• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Question About Framing

20 posts in this topic

I want to have my first purchase of original art framed and had some questions about the process. I don't have much knowledge about the process, so any added information you would like to share in addition to my questions would be very helpful.

1) Is there a particular type of glass I should choose?

2) Do I need to inform the framing shop of any particular way to care for the piece of art? Any instructions I should provide?

The piece I'm having framed is a regular 11x17 piece of comic book art.

Common question on these boards.

Biggest recommendation is to frame a copy of the art and not the original.

Secondly many stores run half price framing sales all the time so it's best to wait for that.

Lastly, I think glass is more or less a personal preference. Most glass used for framing is someone UV protecting but it wont matter if you frame a copy. I personally prefer clear glass over the non-glare variety but that will depend on your preference and where you are going to hang it.

I know the logic behind this, but I never understood it.

It's like owning the Mona Lisa - but hiding it in the closet and putting up a poster of it instead.

I know that if it's a good copy you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. But I KNOW it's a copy.

I just don't see the sense on spending that much on a piece of art (not to mention the frame) and NOT put it on the wall.

Just make sure the framer uses acid-free, archival materials when framing. Mount it in a way that you can remove the art from the frame without damage. Use a mat so the art doesn't come in direct contact with the glass. Don't hang in direct sunlight.

And no matter what. No matter how much they beg. Never, ever feed them after midnight.

It's like owning the Mona Lisa - but hiding it in the closet and putting up a poster of it instead.

I know that if it's a good copy you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. But I KNOW it's a copy.

I just don't see the sense on spending that much on a piece of art (not to mention the frame) and NOT put it on the wall.

I agree.

Might as well approach collectors/dealers asking to buy copies from them, and save yourself a fortune . . .

Biggest recommendation is to frame a copy of the art and not the original

I think Buffyfan makes a solid point. I bought the cover painting to a YA novel my wife and I had written; when I had it framed (double-matted/museum glass/great frame), the bill clocked in at over $400. I spent roughly the same cost to have a Daniel Horne painting framed. They look great and I'm glad I spent the money. On the other hand....

I made copies of made of two b&w Warrior Nun covers for the guest room. Decent 16 x 20 frames, nice mats, clear glass and each one ran less than $25 total. My guests don't care and most of my OA is stored away for protection and private viewing, anyway. My son actually prefers the copies -- the black is sharper and the blue line is gone.

I made copies of made of two b&w Warrior Nun covers for the guest room. Decent 16 x 20 frames, nice mats, clear glass and each one ran less than $25 total. My guests don't care and most of my OA is stored away for protection and private viewing, anyway. My son actually prefers the copies -- the black is sharper and the blue line is gone.

Personally – I WANT to see the imperfections. Give me the blue line. Give me a little white out. Give me the the curling edge of an old paste up.

These are the things that I love about OA. If I wanted to look at a copy, I'd spend $15 on a stat.

Just make sure the framer uses acid-free, archival materials when framing. Mount it in a way that you can remove the art from the frame without damage. Use a mat so the art doesn't come in direct contact with the glass. Don't hang in direct sunlight.

And no matter what. No matter how much they beg. Never, ever feed them after midnight.

I was going to comment about this last night, and I see others have the same feeling. This maybe a popular recommendation that I read a lot on the boards. But I have got the impression that many of the people who make it really aren't art collectors. It seems to me that most of the people who are into OA on here and chose to have things framed have the actual piece done and not a copy. Just keep pieces out of sunlight. Be mindful of indoor lights, but I doubt most will do much damage especially if you do get UV protective or Museum glass. If your worried about theft then I would make sure your portfolio is hidden well cause it's a lot easier to walk away with multiple pieces in one of those than a mess loaded of bulky framed art or more work to free them from a frame.

This maybe a popular recommendation that I read a lot on the boards. But I have got the impression that many of the people who make it really aren't art collectors.

Mephisto, old slug, I think you're wrong.

Anyone that comes to these boards and reveals themselves openly to be interested in the subject is a person that I admire. The rest of the world, though, just ain't that impressed. My assumption, then, is that everyone here is actively interested in comic original artwork. If they buy comic OA, they're art collectors.

Those collectors may not choose to do an expensive hang-n-frame because (a) they can't afford it; (b) they want to protect their artwork from exposure/theft/damage; © every dollar spent on Museum glass is a dollar not spent on MORE comic OA.

All of which includes me.

The framing shops may not agree but the rest of us should hang together.

Personally – I WANT to see the imperfections. Give me the blue line. Give me a little white out. Give me the the curling edge of an old paste up.

These are the things that I love about OA. If I wanted to look at a copy, I'd spend $15 on a stat.

Ditto,

If I spend a paycheck on a pretty picture on nice paper, I want to frame it and hang it up.. for the most part. Why frame at all if you are framing a copy (shrug) . I recently had one of my pieces framed and matted in a nice black frame with UV glass for about 100 with tax. I'd recommend that 2c

This maybe a popular recommendation that I read a lot on the boards. But I have got the impression that many of the people who make it really aren't art collectors.

Mephisto, old slug, I think you're wrong.

Anyone that comes to these boards and reveals themselves openly to be interested in the subject is a person that I admire. The rest of the world, though, just ain't that impressed. My assumption, then, is that everyone here is actively interested in comic original artwork. If they buy comic OA, they're art collectors.

Those collectors may not choose to do an expensive hang-n-frame because (a) they can't afford it; (b) they want to protect their artwork from exposure/theft/damage; © every dollar spent on Museum glass is a dollar not spent on MORE comic OA.

All of which includes me.

The framing shops may not agree but the rest of us should hang together.

I'm taking about comic collectors on the broad who don't even own any OA that ahve made this recommendation in the past. BTW I'm sure I'm younger than you.

Ditto,

If I spend a paycheck on a pretty picture on nice paper, I want to frame it and hang it up.. for the most part. Why frame at all if you are framing a copy (shrug) . I recently had one of my pieces framed and matted in a nice black frame with UV glass for about 100 with tax. I'd recommend that 2c

As an alternative, I frame my OA for about $18. I'm not a big fan of large frames, I like a very simple frame. I buy the do-it-yourself metal frames from Hobby Lobby when they're on sale for 50% off (about once a month they run a sale on them), or about $10. I then buy a piece of glass and acid free backing (cut to 12x18) from a frame shop here in town for $8. Then I put it all together and hang it.

I prefer uv plexi incase the frame falls the glass wont brake and damage the art. its more expensive but if the piece is expensive its worth it.

That's actually what I use instead of glass. You just have to be sure not to use anything other then a dry cotton cloth when cleaning it or the plexi will scratch.

I've done a lot of framing of fine art prints. Costs were high enough at the framing shop that I taught myself and learned a lot.

If you are framing a copy, go cheap.

If you use metal frames and acid-free foam board you are in good shape, just make sure your glass/plexiglass is conservation rated to block all UV rays.

Hobby Lobby and most frame stores stock NON-acid-free mats. Acid-free mats usually cost three times as much. Using a NON-acid-free mat is guaranteed to turn the edges of your art yellow in as little as 3-5 years. There is no better way to ruin a piece of art than using something other than acid-free. You can buy these cheaper over the internet at a ton of places and have your local shop cut them for you.

Never adhesive mount your art to the foam board. Use framing tape or mylar framing corners.

Always use conservation-rated glass. A lot of stores don't stock it but it is vital to preservation. It costs a lot more than traditional glass, though.

Hanging art on an exterior wall can lead to moisture build up and damage to the art. Try to hang it on a wall whose other side is also on the interior of the house.

You can frame a print yourself for about 1/3 what a store will charge you but the start-up costs will be about $1,000 to get the right equipment. If you've got a local warehouse that sells to the public, you can usually make up the money on your first four frames. There's one in Louisville, KY called Framer's Supply that is great to deal with and I think hey sell everything you need over the internet or by phone. They'll even cut things for you if you know the dimensions you want.

as a cheap alternative, this weekend I framed my OA using $25 plexiglass frames bought at Target, with matting I cut myself. I kept the artwork in mylar sleeves, then taped the sleeves into place in the frame. Looks just fine, and I assume that while protected in the mylar, the art will be fine?

or am I missing something?

I have my father-in-law frame all of my artwork (and he's got a nice little pile waiting for him when he gets home from vacation!). He uses metal frames (which he custom cuts), UV protection plexi, and acid free matte, tape, & backing. He frames a lot of his signatures (which are often on photos or index cards) so he's VERY particular about doing this w/o damaging the item. The big snag, however, is with or without the UV plexi I still make sure there are curtains in the room, and there is no direct sunlight hitting the art.

I just wish it was cheaper....

as a cheap alternative, this weekend I framed my OA using $25 plexiglass frames bought at Target, with matting I cut myself. I kept the artwork in mylar sleeves, then taped the sleeves into place in the frame. Looks just fine, and I assume that while protected in the mylar, the art will be fine?

That's a good idea. However, I'm not sure how well mylar blocks UV light.

That's a good idea. However, I'm not sure how well mylar blocks UV light.

Mylar is advertised as UV resistant.