• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate ebay

37 posts in this topic

Gotta love these unbelievable . I was selling a pair of TOY CAP GUNS and they pulled the acution because it violated their FIREARMS rules. What? I clearly said these were toy cap guns, identified them as such, and had PICTURES that showed them with the fake sides of the bullet chambers that slide open vertically (uh, real guns don't work that way).

But they pulled the auction anyway. Unreal. I can't believe that brain-dead numbskulls like this run the world's most profitable auction site.

doh!

Gotta love these unbelievable . I was selling a pair of TOY CAP GUNS and they pulled the acution because it violated their FIREARMS rules. What? I clearly said these were toy cap guns, identified them as such, and had PICTURES that showed them with the fake sides of the bullet chambers that slide open vertically (uh, real guns don't work that way).

But they pulled the auction anyway. Unreal. I can't believe that brain-dead numbskulls like this run the world's most profitable auction site.

doh!

Yeah, this is a drag; but playing devil's advocate here - Ebay may be thinking

if this toy gun were used in a hold-up (toy guns have been used for that purpose),

or a child was playing outside and someone called the police, and the child pointed the gun at the officer,

and the officer only had a split second to act, and shot the child, etc..

Ebay could and would be held responsible if it were traced back to them.

Just a thought here.

doh!

if this toy gun were used in a hold-up (toy guns have been used for that purpose),

or a child was playing outside and someone called the police, and the child pointed the gun at the officer,

Just a thought here.

ebay has hundreds of semirealistic looking airsoft handguns listed

doh!

Just a thought here.

He's got a point.

doh!

Just a thought here.

Well then.....that's, a.....a.... :frustrated:

Ebay is pulling some *spoon* They also pulled all charity auctions for Comics2Games

because they thought they were shilling their own auctions. People at the charity event were

sharing the same computer, while using their individual accounts. The same IP address got them booted off.

This is not exactly the same as this thread, but it is :frustrated:

yikes I hope nothing bad happens to me a friend in the us lets me use his account to bid on stuff that won't ship here then I pay him & he ships to me! & yes ebay is lame I report lots of stuff all the time that goes on there rules but nothing EVER gets pulled! maybe I should just go direct and ask marvel why I have not got that illegal cd full of comics that I brought off ebay yet? :D

yikes I hope nothing bad happens to me a friend in the us lets me use his account to bid on stuff that won't ship here then I pay him & he ships to me! & yes ebay is lame I report lots of stuff all the time that goes on there rules but nothing EVER gets pulled! maybe I should just go direct and ask marvel why I have not got that illegal cd full of comics that I brought off ebay yet? :D

What you are doing is fine. You will have a problem if you bid on any of this friend's auctions even when using your own account.

Didn't you see that Alfred Hitchcock scene where a kid took his dad's gun thinking it was a toy and loaded one chamber with a bullet and started pointing and shooting at people?

Guns are dangerous. Toys or not. Geez. You should be thanking eBay, they probably saved a life or two. :baiting:

And while we're at it, can all of the network television programs remove all programming programs that contain violence and guns? lol

This reminds me of the banning of candy cigarettes. I'd probably have cancer now; thank goodness someone came to their senses and helped me make a positive life changing decision.

Here's the Prohibited Items ruling page, scroll down and click on Show examples...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Yes, it was a toy gun, and we all know cap guns can't do harm (can they?) but it has AFAIK, always been prohibited.

And, yes, there are all sorts of auctions that violate their rules that should be pulled. Sometimes eBay polices on its own; sometimes other folks turn you in.

Larry

Here's the Prohibited Items ruling page, scroll down and click on Show examples...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Yes, it was a toy gun, and we all know cap guns can't do harm (can they?) but it has AFAIK, always been prohibited.

And, yes, there are all sorts of auctions that violate their rules that should be pulled. Sometimes eBay polices on its own; sometimes other folks turn you in.

Larry

From the link:

Permitted

Replicas, paintball guns, "air soft" guns, toy guns, cap guns and "look-alike" firearms under certain circumstances. These items:

1. Must have clear markings permanently affixed to them (commonly blaze orange markings on the barrel or a blaze orange plug inserted into the barrel)

2. Must not be readily convertible to shoot a lethal projectile

3. Note: Most states require that purchasers of air soft guns be 18 years of age or older.

This reminds me of the banning of candy cigarettes. I'd probably have cancer now; thank goodness someone came to their senses and helped me make a positive life changing decision.

I was given a pack of Big League Chew for halloween. :banana:

Cancer here I come! :P

Man I loved those as a kid.

Withdrawl was a biotch though, when they took them off the market.

Then my pen chewing habit took over.

Been in inkanon for over a decade. Had a 3 pen a week habit.

If only they'd left me with my candy cigs...

Why would you hate on eBay for rules that they set for their own website...if you don't like the rules use a differant venue... :screwy:

:screwy:??? Gee thanks ArAich for the thoughtful response. (shrug)

The problem is that how is someone supposed to know the rules? If you've never sold a cap gun on ebay then how do you know they have such rules? It's not in the listing process that I could see when I listed it.

My beef is therefore with the following:

1. They pulled the auction with no warning whatsoever. They didn't send me a warning telling me I had violated some rule, or say "change this or we'll pull the auction" and give me a chance to right whatever wrong had been made. That would have been nice.

2. They sent me a form letter that did not tell me what I did wrong and why they pulled the auction. These are clearly toy cap guns, and my title and description noted that they were cap guns. And they were listed in the toys section. So I am left to I guess at what I did wrong. Perhaps it's because I don't have an orange cork in the barrel? Or maybe something else? I guess so now that they sent the policy AFTER they pulled the auction. But I'm still left to guess rather than know for sure.

3. This is the first time I've ever tried to sell a capgun. When I listed this there was no indication from ebay that there were any such rules about selling toy guns or cap guns otherwise I'd have been happy to do whatever it is they want me to do to make this a non-violating auction.

I have no problem following their rules but they could be a little more forthcoming about them and maybe give someone a chance to fix a violation before pulling the auction, and be a little more specific about what's wrong.