• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics 1 not keeping pace?

89 posts in this topic

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.

No way in hell. No way. It's maybe a $500,000 book right now. The Church Action #1, even if it weren't in a permacollection would have to be worth four or five times that. The Allentown Tec 27 is in the same range as the Church #1.

disagree here, think IF this book comes to Market, that you would see multiples of what the 9.4 goes for NOW...if more 9.6's come into play, well that changes, BUT beginning to wonder if that will happen (ever). If this Particular book was up for sale at $500,000 tomorrow, think a # of people would be fighting over it. So yeah I think 1/2 million is the looooow end of what this book "might" sell for

I seem to remember MC #1 being #1 in OSPG as well when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. The only thing I can think of is that the market was at one time dominated by Marvel fans (hereafter known as Marvel Zombies) but the collecting world has come to realize that Action #1 is THE most important comic book ever created.

Close, but here's what actually happened.

During the 70's and early-80's, comic valuation was much more open, with many different types of books vying for attention, including #1 issues (the most important by far), landmark books, first appearances, first artist, villains, etc.

Because of this, Marvel Comics #1 had a heightened awareness in the collector ranks, as a #1 issue, multiple first-apps, and a landmark release, the first Marvel comic was viewed as more important than other challengers.

Then in the mid to late-80's, the sportscard industry jumped into comics, and their preoccupation with the "rookie card" phenomenon caused a HUGE up swell in the price of First Appearances, and these started to outpace other important books.

It was a quantum shift in how comics were ranked in terms of valuation and importance. This "new world order" pushed both Action 1 and TEC 27 ahead of Marvel 1, as these were deemed to be the most important "first appearances" of the GA. Marvel 1 was still a top book, but Subby and Co. simply could not compete with the Superman and Batman "rookie cards".

Then came the first Batman movie, which pushed TEC 27 into the top spot for awhile, before it was unseated again by Action 1 when Batmania died down, and that's essentially where we stand today.

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.

No way in hell. No way. It's maybe a $500,000 book right now. The Church Action #1, even if it weren't in a permacollection would have to be worth four or five times that. The Allentown Tec 27 is in the same range as the Church #1.

disagree here, think IF this book comes to Market, that you would see multiples of what the 9.4 goes for NOW...if more 9.6's come into play, well that changes, BUT beginning to wonder if that will happen (ever). If this Particular book was up for sale at $500,000 tomorrow, think a # of people would be fighting over it. So yeah I think 1/2 million is the looooow end of what this book "might" sell for

I will clearly state right now, that I would happily pay $1,000,000 for the Church Marvel 1, and I would pay more for the Church Action 1 or the Allentown Tec 27...

consider that a firm public offer...why am I so confident in stating that, because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they would all sell for far more than my offer, and if they didn't, I would truly be on :cloud9:

rick

Whomever won the ComicConnect October print for $41K yesterday really landed a super deal considering the Cage copy went for double that last year.

Isnt that like saying whoever bought Google last fall and again today got a bargain? Maybe its a TREND.

No its more base on fact. A 1.5 November copy sells for $19K 2 years ago, and a 2.0 copy sells for about the same but in 2005. Similar blue label November copies are selling in the $70K range so $41K for a nice SP restored copy that is a first print run, 10X rarer, to me sounds like a good deal. So far the only real direct comparable sales data we have to go on is the Cage copy.

If there was an October and November print of the Tec #27 with similar back story about the print run totals everyone would be on that bandwagon but for some reason the MC#1 doesn't get the same respect? I'd love to hear Geppi's, the Dentist, and other big players in the hobby what their thoughts are about this topic.

I will clearly state right now, that I would happily pay $1,000,000 for the Church Marvel 1, and I would pay more for the Church Action 1 or the Allentown Tec 27...

consider that a firm public offer...why am I so confident in stating that, because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they would all sell for far more than my offer, and if they didn't, I would truly be on :cloud9:

rick

:headbang:

I have to tell you price wise or historically wise Marvel 1 isnt in the # 3 spot overall, Superman # 1 is..Grade for grade superman # 1 is more valuable in every grade catagory that it has sold in.In my opinion an 8.5 superman # 1 would at least sell the equivelent of a 9.6 Marvel 1...Consider 8.5 would probably be the best copy to so this is arguable at the very least

I see you watched Lawrence Welk too when you were a kid.

Was that the weird old fogey show on PBS?

I watched LW with my family in the mid 70's...every saturday afternoon at 4pm on CBS? it was the lead in to the Donny and Marie show (and I was still a kid back then) lol

T he reason I brought up Lawrence welk is that the Geritol company[very wisely] always showed there commercials on that show..I watch it with my grand parents.

One of the biggest kicks I got outta watching T.V with my grandparents was when they watched wrestling. they really believed it was on the level back in the 60s.I remember them saying,,oh my god how can he do that.Oh my god ,they have to call the police

I watched LW with my family in the mid 70's...every saturday afternoon at 4pm on CBS? it was the lead in to the Donny and Marie show (and I was still a kid back then) lol

Hey, I don't remember you growing up in my home! :D LW and Donnie and Marie were an every week event for us, but 4 pm seems a little early, unless you are PST. BTW, my father, who is now 82, still enjoys the Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS.

Hey, I don't remember you growing up in my home! :D LW and Donnie and Marie were an every week event for us, but 4 pm seems a little early, unless you are PST. BTW, my father, who is now 82, still enjoys the Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS.

we are central TZ, so might have been 6pm, as it seems we always had pizza too, so more around dinner time...

Dave there is a lot more discussion on MC #1 in the golden age forum but I'll give it a shot...

I seem to remember MC #1 being #1 in OSPG as well when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. The only thing I can think of is that the market was at one time dominated by Marvel fans (hereafter known as Marvel Zombies) but the collecting world has come to realize that Action #1 is THE most important comic book ever created. It is the first app. of a true Superhero, and the model that all others follwed after. That coupled with the scarcity of an Action #1 in any grade as well as mystique surrounding the Mile High Action #1 (and the $1,000,000 bounty on it's head) all have something to do with it.

With the highest graded known CGC copy of Action #1 being an 8.5 and then a 7.5 it certainly seems to be more scarce in grade. MC #1 has 2 in 9.0, one in 8.5 and one in 8.0 recorded although John Verzyl owns the MH #1 if I'm not mistaken (actually he owns the entire MH Timely run except for his 9.6 Cap Am. #1 which is an Allentown is it not?) and that is probably a pretty nice copy.

(worship)

Hope that helps. A LOT has changed in the past 2 decades.

Roy.

Excellent post - you know your stuff!!!

CAL who is getting into the "Keys" market soon...