• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one that got me hooked

7 posts in this topic

Back when I was a kid, I was a Marvel zombie. I read ‘em all. FF, Thor, Daredevil, Cap and especially Spidey. I was such a Spidey freak that I would pick up Amazing, Peter Parker, Team-up and Tales every month. I couldn’t get enough. But by the time I was 12, my enthusiasm was dying down. I felt the finale in Amazing 200 was stupid and despite the Roger Stern renaissance, I was thinking it was time to call it quits on comics. There was music, girls and the feeling of the coming independence to think about.

The one comic that swayed me was Daredevil 169. In the story entitled "Devils" my pre-teen mind understood, for the first time, that there was something going on here that I had never seen before. I couldn’t quite grasp Frank Miller’s subtext, but I knew something was up. I knew nothing of Film Noir, crime comics or the relevence of so many of Miller & Janson's subtle visual clues.

I begged my parents to let me subscribe –and they did. I remember thrill I had when my name was printed in 174 (for that silly contest), the rush I got when I read the end of Daredevil 180 and the absolute shock of 181 (still, in my opinion, the best single issue in the modern age). I followed Miller’s every step. The resurrection, Ronin, Born Again, Dark Knight, Year One, Sin City, Rusty, Hard Boiled and even DK2. cloud9.gif

Later, I discovered Alan Moore & Neil Gaiman. Both better wordsmiths than Miller, but neither could come up with better ideas or execution. That’s because they are not artists – and as much as a writer can explain a concept, it would be better if they did it themselves. Frank Miller has kept me interested in comics for 23 years and damn him – he’d better come out with something new soon, I need my fix!!

Any one else have a story of the one that got them hooked?

For me, it was the Brood Saga that started in Uncanny X-Men 154.

One of the first comics I consciously bought at the newsstand was UXM 163 and it blew me away...I have been buying UXM ever since.

Miller made a huge impact on me as well with the Wolverine mini-series (with the cover, at least, on #1), and Daredevil starting with #186...and I had no idea who he was at the time!

I vividly remember buying both of these at the newsstand. Although I didn't fully realize it at the time either, I had found something really special.

Around 1970, I read a coverles Adv Comic of Legion Super-heroes vs the Fatal 5. Was fascinated by how Karate Kid was able to use a double-karate chop to break out of a diamond crystal prison. Clean art by Curt Swan/ M Anderson.

I srtarted reading comics in the late 50's, first Disney stuff, then all the mainstream DC's. I didn't start saving my comics until the Marvel era circa FF #22(Mole Man), when FF#25 came out with the Hulk versus Thing I was completely hooked.

Uncanny X-Men #172-#173 - the best of the post-Byrne period. What was the tag line at the end of #172? Something like, "be here next month...for six dimes, better fun can't be had"? Oh, how right they were... cloud9.gif

Gene

That's a tough call. Especially since my collecting has been broken up over two distinct periods, 1985-92 and 2002-present.

Originally, the stories that hooked me the most were the old Lee/Kirby FF's (which used to be available at the LCS for $3-5 each for the later parts of the run). I was mezmorized by the Cosmic Stories. I loved Kirby's awesome space-scapes and sub-atomic land drawings. And Lee's writing was at it consistant best.

More recently, I'd have to say that it was Garth Ennis's "Preacher" that absolutely blew me away. I've told the story before, but here it goes....I walked back into the comic shop knowing that DK2 was coming out. After picking up the first two issues, I started to actually talk to the guys at my shop. I asked them for a few recommendations, and they always said "Preacher!". I didn't want to read a book about some religious guy, so I passed. Eventually, they wore me down and I picked up the first trade. I couldn't believe that this was allowed in comics. I was instantly hooked and started buying up every trade I could. I think I finished Preacher in a month. What can I say! I'm a full-fledged comic junkie again! Thank you Garth Ennis!!!!

Chris