• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Giant-Size X-men 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks! I'm new to the board and have been enjoying looking through the posts of all these great old books. I'd like to get an opinion on my Giant-Size X-men 1. I know it's in poor shape and usually it wouldn't be worth slabbing, but it has sentimental value and I plan on keeping it and would like to get it slabbed.

To start off, the staples on this issue do not go through the cover, but the cover is attached- the interior pages are stapled together, with no staple holes on the cover. Is this the way these issues were produced?

Other issues - major chip bottom left front, water stain bottom right front, crease mid-right front, spine wear, foxing bottom front & back, chips and rough edges, spine crease, spine "flattened", cover indentions from staples, tan pages, etc.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

Never be anything, but proud of a comic that holds sentimental value!!

Any GSXM#1 IS A COOL BOOK TO OWN!!!!

As for slabbing thats up to you, would the nostalgia be less by not being able to open it and read it?

Slabbing would certainly help to protect it for the long term.

With the water stains my guess is 3.5. Presents well and looks better!! Welcome to the boards, we all look forward to seeing more of your treasures!!

To answer your question... yes the Stapling of the pages and the cover glued on after is common with the Giant Size Marvels, and the rippling of the spine that occurs in this process has been fodder for robust discussion on these boards.

the water stain on the front is probably the biggest issue with this copy. i tend to think a 3.5 would be about right. I probably would recommend against slabbing as putting this book in a nice mylar with a fullback board would make a nice presentation, preserve the book equally well and cost far less.

plus you could just open it up and read it whenever you want................. (thumbs u