• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original COVERS for BRONZE keys

53 posts in this topic

This may be a dumb question, but out of curiosity...

do all the original cover art for all the Bronze keys (Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1, X-Men 94, Spidey #129, 121, 122, Green Lantern 76, etc.) still exists, and if so does anyone know where they are?

hm

GS Xmen 1 and ASM 121, 122 exist and are buried in collections. ASM 129 has not surfaced.

Yup! My understanding is that GL 76 is in a very private collection, as well (although I've never seen it).

One of my favorite BA covers (although I don't think it qualifies as a "key") is SUPERMAN #233. I was lucky enough to see the OA for that last year. One of Neal Adams' best (worship)

I heard that the GL 76 is in a private collection as well. Slightly off of Bronze Age, I remember some of the cover from the "key " books from DC that are around : Superman 199, GL 40, JLA 21, HOS 92, and a couple others that I can't remember.....

The full-size pencil prelim of Spider-man #129 did surface a little over a year ago. Allegedly, Kane gave it to his next door neighbor as a gift. I've always wondered if Romita inked the final version on vellum over that pencil version by Kane or if it was redrawn onto another board. Likely it was re-drawn, but no one has been able to confirm since the final version has never surfaced.

Hulk 181:

A long time dealer once told me herb trimpe had the original art in his garage and wouldn't sell it. Can't confirm it though. You could try to ask some of his relatives listed on this web site...

http://www.herbtrimpe.com/6.html

6.gif

That's not true. I spoke with him about this about 6 months ago. He said he has very little of his original art, especially from that time. He said he doesn't remember what happened to the cover but he hasn't had it in well over 20+ years.

Good question.. no clue.. maybe 250K????hm

Interesting price you put out there...I don't think a cover has breached $200.000 yet (money not "trade" )

The most expensive cover I can think of is Batman #11 that went for $170.000 (without BP) in Summer 2005

I dunno...

You have to remember that Kevin Eastman sold all the TMNT #1 art (cover, interiors, etc.) for $250k. Depending on how you'd price out the individual pages of the book, I 'd say the cover went for quite a bit.

So you figure for something like Hulk #181, I really don't think that price would be completely unreasonable...