• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 38. Price movement thread.

111 posts in this topic

Will someone post FF1 in F, VF, & NM...and % inc from last year?

This will save me from buying an Overstreet...

FN 3,750

VF 12,500

NM- 41,000

Too lazy to lug out old Guide and calculator... :tonofbricks:

FN 3,750 19%

VF 12,500 16%

NM- 41,000 10.8%

There you go. I had mine handy. (thumbs u

FN 3,750 19%

VF 12,500 16%

NM- 41,000 10.8%

There you go. I had mine handy. (thumbs u

thanks guys.

JIM 83 +20%

TOS 39 +19%

ASM 1 +18%

X-Men 1 +15%

Albedo 2 +22%

Action 1 +13%

Detective 31 +13%

Archie 1 +24%

Pep 22 +20%

Suspense 3 +20%

Batman 1 +12%

Detective 35 +12%

All-American 16 +11%

Did the AF 15 prices move + 100%? :whistle:

Didnt have chance to pick mine up yet as all the stores were closed when I got out of work. Can anyone tell me if they assigned TMNT 1 a price this year instead of saying the "price varies"

ALso if somenone can tell me the 9.2 prices on Daredevil 6 and 8. Much appreciated.

Of course I'm also seeing random moves that always make one wonder about the methodology too.

Darts and note-cards. There really can be no other explanation.

Along those lines, why in the world do the first two 12-cent Joker stories (Batman 145 and 148) go down $1 in GD while the next two (159 and 163) go up $1 in GD? That makes no sense.

Otherwise, just about every 10-cent Batman went up a bit with nice increases on 1950s keys like first Bat-Hound and first Batwoman in title. The 92 was up almost 20%.

Comic Cavalcade, full of golden age GL, Flash, and Wonder Woman stories, reduced across the board? Neal Adam's covers Detectives reduced in mid and low grades, increased in HG. Heck, a ton of stuff reduced in mid and low grades even if the HG stuff increased.

I'm not happy about a lot of the price corrections I see in the book, and I think they show a misunderstanding of the market in some ways. There are fundamental differences in psychology between HG buyers/investors and readers/collectors of mid and lower grade books. Most readers/collectors will want a discount off the guide price no matter what the guide says!

If a book is worth $20 according to the guide, they'll want to pay $10-15.

If the guide price is then lowered to $15, they'll expect to pay $8-12.

So the guide lowers the value to $12, and now they will expect to pay $6-9.

This isn't because the issue is becoming less and less valuable in the collectors' eyes! It's because at cons, stores, etc, buyers want to feel like they are getting a bargain, a good deal! At the Wondercon, I hardly looked at any dealer's booth unless it was marked with at least 30% off, and spent by far the most time and money at dealers who marked stuff at 50% off. And then, if I had a large enough pile of books, I haggled the price down a few more bucks.

If in this issue of Overstreet the prices on the books I'm interested in went up, next year I'd expect to pay 50% of the new, higher price. But instead, because those discounted sales were recorded as selling "below guide value", the guide will probably be lowered/the spread increased yet again!

And dealers have to follow along because too many books marked significantly over Guide price before the discount looks like a cheap scam, where someone increases the price 50% in order to offer you a 50% discount.

On the other hand, if they eliminate or reduce their advertised discounts ("50% off all books!"), buyers will no longer be as willing to buy even if the price is little different than they would have paid a few years ago before the spread increases and price reductions! Again, not because they want the book less, but because they want a "good deal" and a nice discount.

This psychology is very different from the HG buyers with deep pockets who routinely pay multiples of guide without blinking an eye. Many of them hardly even look at guide price anymore, instead looking at previous sales, etc. Ironically, this willingness to ignore the guide and not evaluate how good a deal they got by what percentage below Guide they paid is one reason why HG prices continue to climb and the spread increases!

I just want to know the prices on two books. action 1, tec 27?

Action Comics #1 9.2 675,00

Detective Comics #27 9.2 525,000

In your dreams!

I wonder if they'd just be better off listing most recent sales figures for books like this.

For instance, "In 2005 a copy of Action #1 listed as VG sold at auction for $XXX,XXX, and in 2007 a copy reported as Fine sold for $XXX,XXX."

(shrug)

What's the price on the Iron Man #55?

13 / 26 / 39 / 93 / 164 /235

I should receive my 3rd copy of IM55 today and these prices are lower than actual selling prices (for properly graded copies). Is that a change from last year's guide? (I didn't buy that issue.)

In your dreams!

I wonder if they'd just be better off listing most recent sales figures for books like this.

For instance, "In 2005 a copy of Action #1 listed as VG sold at auction for $XXX,XXX, and in 2007 a copy reported as Fine sold for $XXX,XXX."

(shrug)

Guess it all depends on what they consider is being "better off." If their goal is to get the information correct, then yes, that would make them better off than what they're doing now.

But it's clear they are not about getting the information correct, at least not in all cases. Especially with the books their advertisers (and I am one) know they can easily sell for above guide.

The intro to the market report contained an inadequate defense of this, by quoting the high multipled guide sale of a pedigree captain marvel book which later sold for less. It was suggested that it would be wrong to report the change the price to reflect the high sale and then have to reflect the low sale.

Well, as a person who would never in his life have gone after that book I would say have no problem seeing the price spike and then drop. I have never dabbled in things that my gut told me were hyped and had little if any relevance culturally. So I would expect things like that to boom as the result of well-orchestrated hype and then come back down when people looked at it more sensibly,

Just to be clear, here, this example was used just like the often quoted example of Mystery Men 1 being raised and then having trouble meeting the numbers. Yet again what we're talking about is an obscure high grade book featuring a nearly forgotten character and priced at absurd multiples of guide just because it was once owned by a particular person -- who, incidentally, is also virtually unknown outside the collecting community.

It is just not sensible to use those extreme examples as justification for willfully getting it wrong on rare books featuring the first and early appearances of characters who are household names throughout the world. Not sensible if your goal is to get it as right as you can. If you know the market, you know it has been driven from the get-go by the desire to have early issues of world-renowned characters. No amount of pretending and insisting will make it different, at least not in the long-term.

I can understand the desire to wish people would buy other books when it's other books that are piled high in your inventory. And I can understand the desire to want people to focus on top condition new books when you know there will always be a steady supply, thanks to the printing press. You may see the people at the likes of the Franklin mint trying to hawk their wares by putting out disinformation about how much their limited-edition spider-man knife might increase in value. But you don't see them trying to create disinformation that a spider-man 1 will never show the same rate of increase. Some in the comics industry have been crossing that line and twisting logic into shreds to justify it because there's short-term money to be had. (and the day of reckoning has gone beyond the original five-year predictions because of the quality of the superhero movies, not because new investors were entranced by the sharp corners and the lack of resto in that copy of Jo-Jo #7). The disinfo out there would love to have you think otherwise, but it's the guide's job to work against disinfo, not enable it.

In your dreams!

I think you've nailed the solution. The guide could be accurate on the super-key GA books if it would be renamed the Overstreet Dream Price Guide