• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 VG Jack Kirby signature, enhancement or detraction?

10 posts in this topic

My guess at that grade would be that it has no effect or a marginal effect. I think a signature like that would enhance the value of a reader (good) copy and detract from the value of a more collectable condition copy (fine and up). Just a semi-educated guess though.

Of course the Kirby signature on pg. 1 would enhance the value of the comic. Would detract if Kirby or Stan Lee boldy signed the Marvel key on the front cover even if only vg. I've seen too many DD 1, Avengers 4, FF 48 893naughty-thumb.gif signed on the front cover in black sharpie by Stan the Man.

I'd guess that if it came with any form of verification. It'd get a decent premium above the regular VG price. Jack Kirby is and always will be a fan favorite. And there's tons of people seeking a certified autograph.

Brian

Agree wholeheartedly... the King's sig would command some premium - maybe 10% ? Maybe more. I had Kirby sign (in margin of first page) four or five Avengers and FFs back in 1976... no idea what happened to those...sigh...

Do still have his autograph, tho - on a floorplan for BayCon2 (1976)...same scrap of paper has Jim Starlin's, Gil Kane's and Frank Brunner's sigs, as I recall...

I am living in bizarro world as dictated by Overstreet and CGC. Ugly pencilling of the date adds 'flavor' to a comic, one can just imagine the patriotic stockboy scribbling in the cover date, aww shucks just warms the heart. But a signature by King Kirby the man who toiled to bring children joy, UGHHH it defaces a nice mint book.

893frustrated.gif

sign-funnypost.gif Good point, Duncan... although in fairness, Overstreet has for many years considered arrival dates as a kind of blemish/defect. I don't think Overstreet allows arrival dates on books in better than VF, if memory serves...?

I don't think Overstreet allows arrival dates on books in better than VF, if memory serves...?

According to the Overstreet Grading Guide:

NM 9.2 to Mint 9.9 - "Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped, or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location."

VF/NM 9.0 - "Several lightly penciled, stamped, or inked arrival dates."

VF 8.0 - "Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present."

At 4.0 VG - "Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc., have no effect on this grade."

Hope this helps...

I think that a signature actually helps the book in this grade... not necessarily in terms of grading, but it's significant in terms of being able to pitch the book in its "coolness" factor... I like sigs in low grade... but there's always that nagging question of verification.

NM 9.2 to Mint 9.9 - "Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped, or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location."

I guess the possible .1 deduction for ugly scribbling on the cover of a book is Overstreets tip of the hat to reality. How gracious. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif