• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four 48

27 posts in this topic

I was thinking 6.0 because of the multiple stains, and they are of a noticible size. I would have gone lower but the staining doesn't seem that heavy. It is a shame because that has the appeal of a NM+ book. Maybe I am dropping the hammer too hard. What say the gurus?

I think the best description would be very imperceptible water droplet stains. There is a tiny one on the top edge of the back, a tiny one on the page edge near the "proof!" paragraph, one on the middle of the bottom edge, and one near the outer corner of the bottom edge. All of these are very light, you can barely see anything on the inside back cover, and only the last few pages of the book show the hint of a shadow on the bottom edge. The rest of the book is unaffected.

There is no rippling or wavyness...the book is completely flat and appears to have been unread.

I can't see this getting less that an 8.0 as the stains appear very minor/faint...but I could be wrong. If you don't have a really good LCS grader near by, and it appears you're not interested in sending it in to CGC, you may want to consider someone like Matt Nelson's Pro-screen service whereby he will check the book for restoration and give you a grade estimate...most people I've seen that have used him say they're very accurate when the books come back from CGC, usually a half-grade either way...

Otherwise :takeit::headbang:

It's a heck of a lot nicer than my copy, I'll say that! The moisture stains hurt what would otherwise be a HG book. I think the eye appeal should help it get a better price than its actual numerical grade would suggest. How much is the buyer offering for it?

Looks like a high grade book to me! If what looks to be very minor staining does not penetrate beyond the BC my thinking is that it could go 9.0+ I think this one is worthwhile to get graded to find out!

Granted, I'm new. But I have a question about something that stood out to me.

Compare the covers. Check the ULFC at the C & G of "Comics Group" in the logo. Then the URBC matching position showing the top staple.

It looks to me as if some rust or wear has penetrated the book from that top staple.

While I understand why the focus is on the BC stains, is that FC issue I see not also a flaw or factor in grading?

are you guys kidding this is at least a 9.0 book,scans pick up on minor imperfections and enhance them.I would bet that this book in hand is a beauty 9.0/9.2

The voice of experience speaking out here:

I have sent in MANY copies similar to this - the BEST copy I ever received w/ stains similar to this one:

F/VF 7.5 TOPS!!!

CAL doh!

Granted, I'm new. But I have a question about something that stood out to me.

Compare the covers. Check the ULFC at the C & G of "Comics Group" in the logo. Then the URBC matching position showing the top staple.

It looks to me as if some rust or wear has penetrated the book from that top staple.

While I understand why the focus is on the BC stains, is that FC issue I see not also a flaw or factor in grading?

IMHO, if you check out the top staple from the Back cover image, you'll see that it was inserted about a quarter inch off the edge directly into the BC.

as such, the folded ends of the staple are sitting in the middle of the book up against the entire front half of the book. the staples would have had to rust from the inside out and penetrated thru an entire half of the book.

i seriously doubt that slight discoloration is rust.

as to the grade, i'm afraid that the four distinct stains in different spots aren't going to be kind to the grade. I'd still hold out hope for an 8.0, but we'll never know if you sell it raw................