• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 70s TV Show - Why'd you watch it?

Why'd you watch the Incredible Hulk TV Show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Why'd you watch the Incredible Hulk TV Show

22 posts in this topic

I just saw through this link off the Marvel site Link and it reminded me of when I used to watch that TV series. I guess since the movie is coming out in June they are reviving the TV show and marketting the DVD compilation.

The late 70s also saw Dr. Strange, Captain America and Spider-Man live action, but only Hulky stuck around for a while. I remember being 12 when it first came out and I thought, wow this is great - comics come to life. But the fact that they changed so many things from the original, starting from Bruce Banner's name (David?) and how he got his powers, it never completely fulfilled my expectations.

What was your take on it?

It was a great 70s show -- a take on THE FUGITIVE tv series -- with a twist.

Bill Bixby was the reason it was so good.

If I recall there were some TV movies made in 80s where The Hulk met Thor and Daredevil... those were really bad.

Bill

I remember that for the most part the hulk would show up on screen exactly two times, one roughly 20 minutes in and then again near the end of the show before Bill takes that lonely walk with sad music.

I also remember Dukes of Hazzard, Dallas, Love Boat, Three's Company and other shows at the time. Shows today are so serious by comparison.

Why'd you watch it?

Because I was 10.

Answering a crackless poll? (tsk)

I was 12 or 13 when it came on and initially highly enthused at the prospect, but even as a youngster found the show incredibly formulaic. That, coupled with the changes necessitated by transferring his comic exploits to the small pre-CG screen left me immensely uninterested. I’m not even sure if I made it through the entire first season.

Thor showed up? Must have missed that one...now I have to buy the darn DVD set. Maybe it's playing on YouTube somewhere...

I think it was a special (not the reg tv series) Thor looked real cheesy...

54930-PICTHORANDHULKTVMOVIEFORBLOG.jpg.3459ebf03d9e427b7a4ecece88091a60.jpg

I thought the show was well done (Bixby obviously drove it)....the Spider-Man (live action) show was weaker, BUT mostly because of the "weak" special effects (if you want to call them that). Surprisingly, I thought the Doctor Strange TV movie was really well done, and was kind of unhappy when they did not go ahead and make a series.

The show lasted for 5 seasons, and while I kept thinking to myself "Why is this so different from the comic book?", I kept watching and even taught myself to play the melancholy theme song on the piano. :(

Sure, it was corny, but few televisions series have the kind of combination the Incredible Hulk has as far as inner conflict. The human side, represented by David Banner, and the animal side represented by the Hulk, is a description of us human beings.

The search for the cure represents the issues we don't like in us, and we want to get rid of. The finale of each episode, with walking David away and the sad music, signifies the many attempts to get rid of the thing and the preparation and recovery of energy for the next attempt. The good deeds David does represents the good things we do on the side, without even noticing, while taking care of our problems. The reporter, Jack McGee represents the people that criticize us and judge us; they are good, they have good heart, and they don't mean to hurt us; they just think they are doing their job. The bad people are the people who do not wish us good and to which we show our bad side, even if we don't want it. The different cities represent the various circumstances we encounter while facing our problems.

(Ok, I copied this from the imdb website but it's pretty good! :insane:)

Wonder Woman started before the Hulk actually... but was cancelled midway through the Hulk's run. Spider-man almost ran during the same time period as well. There were actually a lot of comic book related shows on during that time period. (Not to mention reruns of Batman and Superman.)

Wonder Woman television movies 1974-1976

Wonder Woman series 1975-1979

The Six Million Dollar Man 1974-1978

Shazam! Tv series 1974-1977

The Secrets of Isis 1975-1977

The Bionic Woman 1976-1977

Spider-man TV series 1977-1979

Dr Strange 1978

Challenge of the Superfriends 1978-1979

Captain America TV movie 1979 (2 movies)

Two Incredible Hulk movies 1977

Incredible Hulk TV Series 1978-1982

Plus others I can't remember...

Out of those, the Six Million Dollar Man was my favorite.

But, I watched the Hulk. Anybody remember the opening narration:

Dr. David Banner: physician; scientist. Searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation alters his body chemistry. And now when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs. The creature is driven by rage and pursued by an investigative reporter. (Bixby: "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."--a clip from the first pilot) The creature is wanted for a murder he didn't commit. David Banner is believed to be dead, and he must let the world think that he is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.

I loved this show and it was the reason I started collecting Hulk stuff. It came at a great time for me because I was 7 years old and pretty nieve to special effects and make-up. If I was 12 or 13, I probably wouldn't have cared. You have to realize this was on a Friday night at 8. It wasn't a Saturday morning show like Shazam so they had to make it a little more adult. It's the main reason why there were no Hulk villians. If you look at the remake movies which had Thor and Daredevil in them, they were so lame, the show would've lasted maybe six episodes. The DVDs are really nice and I have to admit funny. I just laugh about the special effects (you can see green paint on anyone Lou carries, you can see the green slippers, obvious stuntmen, etc.) it just makes me laugh now but as a kid, it was the greatest. I finally met Lou Ferrigno when about 6 years ago and told him how much I wanted to meet him since I was 7, he was very thankful and then charged me 20 bucks for an autograph. I wish Bill Bixby were still alive. The season premiere DVD is pretty good because it has Directer Kenneth Johnson's commentary about the show and he really has some interesting stuff about the cast and working with Lou and Bill.

I was asked after the Ang Lee movie about why it wasn't like the TV show and I think its why the upcoming film as the the TV show theme and certain homages to it. Because the general audience (now in their 30s and 40s remember the show and not the comic book)

I was 21 when the show first aired and spent most of my nights out getting high and/or trying to get laid. When I was home it was pretty funny to watch while I was stoned. It was cool to see Marvel Comics finally represented on TV, though.