• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How badly could this hurt the market?

78 posts in this topic

Considering that people still pay stupid money for this book what would a set like this suddenly do to the value if it were released onto the market?

Pic is from one of NeatStuff's auctions of course:

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

I am always amazed at people paying crazy money for these "rare" books that are actually harder to find in low grade than high grade.

That the Platinum edition of that book? I always assumed that was a limited retailer "thank you" gift from Marvel for shifting so many copies of Spidey 1.

Not that limited apparently. Yep, this find'll affect the value of the book, at least by a modest margin. Most of these copies (as people know) arrived at stores slightly damaged due to the thick card stock of the cover splitting in transit due to being mailed without adequate protection.

These presumably are NM...

I don't remember what the original number was suppose to be. I think it was 10,000. Here's what I'm thinking on this book. Are there even 10,000 people that either own or want this book? I mean seriously. Lots of the pre-crash drek that was suppose to be limited this or special that had print runs "limited to" 10,000. How come none of that stuff is worth anything yet this book is? hm

Also, considering this book has almost a card stock type cover it would seem that most of the ones available are high grade. Honestly, has anyone ever seen a low grade one?

Edit: I didn't realize there was a "splitting" problem with this book and don't know if that would be chocked up to being a production problem more than anything else.

I don't remember what the original number was suppose to be. I think it was 10,000. Here's what I'm thinking on this book. Are there even 10,000 people that either own or want this book? I mean seriously. Lots of the pre-crash drek that was suppose to be limited this or special that had print runs "limited to" 10,000. How come none of that stuff is worth anything yet this book is? hm

Also, considering this book has almost a card stock type cover it would seem that most of the one available are high grade. Honestly, has anyone ever seen a low grade one?

10,000 was indeed the figure quoted by Marvel, and it's mentioned in OS, too. That book was very hot back in the early '90s, and like the drek has since cooled considerably. However there was demand for it long after the novelty wore off...I'd say that the reason it's still worth anything is because it's a Spidey 1 that had perceived scarcity.

But with Ultimate Spider-Man and other books completely superceding it, such a lot may outstrip demand.

yeah, 10,000 is limited, but not all that rare and i'd hope people spending real money on that book would know it. seriously, only about 3-4X "rarer" than many/most marvels getting pumped out. and the series didn't even make it to 100 issues.

it's criminal how marvel jerked around the numbering on these series with stupid DCesque re-boots.

You have to wonder where a hoard like this comes from. The book came out after the worst of the distributor wars was over,and there were really only three distributors of any size that would have had access to a lot like these.Diamond,Capital City and Heroes World.

Neatstuff is claiming these were purchased directly from Marvel. I have no reason to doubt them.

What I do doubt is that once again this auction (and the several others that they have multiple platinum Spideys in) will ever meet reserve.

wasn't it pretty easy to pick these up really cheap I dunno $20-$25?) in the doldrums of the late 90s when spidey was down, the market was down, etc? Honestly, if you just focused on picking up a few of these at every show you went to from 99-00 it wouldn't be so hard if you went to a lot of shows. not saying that's how it was done, but it would have been simple.

Neatstuff puts huge reserve prices because the lots are not really being sold on ebay, just advertised. Sure, you COULD buy the lots if you trigger the outlandish reserve, but most likely you will call about a lot, and the price will be vastly less if you buy the lot off ebay through their own credit card processing.

Notice how many times in the ad Neatstuff asks you to call about the lot? Neatstuff is selling more bulk lots than anyone, both in pure weight, and in dollars, but it is almost all offline sales.

Hotflips is familiar with them I would think, being long term comic peeps from same area, maybe he will chime in?

Also, considering this book has almost a card stock type cover it would seem that most of the ones available are high grade. Honestly, has anyone ever seen a low grade one?

Edit: I didn't realize there was a "splitting" problem with this book and don't know if that would be chocked up to being a production problem more than anything else.

The so-called "splitting problem" should only make the remaining copies valuable if all but a few dozen were split and if it was not simply a B.S. variant on a book with TEN MILLION in print -- and if it were not a B.S. first issue in the first place.

In answer to your first question -- it hasn't seemed to afffect the value of this book that everybody who sought it knew all of the above. They knew there had to be enough copies out there to make a picture like this -- or a hundred pictures like this. And the cattle still bought them. So, I imagine if the reveal of these affected the market, it would only affect the market until the books were once again put back in some warehouse. out of sight, out of mind.

BTW, I once was in a trade in which a guy took one of these in trade for an "old" book he didn't want (and he wouldn't listen to any talk that it might be worth more)

The book he gave up for it was...

Pep 22.

The day I walked into my local comic shop and saw 4 different versions of the same comic proudly displayed on the store's greeting wall was the exact moment I quit collecting comics in 1990. Not only did I have to buy multiple titles of the same comic character if I wanted to have all their books,now I have to deal with variant covers of the same comic? Ridiculous.

I don't care how good the comic is, nor do I care who the artist is, or what it's perceived value is, you couldn't give me one for free...I will never own that comic.

Yes I am back into collecting but I still to this day despise that book and what it represents: pure greed by those who publish.

The good news is I don't own any "90's drek"

Artboy99