• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Bread?

124 posts in this topic

David was saying that while Quarter bin books are good practice they are not what would be considered a good dry cleaning candidate.

:acclaim: Give the man a cuepie-doll! :grin:

OK, now that we have covered Wonderbread and White erasers.

Next up... Silly sputty!

I admit I have lifted images with Silly Putty, and we are talking like a few weeks ago. :sorry:

Next up... Silly sputty!

I admit I have lifted images with Silly Putty, and we are talking like a few weeks ago. :sorry:

Removes dirt but fades the image. White Play-do works much better for cleaning books! :baiting:

Next up... Silly sputty!

Not so fast, young Lochinvar! Are you and Di of Vad saying that because a comic book is not worth a lot of money that it is not a good candidate for a simple dry cleaning? A process that costs virtually nothing save a little time and a few pennies worth of white eraser? Is the conclusion we are all to reach from this is that the sole purpose of dry cleaning is to increase a comic book's monetary value, and that simple love and respect for the book itself would not merit such a small investment? I am shocked!

oh yeah - :o

Next up... Silly sputty!

Not so fast, young Lochinvar! Are you and Di of Vad saying that because a comic book is not worth a lot of money that it is not a good candidate for a simple dry cleaning? A process that costs virtually nothing save a little time and a few pennies worth of white eraser? Is the conclusion we are all to reach from this is that the sole purpose of dry cleaning is to increase a comic book's monetary value, and that simple love and respect for the book itself would not merit such a small investment? I am shocked!

I had to lookup Lochinvar on that one!

Loch·in·var /ˌlɒkɪnˈvɑr, ˌlɒx-/ [lok-in-vahr, lokh-] Pronunciation –noun

1. the hero of a ballad included in the narrative poem Marmion (1808) by Sir Walter Scott.

2. a romantic suitor. hm

I have been called a fancy lad before, does that count?

And dearest Pov, I would argue that the inherit risks that come with dry cleaning a really dirty book would limit a good dry cleaning candidate to one with minimal dirt. Be it a quater bin book, or a 9.6 FF #1. If a book is going to be restored then yes I think a total dry cleaning is important especially if it's really dirty because you dont want to set the dirt into the book when you wet wash it. But there is just too much rubbing involved to dry clean a heavily soiled book if you are not planning on doing more to it afterwards.

Now stop dodging the real issue. What are your thoughts about Silly Putty?

Is it really silly?

:sumo:

And dearest Pov, I would argue that the inherit risks that come with dry cleaning a really dirty book would limit a good dry cleaning candidate to one with minimal dirt. Be it a quater bin book, or a 9.6 FF #1. If a book is going to be restored then yes I think a total dry cleaning is important especially if it's really dirty because you dont want to set the dirt into the book when you wet wash it. But there is just too much rubbing involved to dry clean a heavily soiled book if you are not planning on doing more to it afterwards.

Is it really silly?

Well hello Mister FANCY Pants!

So what are you blathering about NOW? Where did I say anything about heavily soiled? I am simply saying BANG BOOM POW the first though about JohnT's excellent attempts at real world experimentation is money. Oh, the book is not a good candidate for dry cleaning. Well, that book had light soiling. But because it has little if any monetary value then "bad candidate". No wonder people loathe restoration. I guess i really IS more about $$$ than improving the appearance of a book.

Now onto the really real thing: Silly Putty. You DO know, don't you, that the reason those Fiction House GGA books like Jungle, Jumbo etc are often faded is the youth of the day "lifting" Sheena onto their strips of Silly Putty again and again so they can stretch her to hitherto unseen proportions?

Is it really silly?

So what are you blathering about NOW? Where did I say anything about heavily soiled? I am simply saying BANG BOOM POW the first though about JohnT's excellent attempts at real world experimentation is money. Oh, the book is not a good candidate for dry cleaning. Well, that book had light soiling. But because it has little if any monetary value then "bad candidate". No wonder people loathe restoration. I guess i really IS more about $$$ than improving the appearance of a book.

Now onto the really real thing: Silly Putty. You DO know, don't you, that the reason those Fiction House GGA books like Jungle, Jumbo etc are often faded is the youth of the day "lifting" Sheena onto their strips of Silly Putty again and again so they can stretch her to hitherto unseen proportions?

Why are you so hung up on this monetary aspect of dry cleaning? :makepoint: I never mentioned it aside from making a joke about it being worth 35 cents! Seriously though, just because the book John cleaned was of little value was not the reason I would consider it a bad candidate.

By saying the term "good candidates" I thought we were talking more about what books would benefit as a result from minor dry cleaning with little risk, not what would be a good book to practice on. I applaud Johns efforts, it is really the only way to learn anything, by doing. But dry cleaning a soiled(and John's book was soiled) book involves too much risk vs reward imho. Try cleaning a high dollar book and see how liberal you are with that little eraser, it can be very stressful! Even when done correctly you are going over an entire cover, you are removing gloss and inks even if only very, very slightly. Not to mention there will be areas you cant touch that remain soiled and are a dead give away the book was dry cleaned.

Dry cleaning a book on any level will for the most part increase its asthetic appeal, and in doing so many times raise it's grade and value. But that does mean only high dollar books are "good candidates" to dry clean, but rather what type of dirt, soiling a book has.

This is all so hard to try and jot down in a hit and run fashion, but it is fun.

Respectfully...fancylad

Is it really silly?

Why are you so hung up on this monetary aspect of dry cleaning? :makepoint: I never mentioned it aside from making a joke about it being worth 35 cents! Seriously though, just because the book John cleaned was of little value was not the reason I would consider it a bad candidate.

By saying the term "good candidates" I thought we were talking more about what books would benefit as a result from minor dry cleaning with little risk, not what would be a good book to practice on. I applaud Johns efforts, it is really the only way to learn anything, by doing. But dry cleaning a soiled(and John's book was soiled) book involves too much risk vs reward imho. Try cleaning a high dollar book and see how liberal you are with that little eraser, it can be very stressful! Even when done correctly you are going over an entire cover, you are removing gloss and inks even if only very, very slightly. Not to mention there will be areas you cant touch that remain soiled and are a dead give away the book was dry cleaned.

Dry cleaning a book on any level will for the most part increase its asthetic appeal, and in doing so many times raise it's grade and value. But that does mean only high dollar books are "good candidates" to dry clean, but rather what type of dirt, soiling a book has.

This is all so hard to try and jot down in a hit and run fashion, but it is fun.

Respectfully...fancylad

Well, my dear Little Lord Fauntleroy, when the now silent Diva of D said "books from the quarter bin are not good candidates" the only motivation I can see is simply the great dollar. I saw none refuting, questioning, cajoling or otherwise, via ocular demonstration and without prevarication, refuting this. Hence and thus my assertion and assumption concerning the financial aspects.

Now what about the silly putty? I think I am on to something!

Next up... Silly sputty!

You freakin' Libertarian you! :makepoint:

So it ends here? Divad - I really weant to know your definition of "candidate". Does it mean "profit"? You KNOW you and I will cross paths in the city sooner or later. Best make it sooner!

Yes, quarter bin books are Krap! (said in my best Scottish brogue)

All $$ aside, the books that benefit most from dry cleaning are those that in the eye of the unenlightened are unworthy -- they actually have all the HG qualities, but also have enough light soiling to turn most buyers away. Myself, if a raw SA book does not have light soiling, I am automatically suspect of it's provenance and prior "handling". Give me a book with dirt at the staples any day of the week my friend, and I'll show you a book that absolutely hasn't been frikked with :grin:

All $$ aside, the books that benefit most from dry cleaning are those that in the eye of the unenlightened are unworthy -- they actually have all the HG qualities, but also have enough light soiling to turn most buyers away.

Are you saying that such books do not exist in the quarter bins?

All $$ aside, the books that benefit most from dry cleaning are those that in the eye of the unenlightened are unworthy -- they actually have all the HG qualities, but also have enough light soiling to turn most buyers away.

Are you saying that such books do not exist in the quarter bins?

I don't know from quarter-bins :insane:

I was reading through masterprograms thread that he has showing examples of restoration experiments and having read through some of it, I thought I would give a little dry cleaning a try on some of my older worthless bronze era comics.

I had some white eraser and a dry cleaning pad from my mechanical drafting courses way back in high school left over. All I can say is that any attempt at restoration should be left up to the experts. One day when I'm less ashamed I'll show my failed attempts at dry cleaning and the irreparable damage I caused...lol.

Dont let no greasy bread touch your comics. Especially if youve access to absorbine.

Right. Wonder bread is just silly... don't do it. Basically the clean white bread acts as a sponge and the light oil acts as a solvent. It may work but one is really wiping oily bread on the paper. (tsk)

If one must dry clean, buy a white art eraser for 89 cents and do it right. Very, very gently use it in white areas only. It will smear or remove color inks. Clean the dirty tidbits from the eraser promptly because you don't want to be rubbing the dirty grains of eraser into the paper.