• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Questions about Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, The X-Men

25 posts in this topic

For the fans of Spider-Man, The Hulk, Captain America, or The X-Men, I'd like to ask some questions. When you answer, please tell me to which character you're refering. Feel free to choose more than one, but separate them, so I can keep track. None of these questions refer to specific artists or writers, I'm talking about the character(s). Answer whichever you feel like, or answer them all. I'm especially interested in the first and third questions.

• 1. What draws you to that character?

2. What would you say is the driving force behind the character?

3. If you read the adventures as a child, did they teach you anything? Did they change how you looked at the world or yourself?

4. If someone who had never read comics asked you about the character, wanting the bare facts, how would you succinctly sum up the origin? Who are the close supporting characters?

5. What's your favorite story arc involving this character and why?

My thanks to anyone who answers. I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say. As you know, I've never read Marvel Comics, so in all but the most rudimentary ways, you will be talking to someone who doesn't know the answers to most of these questions. Get me excited about them, by telling me why you are so drawn to them.

-- Joanna

X-Men

1. I enjoy the "social outcasts" aspect of the team. Fighting for, but not accepted by society in general.

2. Equal rights for both humans and mutants.

3. Yea, I read X-Men as a kid and I know I'm more tolerant of other races, sexual orientations and religions as a result.

4. The X-Men are a team of people each with a genetic mutation that give them an eX-tra power or ability. They were brought together by a powerful mutant named Charles Xaviar in order to defend mankind from evil mutants.

5. It's hard to pick just one, but I'd have to say the "God Loves, Man Kills" graphic novel by Chris Claremont is my favorite X-Men story. I was 14 when I read it and it changed the way I looked at people that were different then me.

Excellent, OG! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. In fact, it helps me understand a little better why this is such a popular series. Thank you so much for answering all the questions, it's much appreciated.

-- Joanna

1. Batman b/c he is not super powered or a mutant.

2. Driving force (vigilante) justice.

3. Read as a child. Showed me that a human training hard can attain almost anything. Don't have to be hit by cosmic /gamma rays.

4. Ask them to review Batman movie #1. Origin was well introduced. Robin introduced later.

5. In Detective Comics, best 70s arc was w/ Manhunter Gotterdammerung. Batman appeared in the last chapter. Written by Len Wein?, art by some rookie named Walt Simonson. Holds up well today against 80s Claremont/Byrne Uncanny X-men. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1. Batman b/c he is not super powered or a mutant.

2. Driving force (vigilante) justice.

3. Read as a child. Showed me that a human training hard can attain almost anything. Don't have to be hit by cosmic /gamma rays.

4. Ask them to review Batman movie #1. Origin was well introduced. Robin introduced later.

5. In Detective Comics, best 70s arc was w/ Manhunter Gotterdammerung. Batman appeared in the last chapter. Written by Len Wein?, art by some rookie named Walt Simonson. Holds up well today against 80s Claremont/Byrne Uncanny X-men. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you, Odin. I think I need to reword my intro because I'm just asking about the characters in the title. I've read tons of Batman in my day, but I've never read anything about the characters I listed. I want to know why they're so beloved.

-- Joanna

5. In Detective Comics, best 70s arc was w/ Manhunter Gotterdammerung. Batman appeared in the last chapter. Written by Len Wein?,

The late, great Archie Goodwin.

Sorry... sign-offtopic.gif

The only one of those that I read with any consistency was Captain America.

1. What drew me to the character is a bit difficult to say. Normally, I prefer team books (Justice League, Fantastic Four, Avengers), but there was something about Captain America. Part of it is the "man out of time" aspect (since I often feel that way myself). Another part is that he's not afraid to get his hands dirty to do what is right. Also, that he was an everyman and hasn't forgotten it.

2. I think Captain America is also driven by a sense of justice, but that it is tempered by the belief that force isn't always the best way.

3. I started Cap at the beginning of the Secret Empire arc. I guess it got me thinking about questioning Authority and not just taking everything at face value.

4. Captain America was the product of a World War II experiment to make the perfect soldier. After fighting the good fight with his sidekick, Bucky Barnes, and several other superheroes, Cap was presumed lost. The Avengers recovered him many years later and he has since served as a leader of that group as well as on his own.

5. The Secret Empire arc and its aftermath is probably my favorite storyline (tho' the introduction to the 1950's cap early in Englehart's run has a lot of appeal as well) because it highlights Cap's unwavering loyalty to his principles at any cost.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

1. For Spidey i loved the can't catch a break, things always suck, but you pull through aspect & for x-men it was the outcasts who do right even though they are hated for it

2. For spidey is sense of responsibility, for X-men is about relationships between all people

3. For spidey, he tought me never to give up, to do your absolute best when its needed instead of buckling & for X-men it also taught me tolerence and acceptance

4. uhhhmmm i think i'lll skip this one due to time constraints.... crazy.gif

5. For X-men it is probably a bit long, but #150-213. I just can't break it down any more specific, for me, growing up, that was the grand story, also similarly with amazing spidey it was 229-289 as the important arc for me, i really read those as kid/teen so i wasn't paying attention to individual arcs or storylines really....

A= Captain America

B= Sub-Mariner

1. What draws you to that character?

A: His ability to defeat evil doers using only his strength, acrobatic skills and a shield.

B: His inherant super strength and his erattic behaviour.

A: Justice and desire to rid the world of evil.

B: To protect his society from surface dwellers.

3. If you read the adventures as a child, did they teach you anything? Did they change how you looked at the world or yourself?

A: He taught me to be moral and fight for what is right and that good does triumph over evil if you are persistant and cunning.

B: That you should not judge too quickly about the reasons for someones harsh actions.

4. If someone who had never read comics asked you about the character, wanting the bare facts, how would you succinctly sum up the origin? Who are the close supporting characters?

A: A super-soldier injected with strength serum in order to help protect the American way of life and rid the world of evil. (Bucky and the Falcon help him and are on the same moral plane as he is.)

B: Prince of an undersea society who was awakened to action in order to preserve his societies way of life.

Hard to choose...I would have to spark my memory with a quick look at my books... crazy.gif

For the fans of Spider-Man, The Hulk, Captain America, or The X-Men, I'd like to ask some questions. When you answer, please tell me to which character you're refering. Feel free to choose more than one, but separate them, so I can keep track. None of these questions refer to specific artists or writers, I'm talking about the character(s). Answer whichever you feel like, or answer them all. I'm especially interested in the first and third questions.

• 1. What draws you to that character?

My thanks to anyone who answers. I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say. As you know, I've never read Marvel Comics, so in all but the most rudimentary ways, you will be talking to someone who doesn't know the answers to most of these questions. Get me excited about them, by telling me why you are so drawn to them.

-- Joanna

Hi Joanna....my favorite all-time character is Spider-Man, it's the first comic I read as a kid (ASM # 3 as a 6 year old).

1. The thing that originally drew me to the character was the costume. I thought it was the coolest one out there. Also, the name "Spider" Man intrigued me. He has real life problems...he was originally a dork, so I definitely identified with him. Plus I think his gallery of villians is the best in comic book history.

2. The driving force behind Spider-Man (aka Peter Parker), and this was covered beautifully in the movie by Sam Raimi, is his indecisiveness in his persona. He is uncomfortable as a super-hero, and he at times tries to distance himself from his powers when his personal life is interfered with. This is what makes him human, in my eyes, rather than screaming, "To The Batpoles", everytime crime is afoot.

3. Reading these books as a kid made me realize that super-heroes (if they in fact existed) were people just like me with problems of their own. This is why I feel Marvel books were so superior to DC's (except maybe Batman).

4. Bitten by a radioactive spider at a science exhibit. Primary supporting players are (were) Aunt May, Mary Jane Watson, Harry Osborn, Gwen Stacy.

5. Favorite story arc is the death of Gwen Stacy ASM #121-122. Really effected me as I felt that she was a real person because she was one of the first femal characters to see that Peter wasn't so much of a dork. I couldn't believe they killed her off.

1) Captain America, for the simple fact that he embodies all the typical, stereotypical hero qualities. Like Superman, but with much more reasonable powers. His powers are just barely out of grasp of the everyman.

2) His whole driving force is non-political, just do what's right. He's always been written with an almost over-the top cheesey leadership quality, that, again, is stereotypical of a true mythological hero.

3) As corny as it sounds, when I was a kid I based a lot of my moral value decisions on what would CA do in this situation?

4) the usual

5) Anytime a story arc includes the "what can he do, he doesn't have any powers" schtick, I love it. (Like in Batman) I also enjoy the hell out of the fact that people like Thor, Hercules, and other major powerhouses defer to him in tactical situations...I love watching Cap kick the [!@#%^&^] out of somebody with mega powers through shill will and persistence.

Captain America

I didn't read the previous Cap post in order to provide my personal interpretation. It will be interesting to compare the views after I type this thing.

Originally it was the artwork of Jack Kirby(Tales of Suspense) but after reading his other books only Cap could still reel me in. Comics are about escapism and fantasy but Cap still feels rooted in the real world. He is an amalgam of all of the aspects that make our society great. As comic characters keep getting more elaborate, fanciful, and sometimes downright scary, Cap can still portray the average Joe's sensability.

Again Cap is a composite of America. His origin is centered around a sacrifice of self for the sake of other. He's always thinking about the other guy more than himself.

Cap along with Spidey helped to create a core of strong moral belief in standing up for your principles, the little guy, and your responsibilities. G.A and S.A. Cap are as American(white bread) as you can get but over the years the good writers have developed Cap where he can appreciate every person's good attributes regardless of skin color, religion, and gender. He has evolved along with the rest of us into a more tolerant society, however he hasn't thrown out the baby with the dishwater(i.e. he's been able to hang onto his own personal moral convictions while still being willing to see the other guys side of things, natzis not included).

During WWII puny Steve Rogers, a puny military reject, volunteered as a guiney pig for an experimental serum aimed at creating a super soldier capable of ending the war. The serum was a success and Rogers was physically transformed into the peak limits of a human body. During the war he was accidently frozen in ice only to be revived in the Modern world. Cap continues to fight against injustice in the world while adjusting to the changes that have occured in society.

The fun irony is that he became the perfect physical example of Hitler's desired Aryan race, but his American way of thinking always keeps puting the needs of others above his own(he waves "Old Glory" doesn't seek glory).

Supporting characters -

can't separate the military aspect - Nick Fury, Sharon Carter

Teammates - Avengers-Iron Man especially, Hawkeye-his avengers protege

Enemies - Red Skull, Crossbones, A.I.M., Modak-basically any and all terrorists

friends - his many girlfriends(I miss Bernie); Rick Jones

The Cosmic Cube saga starting in TOS is a good example of the best of Cap. Once again he's out powered by the bad guy...most people have lost hope....but Cap keeps own fighting...he always believes in himself and his goal...He wins in the end not by force alone but with his desire and heart. Cap for President was another good story. Favorite all time issue is Byrne's Baron Blood story issue #254?

The X-Men

1. I always liked Cyclops. I admired the fact that he was able to lead such a dysfunctinal group of people. I also enjoyed his conflicts with Wolverine. Two very different individuals clashing on a regular basis.

2. Belief in Xavier's dream of harmony and equality between people. Also, Scott is a leader and his place in the X-Men allows him to fullfill that roll.

3. The same moral lesson as old guy. Though my parents get all of the credit for teaching me to respect others regardless of who they are, it was interesting to see the drama played out in a comic book.

4. A group of individuals born with special powers who try to overcome the fear others have of them through acts of good will and open lines of communication.

5. I picked up the X-Men during Paul Smith's tenure as artist and followed them through roughly issue 220. Though the Dark Phoenix Saga (129-137) is the classic arc, the run I came on board at is my prsonal favorite.

Excellent question Joanna.

Russ

Since others have been covered, I'll give my take on the Hulk....

Of all the Marvel characters, the Hulk had no agenda. Banner would be stressing about one thing or another but after changing, and eliminating whatever problem prompted the change, the Hulk was actually a very peaceful dude. I always loved that counterpoint.

All he wants to do is be left alone. He was a child. I always said that the Hulk was based off of Frankenstein much more than Jeckell and Hyde. Anyone that's seen the original movie, and the death of the child in the pond, should be able to relate the action to the Hulk character.

No not really. I did know that I loved the comic and HATED the TV show. I guess I learned early that translating the comics to other mediums rarely worked. Superman excepted.

Meek science guy has accident and changes into the most powerful human on Earth but with the mind of a three year old. US Army wants to recruit him real bad..... grin.gif

His love of Jorella. Most pure romance in comics in my opinion. The Hulk was happy....finally and had someone who truly cared for him...the Hulk, and not Banner. I was sad when Gwen Stacy died. I was sadder when the same happened to Jorella.

Also, I must say the Peter David's Gamma Bomb storyline was just fantastic and possibly the best Hulk story ever told. It just made complete sense that Hulk/Banner would try to stop it.

Is that enough?

Jim

I'll throw my take in on the Hulk as well...

1. I was a fan of the Hulk in the late 70s, early 80s, when he was basically a misunderstood pitiful child-like creature that the world looked at as a monster. The world didn't see him as a hero and the army was always hot on his tail. He ended up brawling most of the time with other heroes in the Marvel Universe. And I suppose this was what drew me to him. He just wanted to be left alone, but the 'puny humans' wouldn't leave him alone and so he acted out the only way he knew how - and that was with his rage.

2. Hulk wanted to be left alone, but at the same time he wanted friends. But he couldn't trust the humans. He only wanted a place where he could live in peace. He found that once in Jarella's world (alternate planet where everyone was green-skinned and Hulk was King to Jarella's Queen), but she was slain.

3. Being a kid, it was pretty cool to see a big green guy go ape on the people that pissed him off. As a child, (and a very small child), I thought how cool it would be to transform into the Hulk and make a bully turn tail. I could identify with the Hulk.

4. While trying to save the life of a teenager who wanders onto an Army testing site, Dr. Bruce Banner is exposed to Gamma Rays during an explosion. From that point on when Banner becomes angry he transforms into the strongest being on the face of the Earth...the Hulk! Some of his friends include: Doc Samson, Rick Jones, Betty Ross.

5. I would have to say my favorite story arc involving the Hulk would be the four or five issues prior to No. 300. After years of dealing with the Hulk's animalistic nature, Banner is finally able to control his transformation to ole' green skin. But this is undone when the demon Nightmare, seeking to gain revenge on his old foe Dr. Strange, re-releases the 'Hulk Smash side'. Hulk becomes increasingly berserk (laying waste to much of New York), Banner seemingly disappears forever inside Hulk's subconscious, and Strange is forced to banish Hulk to another dimension.

It sounds like Cap has a strong moral base, i.e. it's about right and wrong, and he's willing to do what he can to make sure 'right' wins. Am I close?

Yeah, that's how I'd put it.

... which might be where I got my "ability" tongue.gif to see things only in black-and-white.

Thanks for asking,

Fan4Fan

This is for Amazing Spider-Man.

Peter Parker has real life problems and situations that I can relate too. He does not live in a perfect world and just because he has the powers of a Super Spider, he still must deal with life like we all do. That's one of the driving forces behind Marvel's comic hero's that really appeals to me. He's not made to be big and bulky like other hero's. He just looks like the man down the street with some muscle tone. He has employment issues with J.J. Jameson, doesn't have a father like a lot of people. He's just more down to earth. You almost feel his pain as you're reading along.

As a kid, I thought that shooting webbing out of his hands with those contraptions that he invented was just so cool.

He just can't rely on his Super Powers to save him because his powers are not that great. He has to use his wit and smarts to overcome whoever he is fighting. There is a lot of soap opera appeal with him dealing with the women in his life like Mary Jane or the late Gwen Stacey. Always something going on.

Spider-Man taught me that I'm not the only one with problems and I must learn how deal with them and be respectible of others. Life isn't fair and life goes on and you have to adjust.

Regular person got bit by a radioactive spider which gave him super spider powers that turned into a hero after his uncle Ben was murdered and he had a chance to stop the murderer. His close supporting characters are Aunt May and Mary Jane.

The death of Gwen Stacey in issues #121 and #122. Amazing Spider-Man #119 was the first Spider-Man comic that I started to read on an ongoing basis.

When Gwen was killed, I was in total shock. I always thought that the hero would save the damsel in distress and dish out the punishment on the villian.

Actual people dying that were so close to Heroes was just unthinkable at the time. I had just starting reading comics and nobody really good died up until then.

I nearly quit reading Spider-Man, but I had to know how Peter Parker was going to deal with Gwens death. It felt kind of good when the Green Goblin was put to rest.

The revenge factor was cool.

These are all great responses. You're really giving me insights into these characters. Thank you all so much!

If you haven't responded, feel free to join in. I'm very interested in what you have to say.

-- Joanna