• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question?

9 posts in this topic

Being someone who has NEVER bought a piece of OA, I wanted some opinions on how much I could expect to spend if I went after this piece in the upcoming Signature HA? Forgive my newbie question.

Thanks! :foryou:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?SaleNo=828&LotIdNo=20025&txtSearch=&hdnSearch=true

Being someone who has NEVER bought a piece of OA, I wanted some opinions on how much I could expect to spend if I went after this piece in the upcoming Signature HA? Forgive my newbie question.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?SaleNo=828&LotIdNo=20025&txtSearch=&hdnSearch=true

This is a relatively tough piece to pin down. There has not been another cover from this era sold by Heritage in almost 6 years..and that's far too stale a sale to help. Looking at Comic Art Fans market data you find almost nothing to help there either.

The most recent sale was the Colan/Steranko #44 cover that sold a couple years back. Even that is a different animal because of Steranko's work on it.

So it's back to gut feeling and thinking of other covers from the era.

I look at it and I feel $5,000. That's not a highest, best case type number, that is a conservative figure...especially given how crazy the art market is. Being that material from this title and era have been relatively sparse coming to market it could create enough interest to blow past that number to a degree.

You just don't see this type of quality material with these elements going for much less than $5,000.

Chris

PS...I meant to add if this were Kane you'd probably start it up at $7500 instead. The artist makes a huge difference, of course.

This is a relatively tough piece to pin down. There has not been another cover from this era sold by Heritage in almost 6 years..and that's far too stale a sale to help. Looking at Comic Art Fans market data you find almost nothing to help there either.

The most recent sale was the Colan/Steranko #44 cover that sold a couple years back. Even that is a different animal because of Steranko's work on it.

I look at it and I feel $5,000. That's not a highest, best case type number, that is a conservative figure...especially given how crazy the art market is. Being that material from this title and era have been relatively sparse coming to market it could create enough interest to blow past that number to a degree.

You just don't see this type of quality material with these elements going for much less than $5,000.

Chris

PS...I meant to add if this were Kane you'd probably start it up at $7500 instead. The artist makes a huge difference, of course.

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! (thumbs u

Thanks for doing a little research for me Chris :)

Chris

$5,000 is a good estimate. The cover to 89 sold not that long ago for 5 or 6K. I forget which now though.

I was witness to a recent all-cash private sale of a DD cover from this era. I believe the price was $5,500 and went to a foreign buyer who took advantage of the ridiculously weak U.S. dollar. doh!