• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 70s TV Show - Why'd you watch it?

Why'd you watch the Incredible Hulk TV Show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Why'd you watch the Incredible Hulk TV Show

22 posts in this topic

I remember feeling disappointed...I was in my mid-teens, so a souped up soap opera which features the occasional appearance of a bloke in green paint picking things up in slow motion and then throwing them down again wasn't going to cut it. Nor was Bill Bixby's likeable persona and decent acting, or the sad music at the end.

The shows biggest problem from looking at it strictly from a modern standpoint is that it followed an episodic story structure rather than a serial structure.

Many many shows do this and few survive unless they are being watched by senior citizens. Examples, Highway to Heaven, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, Touched By an Angel

Any show that comes out now that tries this episodic approach usually either fails or ends up changing the format. The TV show Angel is the last one I can really recall that had a complete change of format like this. Halfway through the first season (after 6 episodes) they went from the standard plot of discovering problem, dealing with problem, and solving problem to a serial type story structure where you had to keep watching from week to week to be able to follow it.

Not many non-age-specific shows do well with the episodic structure but one that comes to mind is Quantum Leap. I'm sure there are others but I'm drawing a blank.