• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Read this and respond

44 posts in this topic

Tell him you want to buy them & ask for his house address so you can send a money order. Then after you have his mailing address tell him you have changed your mind & you're going to fly out with 2 weightlifter friends to exchange the money for the comics in person. He will be left sweating bullets.........

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

COD is NOT the answer. Whether UPS, USPS, or Private Carrier, the money, or a CASH equivalent of it that you CANNOT stop MUST be placed in the Driver's hand BEFORE you take possession of the parcel. Even if you open the parcel right in front of the driver and there is nothing but bricks in the boxes, he CANNOT and WILL NOT give you the money back even if he sees the obvious scam...he CAN'T. Your only recourse is through legal channels at that point.

Flying out is NOT the answer either. You could be putting yourself in a dangerous situation where you lose more than just your money because he would be expecting you to be arriving with dough in pocket because nothing about this "deal" sounds even remotely legitimate.

The CGC for every book is troubling.

However, I had a friend who in 1995 sold all his Spider-mans (1-200ish) and everthing else he had -- you name it from the late 60s and 70s -- and a bunch of ECs for US$1,000.

I told him he was crazy (after asking him why he had not called me first) and he said simply, "I was tired of having them around and just wanted them out of the house without a hassle."

So there are instances where things just get off-loaded.

Mark in Taiwan

Why don't both of you set him up for a trap?

Both of you should just claim that you are interested and that you want to make 100% sure that he's going to sell it to you and that you would be sending a money order out within 4 days. Once he agrees to sell, have the other say the same thing and see if he accepts both of your offers! shocked.gif Make him think that he has two checks coming hahahahaha.

"Thank you for thinking of me, I am definitely interested in these books at the price you have quoted but I wonder if you could provide me with some more information about them. Are they all CGC graded? If not, which ones are? Can you provide me with some bar code numbers so that I can verify the books on the CGC database? I will also need to see some scans or photos of the books to make sure that you actually have the books. I hope that you can appreciate my position. If I am to raise this kind of money I will need some assurances beyond your word that these books are in your possession."

In all honesty, it sounds too good to be true BUT if he can deliver more information/scans then for the money you will be saving if you buy them at that price and then sell them, I think you should consider taking some time off and actually going to see the collection in person over a weekend.

If it is all that he says that it is, then you have a cashier's check ready for him. If it is a scam you go home and cancel the check.

You might want to bring a friend with you, for security reasons, and to help move the boxes with you.

Kev

I don't know how anybody can even begin to take this seriously. I don't know who I'm more disappointed in - the scammer or anybody who thought for more than 1 millisecond that this might have even a 0.00001% chance of being legitimate. Oh, the humanity. Murph, you need to move to NYC from Iowa...you'll quickly develop a New Yorker's healthy sense of skepticism to protect yourself from yourself.

More to the issue at hand, nobody in their right mind would slab the entire ASM 1-400 run. It would cost $10,000+ to do so and who in their right mind would even bother to slab, say, #364-399. And as Odin88 astutely pointed out, there is no CGC 9.5 grade. Not to mention anybody smart enough to know what CGC is knows better than to sell out for 5 cents on the dollar.

There is ZERO chance that this is valid and I state that with metaphysical certainty. Forget the COD, forget the scans, forget flying out here. If you take any action at all, it should be to get this guy banned from eBay if he is a member or to cause him grievous bodily injury if you happen to moonlight as The Punisher.

Gene

Actually I have seen the entire run SLABBED up on e-bay before in a single lot. I have no idea if it met reserve or not. This would have been about 6 months to a year ago.

It does sound like a scam, but I don't think there's any harm in asking the spammer to put his money where his mouth-er-keyboard is....

Kev

Actually I have seen the entire run SLABBED up on e-bay before in a single lot.

Actually, that slabbed run ended at issue #300, not #400. I remember reading about it in CBG. It was auctioned by Ideal Collectables (the Hawaii-based dealer) and did not meet reserve despite a $40,000+ high bid. I believe the article said ummmseven (Bonds25 on this Board?) was the high bidder.

Gene

Actually, I happen to be trying to complete 300-400 in CGC grade..why not get a full CGC run..it's pretty cheap to buy them after they've been graded.

And Idealcollectibles did have a full run..that stopped at 300 but I believe they were throwing in 301-441. Anyways, most of the earlier issues were so-so grade wise.

Brian

Actually, I happen to be trying to complete 300-400 in CGC grade..why not get a full CGC run..

Why not get a full CGC run...most of those issues aren't even good enough to wipe one's with, let alone slab in plastic! A good chunk of that run was worse than even the Clone Saga books.

But let's not stray from the point, which is that if #1-300 alone were bid at some $42,000 and didn't meet reserve, no one is going to sell #1-400 with all the early issues in really high grade for 5% of that and take a 75% loss just on the grading fees and a 98+% loss overall. Anyone who owns a CGC book would know full well that any one of those books you listed would fetch the price he's asking for all 400. It is ludicrous beyond belief.

Gene

The sign of a true fan is someone who sticks with something during the low points and even the high ones..I didn't ditch out cause the book sucked for a couple years.

Some people should start giving that a shot..

Brian

"I didn't ditch out cause the book sucked for a couple years.

Some people should start giving that a shot.."

lol i think you'll find that most people don't have the cash to throw around on stuff they think is rubbish grin.gif

lol i think you'll find that most people don't have the cash to throw around on stuff they think is rubbish

Unless your paying waaaaaaay below cover price! grin.gif

[i'm referring to non-key Bronze Age & Modern Age books, which applies to many of those Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 books]

To this day I regret passing up on a VF-NM lot of about 240 raw Amazing Spider-Man books with a complete run of issues 200-300+ (I have forgot exactly how long the complete run was, but I know that it included a complete run of issues 200-300) that sold on eBAy for about .50 cents each! Grrrrrrr I should have bid, but a lack of funds at the time held me back.