• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8?

32 posts in this topic

I know its a 9.8 but normally wouldn't the miswrap on this book cause the grade to drop?

I just wanted some feedback... to help me become a better grader in the future. Mind you, I already bought the book because its tough to find in that grade.

thx

cap275.jpg

I know its a 9.8 but normally wouldn't the miswrap on this book cause the grade to drop?

Nope, not all 9.8's are created equal, so buy the book, not the label.

Yep. More specifically, there are some qualitative elements that CGC doesn't account for in the technical grade...QP being one of them. If it bugs you, just follow your heart, not the label.

"Ignorance is bliss.."

Before joining this board, I was never aware of the miswrap on a comic book. I mean I've seen it before but subconciously, I was never really "aware" of it.

All I used to care about was whether my book had a crease, fingerprint or grease stain on it?

OWWP, COWP, miswraps, 9.8s, rusty staples, restos and color flecks...

:pullhair:

Yep. More specifically, there are some qualitative elements that CGC doesn't account for in the technical grade...QP being one of them.

Page Quality does count in the over all grade, unless I am misreading your statement.

Yep. More specifically, there are some qualitative elements that CGC doesn't account for in the technical grade...QP being one of them.

Page Quality does count in the over all grade, unless I am misreading your statement.

Thats why I'm stumped at the grade. Maybe it got the 9.8 cause the miswrap was, for the most, part straight? (shrug)

Its a great book except for it being off center...

PQ does not count in the grade, it *limits the grade* (like no TAN pages at 9.2 or higher), while QP does not, except at some ethereal level like 10.0's.

Thats why I'm stumped at the grade. Maybe it got the 9.8 cause the miswrap was, for the most, part straight? (shrug)

Once again, QP does not affect the grade, until to get to the ultra-high like of CGC 9.9-10's and even then it's still not a proven fact.

PQ does not count in the grade, it *limits the grade* (like no TAN pages at 9.2 or higher), while QP does not, except at some ethereal level like 10.0's.

The 'new' CGC grading standard is no Tan pages at 8.5 or higher.

30vjhvk.jpg

The 'new' CGC grading standard is no Tan pages at 8.5 or higher.

So is that book another mistake?

Not a mistake, just a 'change' in the grading standards and the way Tan/Off-Tan pages are taken into account on the overall grade of the book.

20-tantocream.jpg

Not a mistake, just a 'change' in the grading standards and the way Tan/Off-Tan pages are taken into account on the overall grade of the book.

I just noticed it was a new label, and thought maybe CGC had done another one like my CGC 9.2 mistake (which I really should send back someday :tonofbricks:).

And that X-Men 214 is a definite mistake, and you should contact Steve about it. It was always 9.0 or below for even Light-Tan, and now you're saying it's been lowered to 8.0 or less?

I just noticed it was a new label, and thought maybe CGC had done another one like my CGC 9.2 mistake (which I really should send back someday :tonofbricks:).

And that X-Men 214 is a definite mistake, and you should contact Steve about it. It was always 9.0 or below for even Light-Tan, and now you're saying it's been lowered to 8.0 or less?

doh! another chip in the rep of CGC...

If you do resubmit your X-men 114 CGC 9.2 it will get an 8.5. I guarantee it.

The X-men 214 is not mine. The Hulk 131 is mine. The scan is compressed but you can see outer cover = 9.0, inner cover 9.6. As soon as I got it back from CGC I called and was told that it got knocked down due to the Off-Tan pages.

After I posted the book on the Boards, Plitch came on and stated something to the effect that, "no book with Tan pages can achieve a grade greater than 8.5". If I knew how to search based on a user's posts I'd find it.