• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The single most Valuable CGC graded comicbook ?

198 posts in this topic

let me state however that if an 8.5 Blue label Action 1 with no negitive notes came to market it would indeed be more valuable than the 9.4 AA16..It would not be a contest at all.

There's no way this Action 1 will hit the market with those label notes.

I dont know..it was a general statement about the movement of rust...which depends on the environment it currently sits in

Exactly. Which is why I responded to your comments about it taking decades/centuries to migrate.

let me state however that if an 8.5 Blue label Action 1 with no negitive notes came to market it would indeed be more valuable than the 9.4 AA16..It would not be a contest at all.

Don't think you can disagree with that. Clean Blue Label Action 1 8.5 would basically be the highest graded copy of the most desirable comic book in existence that anybody could attain. Church copy may as well not exist.

yeah....that sounds right.

The Action 1 still may beat the AA16 though, rusty staples and all. To own the highest graded ( and in high grade - VF+ ) copy of the #1 book in the entire hobby may trump the 9.4 Mile High of a "Top 10" book in the hobby............Action 1 is "THE" Grail.....AA16 will never and has never held that distinction. The Green Lantern had his time, and it is now gone........Superman continues to dominate (not like Batman or Spider-Man, but you know what I mean)

Steve

Does CGC still note when staples are rusted ona a book? If not, I would think the owner of that book would benefite by gettign it reholdered.
Good point, he could re-sub and the label would not note the rusted staples.

I think it was mentioned in the other thread that you have to pay to take negative notes off of a book. And seeing what the book is I highly doubt its provenance will not be known if that does occur and it goes on the market.

Ok since there seems to unanimity that the AA16 Church is the higher value book, how much does rusted staples hurt this book's value ? Clean v this copy what would the sale prices be ?

:think: If it's true you can get notes taken off a book--and money is involved--this just seems like a move that will do nothing other than reduce the credibility of CGC (something they clearly don't want). There's obviously less certainty for buyers when notes can vanish. Shouldn't the notes follow a book, period?

Also, although Overstreet isn't the absolute end word, when CGC varies with them (i.e. rusty staples), there should be some published, accessible document that clarifies at least when they do (which, to my knowledge, isn't available at all).

That Action 1 has a bit of spine roll, some light markings in the white logo, some tanning and rusty staples.

8.5 seems pretty generous to me............ :o

BUT, i thought you could replace staples with Vintage ones very carefully and avoid a purple label????? (shrug)

Does CGC still note when staples are rusted ona a book? If not, I would think the owner of that book would benefite by gettign it reholdered.
Good point, he could re-sub and the label would not note the rusted staples.

I think it was mentioned in the other thread that you have to pay to take negative notes off of a book. And seeing what the book is I highly doubt its provenance will not be known if that does occur and it goes on the market.

Ok since there seems to unanimity that the AA16 Church is the higher value book, how much does rusted staples hurt this book's value ? Clean v this copy what would the sale prices be ?

:think: If it's true you can get notes taken off a book--and money is involved--this just seems like a move that will do nothing other than reduce the credibility of CGC (something they clearly don't want). There's obviously less certainty for buyers when notes can vanish. Shouldn't the notes follow a book, period?

Also, although Overstreet isn't the absolute end word, when CGC varies with them (i.e. rusty staples), there should be some published, accessible document that clarifies at least when they do (which, to my knowledge, isn't available at all).

CGC should not take notes of a book they have already labeled.

What would the book grade at without the rust though, I'm pretty sure it took a substantial hit for the rust :juggle:

I have discussed this with a few prominant collectors and they feel a 9.2/9.4..

Does the picture show a bit of a spine roll ?

What would the book grade at without the rust though, I'm pretty sure it took a substantial hit for the rust :juggle:

9.2/9.4?

What about the staining(foxing?) along the spine? Or is that scanner related?

9.2/9.4?

Dont forget about the GA bump :baiting:

9.2/9.4?

Oh I agree with you Beyonder,,, I dont agrree with 9.4/9.2...I dont even agree with 8.5 because rusted staples cant get an 8.5 in MY mind

9.2/9.4?

Oh I agree with you Beyonder,,, I dont agrree with 9.4/9.2...I dont even agree with 8.5 because rusted staples cant get an 8.5 in MY mind

I don't understand it, but CGC seems to go soft on rusty staples. There was an example in Nik's last grading contest where a book had rusty staples with migration...and CGC barely hammered it at all. (shrug)