• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,486 posts in this topic

2. is Barbara Stanwyk

3. looks like Donovan.

I'm sure Ted's kidding about 7.

3. looks like Dylan to me

Judging from the fact that many of the pics' names contain the initials of the people pictured ("lt" for Liz Taylor, "bs" for Barbara Stanwyck, etc.), should we conclude that it's someone whose initials are "A.R."? hm

ar70s.jpg

Whoever that is is reading an Italian comic, Capitain America #66, if that's a clue for someone.

Although I don't think it is Dylan, it could pass for him in 1965-1966. Did his European tour back then hit Italy? :think:

Although I don't think it is Dylan, it could pass for him in 1965-1966. Did his European tour back then hit Italy? :think:

He didn't play Italy in his world tour of 1966, but it wouldn't matter if he did because the comic wasn't published until 1973.

So the question for us is who had that look in the mid 70's?

He didn't play Italy in his world tour of 1966, but it wouldn't matter if he did because the comic wasn't published until 1973.

So the question for us is who had that look in the mid 70's?

:doh: Whoops. Chronology has a way of establishing facts. :lol:

ar70s.jpg

Whoever that is is reading an Italian comic, Capitain America #66, if that's a clue for someone.

"Well, the comic book and me, just us, we caught the bus...."

ar70s.jpg

"Well, the comic book and me, just us, we caught the bus...."

:lol: Indeed. Glad those Basement Tapes made it out of the basement.

Edited by cloudofwit

identifications in spoilers below :grin:

lt40s.jpg

ds49.jpg

ar70s.jpg

jl47.jpg

hb.jpg

jjdetroit68.jpg

wc60s.jpg

js66.jpg

stooges71.jpg

lh.jpg

plk70s.jpg

kd55.jpg

bewitched.jpg

here's the answers and only a couple of pictures posed some difficulty.

1. liz taylor in beverly hills 1940s

2. dean stockwell & ellen drew on the hollywood set of "stars in my crown"

reading bugs bunny fc 233 7/2/49

3. i know it's not a very good photo but i'm surprised at some of the guesses. after some of the guesses, i wonder if anyone guessed lou reed? it's really audrey hepburn & her son roman reading an italian capitan america 66 probably in italy 1973.

bfastattiff.jpg

4. joe louis reading mighty mouse 8 in 1947

5. humphrey bogart reading blue circle 3

6. janis joplin and drummer dave getz

on flight to detroit in 1968

7.adam west & yvonne craig looking at detective 359

8.davy jones & mike nesmith 1966

world's finest 160, green lantern 47

9. this was a 1975 publicity shot for what would have been the last stooges lineup for the movie "blazing stewardesses". joe derita, moe howard, emil sitka are reading stooges 7, 14, 6. sitka appeared in previous stooges films and was replacing larry fine. a short time after this shot, howard fell ill and died and the stooges were replaced by the ritz brothers in the film.

10. laurel & hardy reading spy smasher 7

11. linda & paul macartney meeting jack kirby

12. kirk douglas & sons joel, michael in 1955

13. elizabeth montgomery reading bewitched 2 in 1965

back in the old days, elected officials had simpler ways to spend their free time like reading comics and eating peanut butter & crackers. :grin:

pictured are senators graham wright (L) and albert patterson ® in montgomery alabama 1947. what comics are they reading?

patterson was murdered by organized crime in 1954 after he was nominated as the democratic candidate for attorney general on an anti-organized crime and anti-corruption platform. patterson's son, john malcolm patterson, assumed the attorney general nomination, won the election and took office in 1955.

montgomeryal.jpg

this comic was influential in getting john patterson elected governor of alabama in 1958.

patterson.jpg

malcolm ater, who had drawn a comic for harry truman for his 1948 campaign, thought patterson had exciting events in his life for a similar book. he drew a comic highlighting patterson's life and 200,000 copies were distributed a few weeks before the may ballot. the comic was very popular and voters kept it around the house.

here is patterson meeting kids and handing out his comic in 1958.

johnpattersonAla58.jpg

members of congress had some interesting reading material aside from the usual congressional reports. here's what was on a congressional library cart in july 1941.

recognize any of the reading material? :D

they would probably have less free time by the end of 1941...

congressionallibrary7-41.jpg

true comics 64 & capt marvel jr 54

on the cart:

pulps: planet stories v1#6, a racy crime detective, exciting love #1

comics: fantastic 19, superman 11 & 12

how about another quiz on celebrities reading newspaper comics? hm

identify the celebrities and the newspaper strips (if possible).

16144663-ce3.jpg

16144665-360.jpg

16109441-cea.jpg

16144660-aa3.jpg

16144662-1ec.jpg

16144631-c5e.jpg

16149743-5dc.jpg

16144667-f1a.jpg

what do the men in 7 & 8 have in common?

i'll post the answers in a few days. :grin: