• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,499 posts in this topic

I just picked up these two autographed pictures. They came from the estate of an elderly genleman.

1) Superman - Kirk Alyn Signed Photograph holding early Superman Comic.

Original signed 8X10 B&W photograph in clean undamaged

condition. Original, not Pre-Printed signature.

KGrHqJk4E67PMiMgvBOyYCvlr60_3.jpg

2) Batman - Adam West and Burt Ward Signed Photo 1966 TV show.

Original signed 8X10 B&W photograph in clean undamaged

condition. Original, not Pre-Printed signatures.

KGrHqNnsE63V3W3REBOyYgFJYw60_12.jpg

I am not sure of a value of these, but they sure are neat.

Dwight

dwightfu@yahoo.com

Edited by detective35DF

answers to quiz below.

bangzoom got most of the correct answers and kudos to all the other participants. :applause:

identify the comics in these set of pictures. you might have to zoom in to find the comics.

1. cigar stand at the tampa terrace hotel in florida, march 10 1947

16166312-c4e.jpg

here's a closeup view of the comic rack.

16166322-ddc.jpg

2. in this nyc stand (nov 19 1935) that has been posted before, there is one comic.

16166307-cef.jpg

3. union newsstand madison wisconsin may 6 1939.

16166311-7d6.jpg

identify the comic the kids are reading.

4. july 1 1952

16176947-c66.JPG

5. emanuel county georgia 1941

16176948-209.jpg

identify the comics and the people in the pictures. all these people are involved

in the comics business.

16176955-cc3.jpg

16194592-a3f.jpg

16176945-bfb.jpg

16176952-2dc.jpg

16176957-8c1.jpg

16176953-bf5.jpg

16166314-36e.jpg

comic quiz answers

1. tampa ter hotel 3-10-47.jpg

tampa terrace hotel 3-10-47 new funnies 122

2. nyc 11-19-35.jpg

nyc 11-19-35 mickey mouse magazine #3

3. un madison wi 5-6-39.jpg

union news stand madison wisconsin 5-6-39

closeup view

16266178-fd0.jpg

jumbo 8, tip top

4. boys reading 52.JPG

WDCS 140 7-1-52

5. em cty ga 1941.jpg

jungle 16, emanuel county georgia 1941

6. sc helmets.jpg

milton caniff cartoonist for terry & the pirates and steve canyon

fc641 1958

7. reading nancy.jpg

ernie bushmiller creator of the comic strip nancy

nancy 152, nancy & sluggo traveltime

8. adv reader.jpg

harvey pekar underground comic writer & music critic best known for american splendor, adventure 91

9. new fun.jpg

walter lantz animator, producer & director. best known for creating

woody woodpecker. new funnies 111

10. ww chair.jpg

alice marble, wonder woman 1

a tennis champion who won singles & doubles titles at wimbledon in the 1930s.

after retirement she was on the editorial advisory board of dc comics and was

associate editor on wonder woman. she created the "wonder woman of history" feature" for the comics.

11. op 1944.jpg

ruth hermann, capt aero 14 1944

publisher, editor, writer, penciller, inker for orbit publications

also worked for holyhoke & continental

12. aa 1943.jpg

mlj comics 1943

maurice coyne, louis silberkleit & john goldwater publishers of MLJ comics (Archie)

some pictures from tacoma washington.

this tacoma picture (8-24-46) has been shown before and you get "your best book buy" for 13 cents for ten cent comics! :insane:

16243778-279.jpg

a magazine rack at a payless drugstore (4-4-46). looks like some comics on another rack on the right.

16266411-ed8.jpg

an early magazine rack pic taken on 2-17-38 at 3:22 pm.

16266417-99a.jpg

rack full of pulps & comics taken on 2-17-38 at 3:10 pm. what comics do you see? hm

imagine if this picture was taken a few months later, we might have seen an action 1!! :grin:

16266413-ad3.jpg

for you pulp fans, this pic was taken exactly 80 years ago today (11-26-31) in toronto canada! :grin:

16243781-fbd.jpg

I haven't been around here in a while. Jpexex1978 , you've been on an excellent hunt.

Keep up the good work.

Maybe BANGZOOM, you have a copy of the MAY 1937 Spicy Mystery Stories on the rack above ? (or any of the other covers ?)

that would be cool to see.

Edited by ajaxfarrell

Here is the only picture I could find of that cover (Spicy Mystery Stories May 1937) Apparently it has an EEL story.

"Cavern of the Damned" (in Spicy Mystery Stories, May 1937)

I'm not a Pulp Guy, so I know nothing about the Eel, but he does have a Wikipedia page RIGHT HERE.

spicy_mystery_stories_193705.jpg

Edited by ajaxfarrell

[font:Arial][font:Arial Black]I might be completely off the mark, but that Archie paiting sure looks like it was done in the same style that HJ Ward did the Superman painting for DC comics which now hangs on the wall in a library of a small University in NY.

Dwight[/font][/font]

Edited by detective35DF

[font:Arial][font:Arial Black]I might be completely off the mark, but that Archie paiting sure looks like it was done in the same style that HJ Ward did the Superman painting for DC comics which now hangs on the wall in a library of a small University in NY.

Dwight[/font][/font]

the style of the archie & superman paintings do look similar.

16298739-e03.jpg

this painting is now at lehman college in the bronx new york.

you can read about the story of the painting here.

Dwight[/font][/font]

I thought exactly the same, Dwight, and was hoping someone could confirm.

Dwight[/font][/font]

I thought exactly the same, Dwight, and was hoping someone could confirm.

These guys all hung out together and you could certainly see them at the golf course bragging about the painting of their iconic character. "Who painted it?" would be a natural question and one that would lead to the next commission.

I believe it was a golf game that Martin Goodman had with DC brass that led to the Fantastic Four book when the DC gang was bragging about sales on JLAl

Gary,

I emailed David Saunders (son of Norman Saunders) and the author of the outstanding book on HJ Ward, and he had this information for me.

Dwight,

"Please do not bet your house on it being created by H J Ward.

Unlike most other illustrators, in the case of H. J. Ward, he happened to keep a completely accurate business log of ALL professional work. This incredible historic document is still in the possession of his family estate. I carefully scanned every page of it and I have assembled a complete inventory checklist of all publications by H. J. Ward. During that process I was reminded time-and-time-again that H. J. Ward's business log was NEVER wrong! It was totally accurate and faithful.

The existence of this incredibly-aacurate document means that we can safely say, "If something is not in his business log book then he did not create it." In the case of this Archie Andrews painting we can safely say there is no such entry in H J Ward's business log book, therefore this was not painted by H. J. Ward.

Such a conclusive statement can only be made because of the infallible nature of H. J. Ward's business log book."

David

Gary,

I emailed David Saunders (son of Norman Saunders) and the author of the outstanding book on HJ Ward, and he had this information for me.

Dwight,

"Please do not bet your house on it being created by H J Ward.

Unlike most other illustrators, in the case of H. J. Ward, he happened to keep a completely accurate business log of ALL professional work. This incredible historic document is still in the possession of his family estate. I carefully scanned every page of it and I have assembled a complete inventory checklist of all publications by H. J. Ward. During that process I was reminded time-and-time-again that H. J. Ward's business log was NEVER wrong! It was totally accurate and faithful.

The existence of this incredibly-aacurate document means that we can safely say, "If something is not in his business log book then he did not create it." In the case of this Archie Andrews painting we can safely say there is no such entry in H J Ward's business log book, therefore this was not painted by H. J. Ward.

Such a conclusive statement can only be made because of the infallible nature of H. J. Ward's business log book."

David

Thanks, Dwight. Fascinating information.

Edited by Moondog

some identifications for the 2-17-38 tacoma rack shown earlier.

16266413-ad3.jpg

a closeup shot with ids.

16470412-5ad.jpg

1- more fun 29

2- ace comics 12

3- tip top 23

4- star comics 10

5- popular comics 26

6- the funnies 18

7- ?

8- king comics 23

9- feature funnies 6

10- detective 12

11- famous funnies 44

12- feature book 9 d i c k tracy

13- feature book 7 little orphan annie

14- feature book 8 secret agent X-9

Great work, jpepx78. I am firmly convinced at this point that if an Action #1 newsstand pic exists in the world, you are going to find it.

thanks. if only that tacoma 1938 picture was taken a few months later... hm

i hope everyone had a nice christmas.

these two photos will be part of a series of photos that we will be examining very closely for every detail and we will find quite a bit of information. one of these photos is the earliest color photo of someone reading a comic that i have found so far. the notes say these were taken at miami beach florida in 1942. from a combination of details from both photos, i believe i am able determine the date & time when these photos were taken. hm

this is a nice photo of a family at miami beach and notice how dressed up they are for the beach.

16464461-3c5.jpg

in this photo, the kids are reading comics! can you identify what the girl is reading? it's hard to see what the boy is reading, but i will make a guess later. :grin:

notice the pole on the beach. the pole will be used as a sundial and its shadow can help determine the date and time of the photo.

16464464-358.jpg

the information we need, elevation angle & azimuth angle can be approximated from the photo using this diagram.

16464454-b44.jpg

miami beach coordinates are latitude 25.81 degrees & longitude -80.13 degrees.

if we assume geographically, the horizon in the photo for miami beach is due east (90 deg from due north), the azimuth angle is about 170 degrees since the horizon tilt is about 10 degrees (180-10=170) and the pole shadow is parallel to the horizon. the elevation angle from the end of the shadow to the top of the pole is about 40 degrees.

with all these numbers, we enter these values in a sun path chart program and generate a plot here:

http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html

16464428-0d1.jpg

at the intersection of the red lines from the chart, i determine the second photo to be taken around 11 am on december 20 or 21 1941 (70 years ago), about a couple weeks after the pearl harbor attacks. i believe the family most likely visited the beach on the weekend since december 20 & 21, 1941 is a saturday & sunday.

this date is consistent with the publication date of the girl's comic. :)