• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Advisor Doug Sulipas comments on Canadian Newsstand Variants

112 posts in this topic

Were buying them up, and I will destroy some.

Missing apostrophe aside, that is quite possibly the most self-centered, ridiculous thing I have ever seen uttered on this board, and this board is FILLED with ridiculous, self-centered commentary.

meh

Thanks to Wolverine94 for resurrecting this thread. I missed it first time around. I would like to hear more about why Doug Sulipa or anyone else for that matter, thinks the Canadian "variants" are worth more than the published in U.S.A. versions, because I have always thought the opposite to be true. I have several Avon/Realistic comics that were published in Canada when Canadian law so required, the publisher on some or all of them being listed as Superior comics rather than Avon or Realistic as I recall. Yes, most are beat up but a couple are nice. My recollection from years ago when I acquired them is that they were relatively cheap. Doug apparently thinks to the contrary but may have a vested interest as a Canadian in saying so. Is he talking about something other than the Canadian versions of books that the Canadian govt. wouldn't allow to be imported from the US years ago?

You're comparing apples and oranges.

You're talking about books from the 40's and 50's considered Canadian Editions.

The books from the 80's are Canadian Price Variants produced in the US and distributed for the Canadian Market via newsstand distribution, thus a much less print run right from publication.

Beginning in October 1982 and ran into the late 80's.

Far less were produced and far less remain in high grade due to distribution locations such as convenience stores and grocery stores where the general public "fanned" through them. Much more scarce in anything better than 9.0 and they do bring a premium. Easily sellable for 25% above guide and keys sell for 100 to 500% when truly high grade.

"Far less" is completely relative. X-Men had print runs well in excess of 500,000 for most of the years these were being produced, they only ran for less than four years at Marvel, and less than six years at DC (a few more for Archie), and the Canadian newsstand versions of ANY book extant are very unlikely to be less than 10,000 for ANY issue...are there 10,000 people who want them?

Since they encompass the entire newsstand output of major publishers, those looking for complete collections will be very, very few. It's too broad for most people, and too common as well.

No, when Canadian version sell in open auctions on eBay, they sell for $1-$3 each, except for keys.

Don't get me wrong: I love them, but I'm a variant fanatic, and always have been. Most collectors simply don't care.

I have a few Whitman 75c books, but only one ever came from a comic book shop.

The only luck I've ever had has been in used bookstores or antique shops, and conditions are usually VG or lower.

But this underlines the demand factor again... these are genuinely tough, tough books to find - but the market is also small, so prices tend not to be too high. At least for now... if they ever catch on the way the 8-12/80 pre-pack books did, then the sky's the limit.

As someone who has been buying Canadian newsstand variants/versions I've noticed that the demand/interest has been growing over the years. More and more dealers are starting to price them differently at shows and online sales (though I haven't researched the data) seem to make note of them. ( not sure if this translates into higher prices) I like them because that's how I bought my books as a kid, at the local Mac's store. The first one I ever bought/noticed was Wolverine #2. Quite the jump in price at the time. Still prefer them over the direct sales versions.

In the 80's I bought all my new releases from stores like Mac's and 711. I only went to the comic book store for back issues since it was further away and a weekend bike ride for me. There only use to be like 2-3 of each book on those stands in those variety stores and sometimes they didn't even have the book I was looking for and had to go to another store.

ok, not going to read the whole thread, but if "less common" is such a big deal, why not pence variants? those have been frowned upon for years and were printed in much lower numbers than the U.S. versions as well. is it because canadian versions are even rarer because chunks of canada were just getting the u.s. versions?

and, of course, a canadian dealer would be pushing these as he has the inside track on acquiring lots of them.

it's like if there were colorado hemp variants of comics, mile high chuck would be all over that

ok, not going to read the whole thread, but if "less common" is such a big deal, why not pence variants? those have been frowned upon for years and were printed in much lower numbers than the U.S. versions as well. is it because canadian versions are even rarer because chunks of canada were just getting the u.s. versions?

You basically asked the same question in this thread about seven years ago.

are these rare because in parts of canada it was the u.s. edition on the stand? did canadians buy more comics earlier from comic shops where they weren't using the newstand variant? i don't get it.

if the canadian variants are considered rare, why not pence copies? the U.K. has a bigger population, but I'd think that Canadians read U.S. comics on a much higher per capita basis (particularly given that like half the creative talent is canadian). it certainly seems to be the case based on the # of posters here where we have a disproportionate # of canadians (one would assume 1 canadian per 10 americans, but it seems like more than that)

are these rare because in parts of canada it was the u.s. edition on the stand? did canadians buy more comics earlier from comic shops where they weren't using the newstand variant? i don't get it.

if the canadian variants are considered rare, why not pence copies? the U.K. has a bigger population, but I'd think that Canadians read U.S. comics on a much higher per capita basis (particularly given that like half the creative talent is canadian). it certainly seems to be the case based on the # of posters here where we have a disproportionate # of canadians (one would assume 1 canadian per 10 americans, but it seems like more than that)

well, at least i am consistent. anyway, how the heck am i going to remember that? do you know how many brain cells have atrophied in my noggin since then?

Either that, or blob just invented time travel.