much bleach was in the flour they made the bread with on any given day.

I'm never eating white bread again as long as I live.

Okay, I'm going to show the results of using an eraser on a really soiled comic.

The front cover before...

Frontbefore.jpg

The front cover after...

Frontafter.jpg

The back cover before...

Backbefore.jpg

The back cover after...

Backafter.jpg

Some notes:

The eraser "droppings" were of course black with dirt, but I could also see a whitish tinge, which tells me some of the white ink, and therefore gloss, was removed with the surface dirt. Maybe if I had been more gentle this wouldn't have been the case. But since the book is so much cleaner, it has more gloss exposed than before. When you hold the book sideways in the light it is still plenty glossy (for a beater).

I tested some of the colored areas. You can see a faded area in the black of the monster's hand...that's where the eraser removed the black ink. :o

On the other hand, I was able to remove the dirt from the light blue areas on the back without noticable fading.

All in all, I think the "after" is a big improvement.

JohnT - as far as "white ink" goes, there is none in that printing process. Only yellow, magenta, cyan and black inks are used. The white color is just the paper itself.

I guess I just talked myself into believing I saw white material in the erasure remains? (shrug)

JohnT - as far as "white ink" goes, there is none in that printing process. Only yellow, magenta, cyan and black inks are used. The white color is just the paper itself.

I guess I just talked myself into believing I saw white material in the erasure remains? (shrug)

The eraser was white, no?

The eraser was white, no?

I hope it was.. :wishluck:

Seriously though John, what kind of eraser did you use?

Well, I didn't happen to have a white eraser on hand. :shy:

I just used your average, everyday pink eraser.

:o Verbotten.

Why bother with such a crappy book? :grin:

That's not a good candidate to show anything . . . except for one of Beyonder's trimming or pressing jokes. lol

That's not a good candidate to show anything . . . except for one of Beyonder's trimming or pressing jokes. lol

JohnT did the right thing by starting with a "crappy book". I have always encouraged people who want to experiment to go to the quarter bins and get candidates there.

John - if you want to continue experiemnting, pick yourself up a Staedtler Mars Soft White eraser. Costs about a dollar. It is a rectangular block about 1 x ½, x 2 ½ inches.

The white bits or reflectivity you refer to may well be sizing and even bits of paper from removed by the pink eraser. it really is too harsh an eraser to use.

JohnT did the right thing by starting with a "crappy book". I have always encouraged people who want to experiment to go to the quarter bins and get candidates there.

Quarter-bins may be good practice, but they are not good candidates. :sumo: It is the book with the lightly soiled spine which is an excellent candidate for cleaning, and for the experiment which shows marked improvement with minimal ersure. :grin:

Quarter-bins may be good practice, but they are not good candidates. :sumo: It is the book with the lightly soiled spine which is an excellent candidate for cleaning, and for the experiment which shows marked improvement with minimal ersure. :grin:

Quarter bins can be excellent candidates as well as excellent practice. You telling me there are no books with lightly soiled spines in the quarter bins?

I wanted to see that dirt coming up, so I picked a dirty book!

I wanted to see that dirt coming up, so I picked a dirty book!

Makes perfect sense to me. Divad sometimes has a Di in his Vad so just igore him!

I thought the after scan had a pink hue to it!! Or is that from the rose colored glasses I wear?

:jokealert:

And I think David was saying that while Quarter bin books are good practice they are not what would be considered a good dry cleaning candidate. Or at least I think that was what he was saying. hm

I thought the after scan had a pink hue to it!! Or is that from the rose colored glasses I wear?

:jokealert:

And I think David was saying that while Quarter bin books are good practice they are not what would be considered a good dry cleaning candidate. Or at least I think that was what he was saying. hm

I think he was saying that after 20 minutes of erasing, a quarter bin book is still a quarter bin book! :insane: