• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHUD: Comics Here Under a Dollar Convention

8 posts in this topic

I just read in a post somewhere (maybe CBG or here?) about a CHUD convention, a convention where the maximum price for a comic is $1. Comics Here Under a Dollar... or Make Mine Chud!

This is a fantastic idea.. and I think it should happen on the West Coast. It'd pretty much exclude every CGC'd comic.. but I think it's a good idea to revitalize interest for non-collectors and kids.

So if someone's in a position to set one of these Conventions up.. I'm there.

CHUD ROCKS!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

i found books you would not believe for $1 at that show. I am not posting this list to brag, but to give an idea of how good it was and what you can find there. I found DD v2 #1-7 (the kevin smith run), Wolverine #145-147 (Age of apocalypse, 146 went for $40 alone!), Wonder Woman #50(x3), 85 (ist deodato) all of the other age of apocalypse issues in Uncanny & x-men that average $6-$15 each, Batman 426-429, ASM #315-318 (Mcfarlane venoms), bronze horror like witching hours & more. I Was picky about condition too, all NM copies, except some of the Bronze horror which was VF-VF+. It was just sick! I wish they had one every month. Of course, you will NEVER see so many copies of Warriors of Plasm in your life then you will here, but it was a knockout! The Dealer who runs it, Bill Bead, is a great guy with a cool philosophy. His store is filled with $2 boxes & $5 boxes. Every book finds its way one or the other. He doesn't care about guide, or any of that, its just $2 or $5. He helped me out a lot, watched over me, when i was setting up at shows at the age of 15 and has been a great guy as long as i have known him (15 years now!) I wish you could all make out to one!

i found books you would not believe for $1 at that show. I am not posting this list to brag, but to give an idea of how good it was and what you can find there...

Sounds like quite a time....

Can you give us a rundown of how the convention was set up?

How much did it cost to attend?

How many dealers were there?

What was the attendance like?

If $1 per book was the maximum, how low did it get?

Were there any name artists or guests or was it a giant flea market?

Were these dealers that same dealers you see at conventions liquidating their overstock?

Did you enjoy it more than a regular comic convention?

its a very no frills show, roughly 10-12 dealers, some is oversock, some unbelievably enough is just regular stock! the cheapest were 25 cents, but they were things like warriors of plasm, prime, x-force & the like. I was offered a 20 longbox collection there for $400!!!!! I just couldn't store it, so i passed. its worth the drive if you are within a few hours. The attendance was low to average. It was fun for me because i could find great books, but a large show has more diversity. It should happen again in spring, sadly i will have relocated to New Orleans by then...... frown.gif