• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor #182 ?

9 posts in this topic

I was just on comiclink, and noticed there was a 9.8 copy for at "only" 6x guide. (I'm a sucker for Dr. Doom covers). So I went to the census to check out the population #'s before I placed my buy it now bid with comiclink. I'm glad I did. Those census #'s are crazy! Am i right assuming that this is a "warehouse book"?

Jim

I was just on comiclink, and noticed there was a 9.8 copy for at "only" 6x guide. (I'm a sucker for Dr. Doom covers). So I went to the census to check out the population #'s before I placed my buy it now bid with comiclink. I'm glad I did. Those census #'s are crazy! Am i right assuming that this is a "warehouse book"?

Jim

Someone mentioned earlier that a dealer brought a bunch of them to a convention one time and there are lots of copies of this book in high grade. So, you can be patient and another one should show up soon! sumo.gif

Yes. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay (Comgeek being one of them) who keep pulling 9.8's of this book out of thin air. It's obvious that this was a wharehouse find.

Someone mentioned earlier that a dealer brought a bunch of them to a convention one time and there are lots of copies of this book in high grade. So, you can be patient and another one should show up soon! sumo.gif

Ejaenter cherry picked some primo copies from a dealer at a NY con who had a bunch of 'em. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The cgc market on ComicLink is surprisingly strong compared to eBay. They recently auctioned an Avengers 4 cgc 9.2 for about $3,400. juggle.gif

I stopped watching those auctions because you can't even tell whether something sold or not! When reserve isn't met, it doesn't say that in the completed auction anywhere that I can find.

Someone mentioned earlier that a dealer brought a bunch of them to a convention one time and there are lots of copies of this book in high grade.

That was ME!! hi.gif

There was a dealer at a New York show who has a stack of Thor #182 and three or four other titles from the same month (I can't remember what they were but they were Marvels). When I got there, he still had probably about 25 copies of Thor #182 and I cherry picked those (I got one 9.8 and two 9.6s). However, Comgeek had beaten me to the punch and had already gone through them and snagged all the other 9.8s and 9.6s. It wasn't until a month later that I realized it had been Steve "Would You Like That Well-Done Or Medium-Rare" Lauterbach.

I wouldn't call it a "warehouse find" because it wasn't like he had stacks and stacks and stacks of books.

I was the one who got really lucky because I threw the first 9.8 onto eBay and I got $450 for it.

ouch

I had no idea that there were going to be 16 more of them showing up on the census. However, I don't believe a single one of them has white pages because all the copies I saw had the beginnings of halos.

The cgc market on ComicLink is surprisingly strong compared to eBay. They recently auctioned an Avengers 4 cgc 9.2 for about $3,400.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stopped watching those auctions because you can't even tell whether something sold or not! When reserve isn't met, it doesn't say that in the completed auction anywhere that I can find.

I believe I got two very good deals on auctions yesterday. I agree, it would be nice to know if a book sold or not, but if you are bidding on them, you will know if you have met reserve or not. Plus, there probably isn't a lot of last minute sniping yet.