• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stitching Software for Mag size slabs

4 posts in this topic

OK, so I'm wasting time downloading and evaluating software to "stitch" together two images of mag slabs so it looks "whole".

I've currently evaluated PanaVue and Autostitch. Panavue does the job, but is slightly complicated and costs money. Autostitch, which appears free, is very easy to use but creates a "bow" of the image...no doubt b/c it is using spherical projection. It was also free, but the results are less than perfect (see below).

So, I beseech thee....what stitching software is the "easiest" to use in terms of steps involved and quality of the results of CGC mag slabs...and of course...cost.

54969-pano.jpg.b5e07054ece44f897691af39e176a9dc.jpg

That looks seemless. The only issue - as you mentioned - is the bowing effect.

If you listed this issue (love that GORGO cover, by the way) for sale or auction, you would probably get questions if the slab was warped - and then you would have to explain that the image was stitched together... Then someone would raise the issue that it was a "photoshopped" image..yadda yadda.

There are, however, ways in Photoshop to "straignten out" the image - but that could lead to other distortions.

If I were going to sell a large lot of slabbed magazines, I would invest in a larger scanner that could handle the job.

Bill

If I were going to sell a large lot of slabbed magazines, I would invest in a larger scanner that could handle the job.

Bill

Thanks...this is actually my first mag slab in my collection. :o

Not selling...although these scans would be used for that purpose. I don't have many slabs and don't see myself "investing" in more scanners. I'd be curious what size scanner would fit a mag slab b/c I haven't heard of any that could accomodate the dimensions.

In short, I need someone that has been down this road and can give me recommendations. If it is "go buy a scanner" fine, but I want to hear the scar tissue first.