• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics 1 not keeping pace?

89 posts in this topic

I agree. It's just the high grade availability disparity is so great between the two books. I've never had anyone definitively say to me that a 9.0 or better Superman #1 even exists (the best copy has been quoted as 8.5 to 9.2) and the next best copy I've been able to verify is the MH, which is "only" an 8.0 (and has had some work done on it- which was later removed.) Compare that to the crowd at the top for Marvel #1. Marvel #1 at the top is practically like a Silver Age book.

what grade would Bangzooms copy of Supes #1 be in ? that sucker looks nice to me, it's got to be at least an 8.0 right ? (shrug)

I have never seen a scan of BZ's?

link?

well no, not a scan, but I'm referring to that pic he has of the Supes #1-5 and Batman #1-5 in the glass cabinet, and also the small scan he did supply of the back cover. lol

looked pretty freakin sweet to me..

Because the book has surpassed FF #1 as THE big SA key and is selling well over guide in every grade.

Didn't a 7.5 just sell for $43,000? That is GA key territory right there.

R.

---i know, i know, but $43K gets you what, an Action 1 with half its cover torn off?

I just can't get so excited about a book that most of the comic shops I'd wander into in the early 80s had up on their wall and you see plenty of at shows. I mean, yeah, it's exciting, but not seven figure exciting...

Because the book has surpassed FF #1 as THE big SA key and is selling well over guide in every grade.

R.

---i know, i know, but $43K gets you what, an Action 1 with half its cover torn off?

I just can't get so excited about a book that most of the comic shops I'd wander into in the early 80s had up on their wall and you see plenty of at shows. I mean, yeah, it's exciting, but not seven figure exciting...

There are what, 3 maybe 4 books that could pop 7 figures if graded/sold, right? MH Action #1, Allentown 'Tec #27, MH Marvel Comics #1...not many other books.

And these would be highest graded copies, right?

AF #15 is a $210,000-$220,000 book now. Comfortable 6 figures. And it's not even the highest graded copy, right?

That is right up there with the highest graded copy of Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 that has changed hands several times now.

Only a few books have sold for more and they are 20+ years older than the AF #15.

Bring out the AF #15 9.6? It'd probably be the highest recorded sale of any comic right now. It'd easily bust $300,000 IMO.

I don't know. I'd say it is comfortably there. Easy.

Just my 2c

I know we're talking about 9.6 copies and you can't even bring LG books into the discussion, but how can a book (AF 15) that was offered to me for $500 by one of the guys working for either Four Color or Metropolis at a show 10 or so years possibly be in the running with those HTF megabooks? Granted, it was about 2.5, but still....

R.

Roy; that price for a 7.5 sounds way out of whack. i checked Heritage, Clink and GPA and came up with 23,500 as the top 7.5 price. when/where did this sale happen??

I thought a white paged 8-8.5 sold on Pedigree/Comcilink for $40K+?

There are what, 3 maybe 4 books that could pop 7 figures if graded/sold, right? MH Action #1, Allentown 'Tec #27, MH Marvel Comics #1...not many other books.

And these would be highest graded copies, right?

AF #15 is a $210,000-$220,000 book now. Comfortable 6 figures. And it's not even the highest graded copy, right?

That is right up there with the highest graded copy of Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 that has changed hands several times now.

Only a few books have sold for more and they are 20+ years older than the AF #15.

Bring out the AF #15 9.6? It'd probably be the highest recorded sale of any comic right now. It'd easily bust $300,000 IMO.

I don't know. I'd say it is comfortably there. Easy.

Just my 2c

As I said earlier in the thread, I think 9.6 is probably a $500,000 book right now. Maybe more (6-700k wouldn't surprise me.)

As for the seven figure books. Right now:

Church Action 1

Allentown Detective 27

"other" 9+ Action 1

"other" 9+ Detective #27

(based on the rumor mill) Church All American 16

If the above is really sold and it really is somewhere near the offer we heard about 800k then..

Best Superman 1

Church Marvel 1

As some of you know, I have a hard time with the value on the Church Marvel #1 :)

As some of you know, I have a hard time with the value on the Church Marvel #1 :)

put it at $1,000,000 min

(thumbs u

Since the last 2 sales of the Pay Copy of Marvel 1 sold at right around the 200K range I just find it curious that the Church Marvel 1 would go to 7 figures. It has the 2 big pluses going for it:1- Church and 2- Highest graded (I imagine if it did get graded it wouldn't matter if it got a 9.6 or a 9.8, highest graded without a peer means its the best and by a good margin)

To get to that 7 figure number I imagine it being a Church is the main reason. My question is lets say the Church was a 9.0, how much do you think a non Pedigree copy in 9.6 would go for, or say if the 9.6 copy was the Pay copy with the writing on the cover ?

put it at $1,000,000 min

(thumbs u

Since the last 2 sales of the Pay Copy of Marvel 1 sold at right around the 200K range I just find it curious that the Church Marvel 1 would go to 7 figures. It has the 2 big pluses going for it:1- Church and 2- Highest graded (I imagine if it did get graded it wouldn't matter if it got a 9.6 or a 9.8, highest graded without a peer means its the best and by a good margin)

To get to that 7 figure number I imagine it being a Church is the main reason. My question is lets say the Church was a 9.0, how much do you think a non Pedigree copy in 9.6 would go for, or say if the 9.6 copy was the Pay copy with the writing on the cover ?

And the above is exactly why I have such a hard time putting a value to that book. With the exception of the Parino sale, high grade sales of Marvel #1 have been marshmallow soft for the better part of a decade now. Without exception they've been "surprising." Surprising on the low side :(.

But then we get to the anecdotes (along the lines of "I was looking for a flaw so I could get the price down and didn't find one"), the pedigree, the outlandish grade estimates and I want to ignore all that price history.

Argh.

I know we're talking about 9.6 copies and you can't even bring LG books into the discussion, but how can a book (AF 15) that was offered to me for $500 by one of the guys working for either Four Color or Metropolis at a show 10 or so years possibly be in the running with those HTF megabooks? Granted, it was about 2.5, but still....

R.

Roy; that price for a 7.5 sounds way out of whack. i checked Heritage, Clink and GPA and came up with 23,500 as the top 7.5 price. when/where did this sale happen??

I thought a white paged 8-8.5 sold on Pedigree/Comcilink for $40K+?

I did not see the sale, but understand the one being talked about was on comicconnect's auction. I read about it in another thread. I think a GA thread about the auction is where you can find the reference to the recent high-priced AF 15 7.5.