• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor 114 page on ebay: Gotta love goofy plot devices

5 posts in this topic

I was looking at this great Silver Age page from JIM 114 ( Linky-dink )

Quote: "Lucky I brought some of these dynamite sticks with me, in case I needed them!" meh

Wow, that IS lucky! So was dynamite standard issue for reporters back in the day? I don't remember that from journalism school.... And just where did one go about acquiring the odd stick of dynamite? Ace Hardware? Sam's TNT club? Woolworth's? hm(shrug)lol

Actually you used to be able to go to the hardware store and buy it... just show some id. I did it about 25 years ago with a guy I was working for.

I think it depends on what part of the country you're in; I don't recall any over-the-counter dynamite in the Northeast.

I could be wrong, but I believe you could once drink while driving in Texas as long as you weren't intoxicated. Stronguy, am I crazy?

Back to Rhino's post, that bit sounds a lot like Stan Lee, and tongue-in-cheek at that. It's possible Kirby had some other setup as a rationale for carrying the dynamite and Stan ignored it. (Or he left out the rationale, so Stan ran with it and hammed it up.)