• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane Spider-Man Origin Page!

23 posts in this topic

McFarlane only re-told Spidey's origin once -- this is part 2 of the 2 page re-telling. I love how this page is a confluence of art and words -- you have McFarlane's ingenious panel webbing combined with the psychological transformation of Peter Parker into Spider-Man from battling his guilt/revenge over Uncle Ben's murder.

These pages certainly don't get any easier to find!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=361607&GSub=25463&GCat=0&UCat=0

How were you able to pick up this piece? I never see them for sale.

Good 'ol fashion networking.

If you're only looking on eBay, ComicLink, Heritage, and what winds up on dealers websites and tables at cons...you are really missing about 60% of the market.

This hobby seems to reward those who have put the time in and are practically obsessive about it.

Most collectors on CAF have truly earned thier collections!

How were you able to pick up this piece? I never see them for sale.

Good 'ol fashion networking.

If you're only looking on eBay, ComicLink, Heritage, and what winds up on dealers websites and tables at cons...you are really missing about 60% of the market.

This hobby seems to reward those who have put the time in and are practically obsessive about it.

Most collectors on CAF have truly earned thier collections!

Thats how I got my Mcfarlane Piece

Congrats, David!

Ffcomics: There have been quite a few McF Spidey pages on Ebay the last year. If you're looking for one, keep checking there. Here's a solid one that just sold this past week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200204987710

At the same time, you can always put the word out to private collectors that you're interested. My only suggestion there is to be serious and ready to pay. You don't want a reputation as a flake. Keep in mind that if you go that route, you often have to pay market or above. Good luck!

1.) Networking - Letting people know what you're looking for and that you're serious about buying a particular piece. I've found that just by asking, even though someone never had any intention of selling, they let me buy. And always ask if they have anything else. I've found there are collectors who have great collections on CAF, but even BETTER stuff hidden.....

2.) Following through when offered something you said "Let me know if you ever decide to sell....trade....move....etc... This will make them come to you first. Making a name for yourself as a particular type of collector. A speciality if you will. I've called up dealers and they'd be like "oh, you're the JLA guy".....Helps get you remembered.

3.) Conventions. Being at the right place at the right time. Alot of stuff changes hands, especially at the bigger shows. Dealers will have things that aren't ever shown on their websites.

4.) Buy the Previews magazine. Go through it and if a particular piece catches your eye, email the artist's rep (or even the artist if possible) and find out if it's available.

5.) Patience.....I just made a deal with a collector to buy a piece from his "vault" that took me 4 years to get something from him.....I think he's selling it to me more as a personal favor.

New collectors often ask these questions and I am sure another collector can add to my 2c

I left a comment on CAF saying "LMK if you ever want to sell it" and I got an email the next day :cloud9:

Good idea!

Yeah, and it turns out I own the earliest cover of the series not owned by the artist :cloud9: