• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So - - are any new comics values driven by hot new artists anymore?

8 posts in this topic

For many years, new comics values were driven by the concept of the Hot New Artist. But--- is that era over now? Who was the last New Phenom to shake up th enew comics world??? Pratt? I cant think of any recent examples... Can you?

All the important hot new books are story or content driven: new storylines, characters, series etc... Even hot WRITERS!

hm . . . I think one reason might be that the "hot" artists are too busy doing cover art. Used to be that the book's artist did his own cover, but you now see that less and less. There are too many variants and 2nd/3rd printings being done (by the likes of Turner and others). Even the 1st printings have a diff't cover artist half of the time. Makes for some nice eye candy, I guess, like Greg Horn's Ms. Marvel covers. But, you can't judge the book by it's cover.

There are so many good artists these days it's hard for any one to stand out. Andlike it was mentioned before, usually when there's a hot book it's an alternate cover (by the hot artist) that was shortprinted compared to the regular issue. And it's gotten so common lately that it has to be one of the 1 in 25,1 in 50,or 1 in 100 books to really bring any extra $. The 1 in 10's and 1 in 15's don't bring it like they used to.

Artists were hot in the 90's largely because writing was so poor. Today, it's an even playing field. For a book to sell, you need both a solid writer and artist. Which is the way it's supposed to be.

For truely ridiculous prices on moderns, it's more on the rarity of the book than the hot artist. 1:100 tends to drive the cost up (for a very short while). Obviously, some artists help boost it a bit more. Turner was a good example. Even then, there has to be something more behind the book then Turner. Using Hulk #100 as an example, it might have some chance of sustaining a good price (Planet Hulk, Turner cover, Anniversary issue, double size, etc). But even with all of that, it probably won't.

Pat

I think the last artist who was able to sell a book just based on his name being on it was, I think, Michael Turner. I know his variant cover of Ms Marvel being his first work for Marvel was a big selling point for at least a few people. Before him, an Alex Ross cover was bank, but superstar-artist-syndrome does seem to be at a low point, or maybe a high point because there are so many in such a wide array of styles. It's definitely not like 15 years ago where a SPlatt cover or something like that made a book sell out and go to $10 in Wizard. Frank Quitely or John Cassaday doing anything piques my interest, although not so much that I'll buy a book just for a cover anymore. The market right now seems driven by scarcity, events, and 1st apps, not so much creator names.