• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Long Term Investment Spidey #6 and #8 VF+ or Avengers 11-20 NM-???

25 posts in this topic

Hi guys need to sell some comics to make some money and was wondering which you would sell Amazing Spiderman #6 and #8 in CGC VF+ which is kind of common but in demand or Avengers #'s 11-20 all in CGC NM- except for two issues. Less common but also less expensive and less desirable. So which is the better investment long term say 5-10 years? 20 years?

Have a good rest of your weekend,

Eric

Less common but also less expensive and less desirable. So which is the better investment long term say 5-10 years? 20 years?

I would say, based on condition alone, that the Avengers run is the one to hold on to. Less desirable? Sure. But as the pool of collectors with desposable income and an interest in Silver Age books descreases in the next 10-20 years, I think truly high grade copies will be the only books retaining their value. VF and VF+ copies of Silver Age books will fall closer and closer to the Fine price in the coming years.

Less common but also less expensive and less desirable. So which is the better investment long term say 5-10 years? 20 years?

I would say, based on condition alone, that the Avengers run is the one to hold on to. Less desirable? Sure. But as the pool of collectors with desposable income and an interest in Silver Age books descreases in the next 10-20 years, I think truly high grade copies will be the only books retaining their value. VF and VF+ copies of Silver Age books will fall closer and closer to the Fine price in the coming years.

If that is the trend then I can't wait to own a VF+ of Amazing Fantasy #15 at half of what it is now....... cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If that is the trend then I can't wait to own a VF+ of Amazing Fantasy #15 at half of what it is now....... cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I couldn't wait, either. So I got a VF+ copy, restored, for rock-bottom cost. Looks GORGEOUS in a Bill Cole showcase sealer on my wall!

Well, I'd love to tell you to sell those Avengers books cause I'd love to pick up 11, 15, and 16 from you. However, it's tough to say. Avengers 11-20 are extremely hot right now. And ASM's have cooled slightly from their old pace. I'd say sell the ASMs I guess as they're not as high a grade, but it's also possible that Avengers are as hot as they're gonna get so perhaps now is the time to sell those. I don't know, but I guess I'll say sell the ASMs and hope that the census stays low while interest stays high on the Avengers.

Brian

Keep the Spideys. They've always been hot, always will be. The avengers books, to the average collector, are really nothing special. It is a tough call due to the nicer condition, but I would sell the avengers while they're the flavor of the month and hold onto the spideys - they've been the flavor of the last 40 years.

The quick answer is keep the higher grade run of Avengers since as you say, VF+ Spideys are pretty common. BUT - - the demand for Spideys will always be greater than Avengers completists wanting a run in NM-. Its a tough call, because I can see the guide prices going up faster on the Avengers since they are cheaper than the Spideys...and you would see paper profits faster on the Avengers books - - but of course, we are moving further and further away from guide prices meaning all that much.

So to me, the ever increasing demand of early Spideys will make those 2 books the ones to keep.

I would definately keep the Spideys.

The grade difference is not that great and Spidey's demand will always far outsrip the Avengers. Also you are talking ASM's in the 1-10 range that are highly collectable, Avengers 11-20 not so. If you were talking Avengers 1-10 then I would be whistling a different tune.

Questions before an answer:

1) What is the page quality of the books? While you say the Avengers are mostly NM-, if they have Cream to Off-White pages, they will sell for less than if better page quality. Regardless of the grade, many collectors shun Silver-Age books with less than Off-White pages.

2) Do you agree with CGC's grading? If you believe the ASM are borderline VF/NM, than they might be worth holding on to more than say a slightly overgraded Avengers in NM-. In other words, don't sell because of the label, unless you feel that the label grade / page quality is accurate (which they may well be).

To possibly answer your question, I would sell the books that you feel are possibly overgraded and have the lesser page quality. While you might not get as much as you need right now, the other books are probably the best long term investment.

Me, I'd keep the Avengers and sell the Spideys. Yes, in the long term Spideys will be more popular than Avengers, but 9.2s will also always be more popular than 8.5s. Also, every year Overstreet designates more classic covers, and I think Avengers 12 and 16 fall into that category.

In answer to some questions they all have off-white to white pages or off-white pages I try not to buy cream to off-white either. I think most of the books are right on but the Spidey #8 could easily get a 9.0 because it is one of the nicest 8.5s I own out of like 20. And of course Bob I would love to keep them all but I need big $$$ fast for a new purchase so thats not an option.

Eric

but 9.2s will also always be more popular than 8.5s.

Have to disgree here. Condition certainly isn't everything when it comes to selling a comic book, and certainly not when we are talking about only a 0.7 spread as noted by only one grading opinion (that of CGC). The popularity of a character/book has a great deal more impact on a books value than a small difference in grade.

I feel that it is very short sighted to get caught up in the current wave of CGC mania sweeping the market and assume that just because a book has achieved a CGC grade of 9.2, then that is enough to entice a future buyer.