• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Collector Here!

86 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Over the past few days I've been thinking about starting a comic book collection, so naturally I started looking around for some forums to check out. This place, along with a few other sites seemed pretty cool. Anyway, my name is Anthony. Like pretty much everyone else on this planet, I've read various comics throughout my childhood, but I never really got into collecting. I am looking to start a good "reading collection" as well as a "collector's collection." My favorite superhero has to be Batman, but I really like all of the big names, as well as some of the smaller names. If you guys could steer me in any kind of direction as to how to start a collection, I'd be grateful! Now, I should mention that I don't have the funds to buy any really rare comics. That being said, what CGC comic (s) do you think are good ones to go after that aren't going to break my wallet? Thanks for any help in advance, and I look forward to hangin around here!

I hope I posted this in the right section...

That being said, what CGC comic (s) do you think are good ones to go after that aren't going to break my wallet? Thanks for any help in advance, and I look forward to hangin around here!

Welcome and you can pretty much dump the "other" sites you mentioned. This is THE place. You've heard it before: collect what you like, not necessarily what's hot. And as far as CGC books, you should always go to my thread in the Comic Market - Forum Only Selling, of course. (thumbs u

Of course I'm gonna collect what I like. I should've mentioned other titles aside from Batman, lol. I guess I am just looking for a good starter book. A good CGC book under $100. I like Batman, Detective Comics, Amazing Spiderman, Uncanny X-Men, and others. If you have any suggestions of good starters within those titles, that'd be cool. But of course I will keep my eyes open to find what appeals to me. Like I said though, I am really brand new to this whole hobby, so it's a bit overwhelming, lol! It seems like a lot of fun though, so I have a feeling I'll be stickin' around.

Of course I'm gonna collect what I like. I should've mentioned other titles aside from Batman, lol. I guess I am just looking for a good starter book.

Welcome and good luck.

The Neal Adams books are fun: CLICK

And some of the best Batman stories are fairly modern. Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween, etc.

You could start with finding keeper-examples of books you really enjoyed reading. Then follow the history trail as you get to know the writers, artists, characters, and various universes you like. Lots to explore out there as your own personal passions reveal themselves. Have fun.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

The Neal Adams Bats and Tecs are a great choice! :thumbsup: Back when I was a child into my teens I remember I collected mostly Marvel. The only exceptions to the rule was the Adams' DC runs (Batman, Tec, GL, Deadman, B&B) and Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing run...That was back when you only had to pay less than a buck per back issue! How times change! :doh:

If you are looking for great reads as well as to collect, don't forget, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, Marshall Rogers' Tec run, and of course Frank Miller's DKR and Daredevil run. Awesome stuff!

Just don't collect Fantastic Four. They really suck! :makepoint::baiting:

Again, Welcome!

Welcome to the boards, Anthony! :applause:

Enjoy your time here and read, read, read. Then buy, buy, buy. Then read some more, then buy some more.....well, you get the point. The "Comics Market-Forum Only Selling" area is a good place to keep your eye on. Lots of expensive and cheap books fly through there on a regular basis. Have fun! (thumbs u

Andy

Welcome to the boards! This place is definitely ripe with information about the comic collecting hobby... along with a few nutters as well.

A few points of advice:

1. Go pick up a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide. A new edition will be coming out in the next month and a half, so I would hold off on this one. Lots of GREAT info in here aside from comic prices. The Overstreet Grading Guide is also a useful tool to help get an idea of how to grade comic books. It's not perfect, but it's probably the closest thing to a published standard you'll find out there.

2. Read the two section of this forum on Grading and Restoration as well as Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Grade. Lots more issues to learn about in the first one necessary (in my mind) for buying comics raw (not encased in a cgc case), as well as getting an idea of how people go about grading comics.

These first two alone should help prevent you ( :wishluck: hopefully) from overspending on overgraded comics.

Another interesting website that I think is pretty informative. It's something I found helpful when first getting back into the hobby in any event.

Welcome to the hobby and by all means, feel free to PM members here if you have any questions. Most of us are pretty friendly, and willing to help!

Of course I'm gonna collect what I like. I should've mentioned other titles aside from Batman, lol. I guess I am just looking for a good starter book. A good CGC book under $100. I like Batman, Detective Comics, Amazing Spiderman, Uncanny X-Men, and others.

You seem like a nice guy, so I guess I'll leave it at that. doh!