• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How badly could this hurt the market?

78 posts in this topic

Considering that people still pay stupid money for this book what would a set like this suddenly do to the value if it were released onto the market?

Pic is from one of NeatStuff's auctions of course:

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

the real question is are the comics in near mint condition ?

:popcorn:

I bet they are all HG, uncirculated copies. :gossip:

i highly doubt they are graded that sharp. any sign of stress at all knocks the comic out of the NM/MT range. i go to tons of comic shows and you would be surprised at what people think is a near mint.

:)

Considering that people still pay stupid money for this book what would a set like this suddenly do to the value if it were released onto the market?

I collect covers. I have enjoyed them ever since childhood. I don't mind variants and still buy them to this day.

The book will continue to sell well until the market for it dries up. Once that happens, you won't be able to give away a copy.

It's supply and demand, just like everything else, but I wouldn't call 10,000 copies a rarity... unless 20,000 people were looking for them.

I collect covers. I have enjoyed them ever since childhood. I don't mind variants and still buy them to this day.

The book will continue to sell well until the market for it dries up. Once that happens, you won't be able to give away a copy.

It's supply and demand, just like everything else, but I wouldn't call 10,000 copies a rarity... unless 20,000 people were looking for them.

true but its very hard to find super clean comics that fall into the NM/MT range.

;)

true but its very hard to find super clean comics that fall into the NM/MT range.

;)

A 9.8 modern difficult to find? Surely you jest.

So has anyone learned anything from 19 years of this or are we still seeking variants and sketch covers and the like....

Nope. No-one has learnt anything from two decades of countless variants etc. that have brief yet intense market interest, before being replaced by whatever's next in fashion. Mind you, there's always the turnover of collectors every half decade or so, which keeps the game afloat.

;)

A 9.8 modern difficult to find? Surely you jest.

its not that easy to find nm/mt comics from about 10 years ago with no hint at stress at all pristine mint comics.

:)

Well, if Neatstuff did indeed buy out old Marvel overstock which they claim (which I still have no reason to doubt) then these books are most likely uncirculated and would garnish very high grades.

There's 100 of them in this picture not to mention the 2 dozen or so they have in their other drek auctions which leads me to believe that they probably have even more of these that they have yet to list in an auction.

About a month ago they had another auction with 10 of these in it. My guess is they probably have closer to 1000 of them.

1000 uncirculated platinum Spidey's.

I think we can officially call this sucker done.

As to the comment about eBay simply being an advertising outlet for them due to them wanting you to call about reserves. Well, I have done just that and was told that they normally get $7.00 a piece WHOLESALE for magazine lots. Whoevers paying $7.00 a piece for drekkie magazines better be holding onto them for about 200 years if they think they can turn a profit off of them.

I'm sure at some point Neatstuff will discover this thread and chime in and I'm really not ragging on them as I have tried to do business with them a few times and have always encountered unreasonably high reserves especially once you factor in shipping such large lots. Most of the lots it would take 10 years to even recoup your money nevermind the money spent on setting up at shows or listing on eBay.

I understand that Neatstuff is in this to make money just like the next guy but really my point of this thread is this kind of warehouse finding of this type of book that has a perceived high value really can demolish a books value.

There are already 177 of these graded 9.4 or higher with the last GPA sale of a 9.8 (in December) being $1136 which is about $350 HIGHER than the overall average.

That's crazy money IMO for such a book

I feel really sorry for the schleb that owns the one graded 5.5 on the census!

I just don't see this book holding even half of it's value when you've got warehouse finds of even a few hundred turning up like this. We are talking 1990 here and not 1950.

its not that easy to find nm/mt comics from about 10 years ago with no hint at stress at all pristine mint comics.

Uh, yes it is.

just my opinion, but i have seen the sellers who claim they have pristine comics untouched from dealers overstock for years & years and these comics come from the late 80's and early 90's and mostly all the time the comics are in 9.0 - 9.2 range. and i purchase collections all the time from different years.

fun chat

hm

Maybe it's all relative. I would guess that if you wanted to find a CGC 9.8 copy of just about any comic from the last 10 years, it wouldn't be all that hard to find.

Well, that's partly true. I am sure that there are tons of 9.8s out there, but they aren't readily submitted. Also, for a few select issues, Wolverine v2 #35, for example, are very difficult in 9.8 due to a production defect.

I am sure that there are tons of 9.8s out there, but they aren't readily submitted.

That's a different issue. The books exist, but it's not economically justifiable to submit them to CGC because the sale price might very well be less than the slabbing fees. It only becomes worthwhile if you think there's a decent shot at getting a 9.9 or 10.0.

And the reason the sale price for a 9.8 might be less than the slabbing fees? Because everyone knows there's a ton of 'em out there.

I am sure that there are tons of 9.8s out there, but they aren't readily submitted.

That's a different issue. The books exist, but it's not economically justifiable to submit them to CGC because the sale price might very well be less than the slabbing fees. It only becomes worthwhile if you think there's a decent shot at getting a 9.9 or 10.0.

And the reason the sale price for a 9.8 might be less than the slabbing fees? Because everyone knows there's a ton of 'em out there.

That's what I'm seeing with Omega Men #3 9.8s.

Spider-Man #1 - Coverdate - Aug 1990

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight - Coverdate - September 1992

Jim, not sure where you`re getting the date of LODK from. #1, which had the variant covers, had a date of Nov 89. It definitely came out on the last legs of Bat-mania.

I was just about to post the same thing. I always say that LODK #1 is the soft beginning of the Gimick (SP?) Age.

Nah, I remember when those came out - it wasn't even close to what happened with Spider-man #1.

I think the Platinum Retailer Variant was the real lynch pin, rather than the different covers alone, as the store was proudly displaying it, and the place was a virtual circus. People were asking to buy the Platinum book, at ever higher prices, and those same suckers were walking out the door with stacks/cases of Spider-man 1.

When LOTDK came out, it was business as usual, with a few complaining about the different covers. Totally different atmosphere.