• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Bread?

124 posts in this topic

Bottom line: 'tis better left to the professionals... :)

:hi: Ar!

Well, in a way, yeah I guess. You don't have to be a pro but you have to put in some real time understanding and using logic etc.

I am not a pro restorer. Have never been paid to restore a book and have never worked on any book except those I owned. And danged few of them were anything but quarter to dollar bin books (yeah, I got a decent amopunt of real junkie GA in those bins 30 years ago) I bought "just to see what happens."

One thing I learned early on is that just repeating something that seems to work will one day backfire on you unless you have really throught through all of the ramifications of whatever process you are trying. Conversing or getting even a little guidance from a real professional opens ones eyes to this concept.

Ever use Wonder Bread to clean a Crime Suspenstories 25? :baiting::kidaround:

That was an early Club Sandwich experiment. The meat fat really brought out the cover gloss!

:o

That's one big freakin' sammich... :cloud9:

That was an early Club Sandwich experiment. The meat fat really brought out the cover gloss!

That's one big freakin' sammich... :cloud9:

Ou est le boeuf? Looks like a veggie-club to me! :sumo:

Except for the eggs, I'm there.

First time I tried to remove dirt on a comic it was a...............Iron Man #55. If I just

left it alone it would easily grade a 7.0. Now with a missing top corner....... Well, you

get the point. :insane::screwy::mad::cry::sick:

First time I tried to remove dirt on a comic it was a...............Iron Man #55. If I just

left it alone it would easily grade a 7.0. Now with a missing top corner....... Well, you

Tough way to learn . . . :grin:

Tough way to learn . . . :grin:

Yes it was, but that was years before there was a CGC.

so is anyone going to try this with a pos and post the before and afters?....

i would love to see what REALLY happens....

i would love to do it,but i'm at my place in costa right now..so,no comic books down here...lots of wonder bread though....

As an update to this I asked a friend of mine who owns a book binding business about using wonder bread to clean a book and he told me that he is well aware of the practice and the reason it works is that white bread is made from "bleached" flour. The bread being fresh would also be moist and would use the bleach in the flour as a cleaner. He also said it would work with any WHITE bread and better or worse depending on how much bleach was in the flour they made the bread with on any given day.

As an update to this I asked a friend of mine who owns a book binding business about using wonder bread to clean a book and he told me that he is well aware of the practice and the reason it works is that white bread is made from "bleached" flour. The bread being fresh would also be moist and would use the bleach in the flour as a cleaner. He also said it would work with any WHITE bread and better or worse depending on how much bleach was in the flour they made the bread with on any given day.

While not entirely unfounded I honestly think rubbing a wadded up piece of bleached bread is not going to have much better results then an unbleached bread wad. I think it has to do more with the bread itself being more gummy then bleachy. It is basically removing a surface layer of dirt, and while it might(mind you might)leave behind residule bleaching elements that make the paper whiter, I cant see it really affecting the book unless you made a comic sandwich out of wonderbread and left it sitting for 3 days to impart said bleaching affect.

Eitherway I would not let bread touch a comic book.

Cant tell from the scans. How did it work ?

I think you answered your own question! :gossip:

It wasn't that impressive. The bread did pick up some dirt but overall it still looked relatively the same. I concentrated on the front cover more than the back so it was cleaner. It was a mess though with bits of bread everywhere. It really wasn't worth the time...

Jim